Dunes Sourdough!

koshergrl

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2011
I've really been into the whole self sufficiency thing lately, in my modest way. I've been baking bread for my family more (we don't rely entirely upon home baked bread, but it probably represents 1/3-1/2 of the bread we do eat). I've been canning and making jam, focusing on items that are readily available to me, and to facilitate a move away from fast foods, prepared foods, and commercially processed foods. It isn't like a big momentous decision I made one day or anything...we do eat fast food and store bought bread and processed foods...but I'm trying to keep from eating nothing BUT fast/processed/prepared foods.

I'm going to make wine but I have no plans regarding THAT. I just want to see how it goes; if it's easy and it is palatable, even as an old-fashioned "tonic" then that's okay..or it might lead to making some awesome vinegar..my point is I'm not committed to wine making like I am to the food processing thing.

My mother had sourdough starter that she kept, at different times of the year, either out on the counter in a big earthenware mixing bowl and covered with a towel, or in the fridge in a mason jar...for waffles and pancakes, she'd use that as her base and she made AMAZING waffles and pancakes. She never used it much for bread; when she made bread she made standard white bread and it was lovely; her biscuits were also non-sourdough, and divine.

But I'm fascinated by the concept of sourdough for bread. Yeast costs money, and I find myself wondering "what if I didn't have access to store-bought yeast?" Subsequently, I decided to try creating a sourdough starter of my own.

Sourdough captures yeast from tne environment, and the yeast produces the rise for your doughs...you don't need to add any yeast.

Different sourdough from different environments tastes different. San Francisco is world famous for their sourdough, and it's because the wild yeast that flourishes there is appealing to many people.

I started mine in my microwave, which is situated above my stove. We are in and out of the microwave a dozen times a day..and the environment is a little warm, a little moist. We live on the coast, and our house is located in the midst of the dunes. A tidal river is about 1/2 mile away, if that far. We are surrounded by a vast assortment of plant life...pine and fir, scotch broom, blackberry, huckleberry, salal. Moss, lol...even cedar here and there.

So I started it in the microwave, and I think it is going to be incredible. I used a little to make a couple of pancakes today, just to taste it...and it's definitely awesome. I need to hit on a perfect pancake recipe, because I literally just added some flour and a little milk and then cooked them..and they were good, but I think next time I will add salt, milk and some rendered bacon fat as well.

I'm going to make some bread; perhaps tonight, maybe not until this weekend. It takes it much longer to rise, I guess. I don't know.

If it turns out like I expect it to, I'm going to eventually sell it at the farmer's markets around here that run all week.

At least that's my plan today.

Tomorrow, I may decide I'm going to be an astronaut.

Lactobacillus sanfranciscensis

if you want to have "san francisco" style/taste sourdough....you can order a starter yeast on the web.

Have you ever heard of Amish friendship bread? You may like that too :)

I have made Amish friendship bread, and I do like it...

The whole thing I'm going for is a completely local sourdough...I don't want San Francisco sourdough, I want Oregon Coast sourdough.

Which should be very similar.

The whole thing I'm going for is a completely local sourdough...I don't want San Francisco sourdough, I want Oregon Coast sourdough.

Strange as it may sound.... try making starter in several different places around the house, other people houses.... and even start one at the beach and in the woods on a warm day. If you are going try and catch a wild yeast indigenous to the area that is the way to do it.

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!

And market them that way..seriously.

"Day at the Beach" lol
"Silcoots Manna"

"Microwave Oven" haha
"Dog bed" lolol

These are the things that my mind spends time on....

Lactobacillus sanfranciscensis

if you want to have "san francisco" style/taste sourdough....you can order a starter yeast on the web.

Have you ever heard of Amish friendship bread? You may like that too :)

I bought my starters from:

Sourdough Cultures

I have the San Francisco and Bahrain as active cultures...the latter is richer and more active.

I want to add honey to the dough and see what happens, too.

I had to get honey for the dandelion wine (indefinitely on hold until I get the few winemaking things I need...but I'm going to have to order online. It's cheaper than driving...) and at some point I'm going to make some dough with a good dollop in it...

And then even more interesting would be to see how the culture processes honey if you save some of the honey mixture back.

If I get it down, I'm seriously going to rent an industrial kitchen somewhere (and we do have those around) and spend a couple of days making bread and jam, and take it to a big farmer's market and sell it.

And just see what shakes loose.

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!

And market them that way..seriously.

"Day at the Beach" lol
"Silcoots Manna"

"Microwave Oven" haha
"Dog bed" lolol

These are the things that my mind spends time on....

yeah, i see what you are aiming for....and wild yeast from the microwave..... not so appealing. :lol:

The only way to know is to give it a try.... what you are really doing is microbiology.....growing up cultures.

I want to add honey to the dough and see what happens, too.

I had to get honey for the dandelion wine (indefinitely on hold until I get the few winemaking things I need...but I'm going to have to order online. It's cheaper than driving...) and at some point I'm going to make some dough with a good dollop in it...

And then even more interesting would be to see how the culture processes honey if you save some of the honey mixture back.

i would put honey in the final bread mix.... not the mother.

But maybe it will produce some sort of alcoholic beverage!

Ok then, no honey in the mother....

I'm letting the starter go for a couple more days...then I'll bake some bread (or try to) this weekend.

But maybe it will produce some sort of alcoholic beverage!

Ok then, no honey in the mother....

I'm letting the starter go for a couple more days...then I'll bake some bread (or try to) this weekend.

i would also suggest leaving the mother out for several months....before storing it in the fridge.....it helps to develop its flavor profile.

Ph is important to the health of the yeast and bacteria..... (don't ask i cant remember the exact what nots) .... but a SMALL bit of pineapple juice is good....they like the acid... but just a bit!

Last edited:
It probably inhibits bad bacteria. Vinegar is a magic substance.

I'm going to keep playing with it for a while...I'm going to make some bread this weekend...if it's decent, will have friends sample it on Monday.

Sourdough bread is all I eat. I loved Colombo ( sp ) when living in Northern California and that is all I would buy. There is one I love in Oregon, if I can find it and it is called Portland Sourdough, and OMG it is so delish.

Meanwhile I settle for Seattle Sourdough Baking Company, "Waterfront Sourdough." Really the best I can find, when I can't find Portland.

I made sourdough biscuits the other night..they looked beautiful, and I liked them...I made them sort of late at night, so the kids didn't taste them right out of the oven. My son is not a fan of store-bought sourdough, so I doubt if he's going to be an enthusiastic taster....But my daughter had one with her 4th of July plate; I warmed it and put butter and homemade strawberry jam on half, and she asked for seconds (but then didn't eat it...which didn't surprise me, she ate a lot of chicken).

My starter is now in two containers and even though we are in a very humid area, I have started dampening the towels that go over the containers, and the stuff really seems to like it!

006_zps3d75dbe2.jpg

My oven is truly disgusting, I notice every single time I take a picture of it.

I hate cleaning ovens. They never work the same afterwards, and the element will INEVITABLY go out right after you clean it.

But I rent, so who cares....my landlord will replace it!

I'm so relieved. I can clean my oven. Oh joy.

I would love a new oven. Maybe it will be a good thing if something happens to this one!

Last edited:

Forum List

Back