Dylan performing at Grammys tonight

Not what he was, but still a legend. Can't wait.

you know, dylan has written some of the best songs ever. i really wish i could stand listening to him sing them.

i saw him at shea stadium with springsteen and it took 10 minutes to figure out what song he was doing.

Dylan invented pot.

That's a big part of the problem :)

He is definitely an acquired taste as a performer, and a genius as a writer.

I never liked Dylan. He sounds like shit when he sings and always has. Even his songs suck.

I never liked Dylan. He sounds like shit when he sings and always has. Even his songs suck.
I never understood why Dylan, or Springsteen matter, became huge stars.

Mainly for their writing. Both have "unusual" voices, but there is a niche for that.

Dylan knows 10 chords, and plays the harmonica, but he came along when folk was popular. Born in the 80s, we wouldn't know his name.

Jackson Browne knows 8 chords.

Springsteen knows 4 chords, maybe 5.

Which is 2 more than Jimmy Buffet.

It doesn't take a lot of talent to be successful if you're a good writer. Billy Joel didn't become successful until he "dumbed it down" and started writing commercially marketable songs as opposed to the more intricate stuff he was trained in. His best stuff is the early stuff, before Piano Man, and the stuff most people never heard of. If you ever have a chance to see Joel in concert with a symphony, go. You'll have to sit through a lot of pop and crap, but he will do at least one or two of his Concertos, and they will blow you away. He is an amazing pianist. MUCH better than he is a writer or performer. Among the best on Earth today.

Randy Newman is one of the greatest writers ever, but like Dylan and Springsteen, he has a "unique" voice. I love him, but most can't stand his voice.

You just never know.

The best musicians on Earth are people you've never heard of, and never will.

Mainly for their writing. Both have "unusual" voices, but there is a niche for that.

Dylan knows 10 chords, and plays the harmonica, but he came along when folk was popular. Born in the 80s, we wouldn't know his name.

It doesn't take a lot of talent to be successful if you're a good writer. Billy Joel didn't become successful until he "dumbed it down" and started writing commercially marketable songs as opposed to the more intricate stuff he was trained in. His best stuff is the early stuff, before Piano Man, and the stuff most people never heard of. If you ever have a chance to see Joel in concert with a symphony, go. You'll have to sit through a lot of pop and crap, but he will do at least one or two of his Concertos, and they will blow you away. He is an amazing pianist. MUCH better than he is a writer or performer. Among the best on Earth today.

Randy Newman is one of the greatest writers ever, but like Dylan and Springsteen, he has a "unique" voice. I love him, but most can't stand his voice.

You just never know.

Did you by any chance get to hear the Billy Joel interview on Howard Stern? Billy did a lot of his hits and requests in studio and just like you say, he's an incredible piano player! But my ex-wife loves him so I got tired of him real quick. :lol:

I always liked that Jackson Browne tune "Redneck Friend", a song that has nothing to do with Southern Gentlemen! :lol:

I have listened to one of Bruces' bandmates, Nils Lofgren through a set of online guitar lessons he gives, what an incredible talent he is huh? No surprise to me that he's great friends with another musical genius Neil Young.

I've read numerous guitar rags that say that Springsteen is not a "guitar player" but merely a "guitar strummer". But it's like you said if you're a good writer and surround yourself with talent, who knows what could happen.

You just never know.

Did you by any chance get to hear the Billy Joel interview on Howard Stern? Billy did a lot of his hits and requests in studio and just like you say, he's an incredible piano player! But my ex-wife loves him so I got tired of him real quick. :lol:

I always liked that Jackson Browne tune "Redneck Friend", a song that has nothing to do with Southern Gentlemen! :lol:

I have listened to one of Bruces' bandmates, Nils Lofgren through a set of online guitar lessons he gives, what an incredible talent he is huh? No surprise to me that he's great friends with another musical genius Neil Young.

I've read numerous guitar rags that say that Springsteen is not a "guitar player" but merely a "guitar strummer". But it's like you said if you're a good writer and surround yourself with talent, who knows what could happen.

Didn't catch Joel on Stern. Like you, I burned out on him through an ex wife :) Still like to hear him "impromptu" though when I can.

And the best thing that ever happened to Jackson Browne was him going solo. His concerts now are amazing. Such a great voice, and he's a good picker, GREAT writer. If he comes to town, go.

Springsteen is a smart guy. Great marketing, and he surround himself with really good musicians. Clarence Carter is another world class player (sax). Springsteen was smart enough to write to those musicians' talents, and then market very well.

Chris Thile is perhaps the greatest mandolin player ever (and I mean ever), but if he picks up a banjo, don't go anywhere.....amazing! Steve Martin is a virtuoso on the banjo as well.

There are so many great musicians who "do other things," and there are so many more who we'll never hear of.

There are so many great musicians who "do other things," and there are so many more who we'll never hear of.

Exactly. That's why the Grammys are not a true measurement for what is "Great Music" but for who sells the most albums to the masses.

Radio airplay and itunes are why these folks are nominated for Grammys, not talent.

Forum List

Back