Drumming and dancing

koshergrl

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2011
The kids are involved in a drumming/dancing session; they'll dance at their first pow wow in March. They learned more about the traditions of the drum and the dances in 2 hours than they learned in a lifetime on the reservation back home, and everybody participated both in drumming and dancing, it was lovely..

I think it's going to be a good thing for my boy. His favorite things...hitting things with sticks and jumping around. He's athletic, but not a fast runner, so some other sports will be challenging for him (track, football...he will be able to play football, but he isn't going to have the size to go far, and he doesn't have the speed to excell as a quarterback. But boy can he THROW). He's good at baseball...but the whole Indian dance thing is going to be good for him because the steps are fairly controlled. As he gets more accomplished, he can get more flamboyant, but the touch-step touch-step was a little difficult for him, and that's a good thing because the songs are pretty long so he got to practice a LOT. Once he gets that down, he can start bending his knees, twirling in circles, and acting like different animals which will be right up his alley. But he's got to get that basic step down, and that's good for his coordination and muscle control.
For the girl it's great because they emphasize ladylike movements and behaviors....she's a bold outgoing, flamboyant and fairly loud girl, so this is really good for her, too, learnign to soften her movements, engage in subtlety in her movements. It's fascinating and I can see a lot of really positive things coming from it.

She has the drums on Tuesdays..then Wed and Thu it's pep squad, which is definitely about exaggerated movements, pretty low on modesty, subtlety, and ladylike behavior..I think it will be a good combination for her. And the boy is starting basketball for the first time..the dancing will help with his footwork while dribbling.

Now I've got to start making regalia. Since I'm not native and have very little contact with that side of the family, this could be interesting. I think a wing dress and jingles for her. Maybe a ribbon shirt for him to start with. We'll see.

Forum List

Back