Dumb and Dumberer, that's America.

Progressives are in charge of education. Hence its substandard, corrupt and depraved state.

The primary function of a progressive school is to sexualize and teach children to hate their parents and all traditional values, and to vote democrat.

Mission accomplished, guys! Winner winner chicken dinner, you have achieved perfection!

Texas Conservatives Win Curriculum Change

There are seven members of the conservative bloc on the board, but they are often joined by one of the other three Republicans on crucial votes. There were no historians, sociologists or economists consulted at the meetings, though some members of the conservative bloc held themselves out as experts on certain topics.

The conservative members maintain that they are trying to correct what they see as a liberal bias among the teachers who proposed the curriculum. To that end, they made dozens of minor changes aimed at calling into question, among other things, concepts like the separation of church and state and the secular nature of the American Revolution.

“I reject the notion by the left of a constitutional separation of church and state,” said David Bradley, a conservative from Beaumont who works in real estate. “I have $1,000 for the charity of your choice if you can find it in the Constitution.”

They also included a plank to ensure that students learn about “the conservative resurgence of the 1980s and 1990s, including Phyllis Schlafly, the Contract With America, the Heritage Foundation, the Moral Majority and the National Rifle Association.”

Dr. McLeroy, a dentist by training, pushed through a change to the teaching of the civil rights movement to ensure that students study the violent philosophy of the Black Panthers in addition to the nonviolent approach of the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. He also made sure that textbooks would mention the votes in Congress on civil rights legislation, which Republicans supported.

“Republicans need a little credit for that,” he said. “I think it’s going to surprise some students.”

Mr. Bradley won approval for an amendment saying students should study “the unintended consequences” of the Great Society legislation, affirmative action and Title IX legislation. He also won approval for an amendment stressing that Germans and Italians as well as Japanese were interned in the United States during World War II, to counter the idea that the internment of Japanese was motivated by racism.

Other changes seem aimed at tamping down criticism of the right. Conservatives passed one amendment, for instance, requiring that the history of McCarthyism include “how the later release of the Venona papers confirmed suspicions of communist infiltration in U.S. government.” The Venona papers were transcripts of some 3,000 communications between the Soviet Union and its agents in the United States.

Mavis B. Knight, a Democrat from Dallas, introduced an amendment requiring that students study the reasons “the founding fathers protected religious freedom in America by barring the government from promoting or disfavoring any particular religion above all others.”

It was defeated on a party-line vote.

After the vote, Ms. Knight said, “The social conservatives have perverted accurate history to fulfill their own agenda.”

In economics, the revisions add Milton Friedman and Friedrich von Hayek, two champions of free-market economic theory, among the usual list of economists to be studied, like Adam Smith, Karl Marx and John Maynard Keynes. They also replaced the word “capitalism” throughout their texts with the “free-enterprise system.”

“Let’s face it, capitalism does have a negative connotation,” said one conservative member, Terri Leo. “You know, ‘capitalist pig!’ ”

In the field of sociology, another conservative member, Barbara Cargill, won passage of an amendment requiring the teaching of “the importance of personal responsibility for life choices” in a section on teenage suicide, dating violence, sexuality, drug use and eating disorders.

“The topic of sociology tends to blame society for everything,” Ms. Cargill said.

Even the course on world history did not escape the board’s scalpel.

Cynthia Dunbar, a lawyer from Richmond who is a strict constitutionalist and thinks the nation was founded on Christian beliefs, managed to cut Thomas Jefferson from a list of figures whose writings inspired revolutions in the late 18th century and 19th century, replacing him with St. Thomas Aquinas, John Calvin and William Blackstone. (Jefferson is not well liked among conservatives on the board because he coined the term “separation between church and state.”)

“The Enlightenment was not the only philosophy on which these revolutions were based,” Ms. Dunbar said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/13/education/13texas.html?_r=0

Conservatives are very much in control of education in conservative states.

Last edited:
A tiny percentage of the population. Their advanced scores do nothing to pull the rest of the nation up.

Progressives are in charge of education. Hence its substandard, corrupt and depraved state.

The primary function of a progressive school is to sexualize and teach children to hate their parents and all traditional values, and to vote democrat.

Mission accomplished, guys! Winner winner chicken dinner, you have achieved perfection!

Are you a teacher?

No, I made a conscious decision to avoid that nightmare when i was quite young. I've no interest in rubbing shoulders with teachers unions nor the assholes I see who infest our halls of learning at every level.

maybe we need to place a higher priority on education in this country.

It worked in the past

Yes, pay teachers according to the learnedness of their pupils.

Throw out the teacher's union, so that incompetent, abusive and/or predatory teachers can be tossed out on their ears post haste, and remove the teaching certificate and education degree requirements, and instead require that teachers show proficiency in the subjects they teach.

I personally will sign a petition calling for prison sentences for whomever is responsible for *educating* tdm, and rtard, and Delta.

It worked in the past

Yes, pay teachers according to the learnedness of their pupils.

Throw out the teacher's union, so that incompetent, abusive and/or predatory teachers can be tossed out on their ears post haste, and remove the teaching certificate and education degree requirements, and instead require that teachers show proficiency in the subjects they teach.

Maybe it's the material teachers have to use. Who picks the books? The unions? I doubt it. How can a teacher teach kids that don't want to be taught? Most of the teachers I've met were intelligent and dedicated the same as when I was a kid. This was in the 50's and early 60's and I really didn't want to be in school, like many boys. My grades weren't always that good but I sure couldn't blame my teachers. They really tried. I did better afterwards as an adult and took night classes to try to learn what I didn't back in the day.

If you cut out the inner city kids and yes I am saying the black and Mexicans (I know that isn't PC), then we rank close to the top!

Same with public schools in the suburbs that are composed of most white and asian kids. These highschools ranks towards the top and actually compete with the very good private schools!

It worked in the past

Hey numbnutz we spend more on "education" then any of those countries listed! The problem isn't the amount spend it's where it is spent. Take Cook County (which has some of the highest property taxes in the country). 60% of the property tax revenue is spent on the UNFUNDED teacher's pension. Think about it, 60% of the money marked for education goes to paying retired teachers. It's highway robbery. Imagine what could be done if that 60% actually went towards education?

Get the teachers into 401K and IRAs like everyone else in the private sector. Judge teachers not just the student! END TENURE!!! YEAR ROUND EDUCATION is a must. With the money saved on highway robbery pensions should go to more tutors in the classroom!

I know your a mental midget, so this will always go above your head!

All bullshit aside, the greatest impediments to public education in this country are (1) collective bargaining for teachers, and (2) government bureaucrats dictating various programs, sensitivities, social engineering, and so on. Give also an honorable mention to the "Legal Profession," most notably the ACLU which has instilled students with bizarre "rights" and protections that impede school discipline.

But that's only my opinion.

Pay-for-performance (i.e. test scores) is a good idea. Elimination of tenure's another. Longer school year as well. We're still using the original agrarian system is much of the problem. But also the de-emphasis of education. Job market too (if there aren't any skilled careers in the country as those get outsourced, it's difficult to convince anyone of the importance of such education. Unfortunately, that's the nature of business, earn profits. If you can do that outsourcing labor to cheaper markets, that's what you should do.)

Pay-for-performance (i.e. test scores) is a good idea. Elimination of tenure's another. Longer school year as well. We're still using the original agrarian system is much of the problem. But also the de-emphasis of education. Job market too (if there aren't any skilled careers in the country as those get outsourced, it's difficult to convince anyone of the importance of such education. Unfortunately, that's the nature of business, earn profits. If you can do that outsourcing labor to cheaper markets, that's what you should do.)

What's wrong with tenure? Just asking.

Garbage in, garbage out.

In many of these countries, dumb kids are systematically weeded out of the test pool.

Maybe dumb teachers should be weeded out. After all of these decades with millions of books written we can't find books written by people smarter than most teachers. LOL

Thinking as a Science (1916) by Henry Hazlitt
Henry Hazlitt - Thinking as a Science
http://librivox.org/thinking-as-a-science-by-henry-hazlitt/

What would happen if teachers were forced to teach with books written by really brainy people. Isaac Asimov's IQ was 160. He wrote a book about Shakespeare. What is the IQ of most high school English teachers?

psik

SATScoresbyType | educationrealist
\
Cant give you IQs but we can give you SAT scores.

English teachers (probably not surprisingly) do BETTER THAN AVERAGE in SAT VERBAL and lower than average on SAT math.

These scores are being compared to SAT scores of COLLEGE GRADUATES, incidentally.

So your theory, that English teachers are dumb, isn't really supported by the data, lad.

No matter how much you hated your English teachers, they are (statistically- speaking) about as smart as other college grads.

Last edited by a moderator:
Garbage in, garbage out.

In many of these countries, dumb kids are systematically weeded out of the test pool.

Maybe dumb teachers should be weeded out. After all of these decades with millions of books written we can't find books written by people smarter than most teachers. LOL

Thinking as a Science (1916) by Henry Hazlitt
Henry Hazlitt - Thinking as a Science
http://librivox.org/thinking-as-a-science-by-henry-hazlitt/

What would happen if teachers were forced to teach with books written by really brainy people. Isaac Asimov's IQ was 160. He wrote a book about Shakespeare. What is the IQ of most high school English teachers?

psik

SATScoresbyType | educationrealist
\
Cant give you IQs but we can give you SAT scores.

English teachers (probably not surprisingly) do BETTER THAN AVERAGE in SAT VERBAL and lower than average on SAT math.

These scores are being compared to SAT scores of COLLEGE GRADUATES, incidentally.

So your theory, that English teachers are dumb, isn't really supported by the data, lad.

No matter how much you hated your English teachers, they are (statistically- speaking) about as smart as other college grads.

So I've asked before, who decides what books teachers use to teach?

Last edited by a moderator:

Who said I HATED English teachers?

But it is technology which requires math that has been changing society for decades and will continue to do so. Doing English with SF makes more sense the Shakespeare. It made more sense in the 60s.

Science fiction as a factor in science education - Gross - 2006 - Science Education - Wiley Online Library

psik

Forum List

Back