Eager to learn

Many thanks for this. It does seem to be very polarised.

I have noticed that religion seems to be very important in US politics. Religious politicians tend to keep their heads down in the UK. Its considered a bit weird.

I noticed that the US Episcopals have had problems with the Anglicans over Gay Marriage but they dont seem to be as vocal as the church groups who dont like homosexuality. Thats a shame.

Hi Tommy Tainant
Behind all the political conflicts and battles going on there are basically two schools of thought driving the left and right sides of the spectrum

A. the conservatives came from the Classic Liberal approach of Locke
favoring LIMITED govt, the role of the Constitution to check govt where natural rights are inherent in human nature as given by God
and not dependent on govt but the opposite. that the role of the Constitution and people is to check govt to prevent collective authority from usurping too much

So these are the people who believe in states' rights and sovereignty and are as against depending on a central federal govt controlling everything
as the anti-federalists were back in the day. Same thing, different stage of history.
Belief in people having maximum freedom and liberty through free market and private sector,
and keep govt as much as possible out of the way.

B. the liberals come from the Radical Liberal approach of Rousseau
and the idea of using govt to establish and enforce the will of the people

so one side trusts government to be the way of the people
the other side doesn't trust government but trusts the people directly

A = pushes for minimum govt = if it isn't specifically in the Constitution then it can't be assumed to be within govt jurisdiction
B = pushes to use govt to make things public and equal for all people = if it isn't BARRED by the Constitution specifically, then it's fair game to make laws
that go there until stopped by courts etc.

Now what gets REALLY messed up is how these camps place the relationship between church and state

A. the Christians and a lot of conservatives/Constitutionalists will put
God and God's laws first as the default (many using the Bible or religion to express this)
and then say Govt is supposed to supplement and be in accord with God's law not against it

B. the secular will make Govt the default for all people
and then say the church and religions are OPTIONAL under that.

So they don't even stack the authority and priorities the same way.
It's no wonder the sides cannot see each other's views, they are coming from the opposite directions.

The solution I see is to have CONSENSUS between the camps and sets of laws.

For example if we agree murder is wrong, it doesn't matter if someone puts church/God's laws first and then say govt/secular laws follow and agree.
Or if someone puts the govt/secular laws first, and then notes that the religious laws happen to agree.

We agree either way, so it doesn't matter how each side arrives at that justification or explains it.

But where we don't agree, this gets messy.
In order to push one set of beliefs over the others, people collectively
use their political parties and media to bully and bulldoze by cutting down and discrediting the other side.

So that's where we are right now.
Instead of people agreeing to work together including our differences,
it is still a battle of trying to get the majority to push one party's platform of beliefs over the opposing side,
usually by hate campaigns, negative fear based propaganda,
exploiting fears about guns, abortion, homosexuality, immigrants, Muslims
any hot button issue to get people stirred up to go vote for their candidates or against the others.

It's not about solutions, it's about winning control out of fear the other party will dominate.

That's what I see happening.
There are solutions in the background, but these don't get media attention.
All the fighting, backbiting, etc. is what sells the hype to get people to donate to the election campaigns
where the media makes more and more money the longer they can stretch out the election seasons and cycles.

I'll come back to this later, when I have more time.

There are some really angry people on here. I am quite glad that there is an Ocean between us !

Is there anything that everyone agrees on ?

I know. They are truly an embarrassment. Please don't go away hating American's. :D

tumblr_m1z9b57mHL1r5jtugo1_500.gif

Love America and Americans. Had a couple of great trips over there.

Good evening everybody.

Joined up to get a bit more insight into American politics ahead of the election.

I live in the UK and am not a US voter.

To be honest, I am laid up with a broken ankle and I am finding it difficult to occupy myself between meal times.

Hoping to have it all explained to me over the next few weeks.

Many thanks,

TT.
Did you hurt your ankle from dancing?
My wife left the lid off the inspection pit in the garage.. She didnt actually push me down the hole but.....................
It could be a bit of a hint...

Good evening everybody.

Joined up to get a bit more insight into American politics ahead of the election.

To be honest, I am laid up with a broken ankle and I am finding it difficult to occupy myself between meal times.

Many thanks,

TT.
My wife left the lid off the inspection pit in the garage.. She didnt actually push me down the hole but.....................
All is not well in the House of Tommy. The conspiracy theory may have substance.She is happy that I have found this site because it keeps me occupied.

Good evening everybody.

Many thanks,

TT.
All is not well in the House of Tommy. The conspiracy theory may have substance.She is happy that I have found this site because it keeps me occupied.
I had to move the wife 40 miles away to make my marriage a happy one..

Good evening everybody.

Many thanks,

TT.
I see you have pretty much established yourself....welcome to the board, TT. :)

Forum List

Back