Driving for Nancies

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I recently got a car magazine that featured a comparison test between a Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, and a comparably sized BMW 3 or 4 series.

I realize that in some ways I'm a driving dinosaur, but when you look at all the technological bullshit that today's high-end performance cars have, it is very much like they are trying to sell you faux skill. Think about it:

First came ABS brakes, so that you wouldn't lock up the brakes and kill yourself. Then we got traction control and stability control. Then the high end cars all started coming out as 4WD (or AWD, whatever...). Then automatic transmissions that were shiftable, and now they have at least 8 gears, and they shift faster than any human - "dual clutch automatic."

And when you get right down to it, all of these are simply attempts to make allowances for people who cannot drive competently.

Start with a front-engine, rear drive car with a stick shift. What else do you need if you are a competent driver? ABS? Fuck no; keep your car under control. Traction control (other than for ice and snow)? Fuck no. Learn how to modulate the clutch! Stability control? Bullshit. Keep your car under control. A slush box? Gimme a fukkin break.

Worst is the Porsche 911. Without all the gadgets the car wouldn't even exist. With that much power, rear wheel drive, and no electronic wizardry, if you drove it enthusiastically you would wrap it around the first tree past the curve.

Cadillac has produced two of the best DRIVER'S cars in history in the CT4 & 5 Blackwing's, but they can't compete with cars having 4WD and all the computer nannies. Fuck 'em.

The next step will have cars that drive themselves around racetracks, so that rich people can brag about their lap times. We are not far from that now. A C8 Corvette with a mandatory slush box? Gimmeafukkinbreak.

I recently got a car magazine that featured a comparison test between a Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, and a comparably sized BMW 3 or 4 series.

I realize that in some ways I'm a driving dinosaur, but when you look at all the technological bullshit that today's high-end performance cars have, it is very much like they are trying to sell you faux skill. Think about it:

First came ABS brakes, so that you wouldn't lock up the brakes and kill yourself. Then we got traction control and stability control. Then the high end cars all started coming out as 4WD (or AWD, whatever...). Then automatic transmissions that were shiftable, and now they have at least 8 gears, and they shift faster than any human - "dual clutch automatic."

And when you get right down to it, all of these are simply attempts to make allowances for people who cannot drive competently.

Start with a front-engine, rear drive car with a stick shift. What else do you need if you are a competent driver? ABS? Fuck no; keep your car under control. Traction control (other than for ice and snow)? Fuck no. Learn how to modulate the clutch! Stability control? Bullshit. Keep your car under control. A slush box? Gimme a fukkin break.

Worst is the Porsche 911. Without all the gadgets the car wouldn't even exist. With that much power, rear wheel drive, and no electronic wizardry, if you drove it enthusiastically you would wrap it around the first tree past the curve.

Cadillac has produced two of the best DRIVER'S cars in history in the CT4 & 5 Blackwing's, but they can't compete with cars having 4WD and all the computer nannies. Fuck 'em.

The next step will have cars that drive themselves around racetracks, so that rich people can brag about their lap times. We are not far from that now. A C8 Corvette with a mandatory slush box? Gimmeafukkinbreak.
Does no good, accidents and deaths from them are way up

Well, yeah. That's the point. Unfortunately, people buy cars that are beyond their driving skill level. That fact is old as the hills, and won't change. Things like traction/stability control keep those people alive longer. I'm a gearhead that appreciates older muscle cars, but I know when I get stupid with them, I'm taking my life in my hands. Put a 1967 mustang against a 2022 mustang, and there's really no competition. The '22 is heavier, because of the electric googaws, but will trounce the '67 in just about every way. More horsepower, better safety, traction, stability and crash impact.

You can appreciate the solidness of the sheet metal on a '67, whereas a strong wind might just put a dent in the '22. This is by design. In a collision, today's crumple zone tech saves lives by transferring the energy of impact away from the passenger compartment. In a '67, you are the impact zone.

Speaking of ABS brakes. Just a little dirt will cause them to fail. I had that experience in my ford ranger, as did a local deputy in his patrol car.

Forum List

Back