Drilling Moratorium Extended for 7 Years

Yeah just think of all those jobs that we could create cleaning up spills.

I'm guessing that foreign countries will still be privy to drill in those exact waters.
Just another way to go through the back door and redistribute our wealth at the global level. When will the libs wake up, or admit this is exactly what's going on?

I'm guessing that you're making that up. Just like Dick Cheney did about the Chinese drilling 60 miles off the Fla. coast.

I'm guessing that foreign countries will still be privy to drill in those exact waters.
Just another way to go through the back door and redistribute our wealth at the global level. When will the libs wake up, or admit this is exactly what's going on?

I'm guessing that you're making that up. Just like Dick Cheney did about the Chinese drilling 60 miles off the Fla. coast.

I'm guessing that as long as it's in international waters we have no say in what other countries do.....right? Just what do you think they're going to do? Drill, baby, drill.

WAKE UP!

There are drilling rights for each country.

We control the drilling right a certain distance from our own shores.

If othe fuckers want to foul their shores then its their fault for drilling in their control areas.

We control our country not others countries.

How silly of you

How does one argue with a blooming moron? It's international waters (35 miles?)....we can't stop them.

"He said that because of the BP spill, the administration now understands the need to elevate safety and environmental standards. Before the spill, the administration had considered a plan to allow drilling in the eastern Gulf..."

There's some real screwy logic here IMO.

The administration recently lifted the drilling ban on existing gulf wells. And I presume they did so without elevating safety and environmental standards. Because if they had elevated them there would be no reason to ban new wells, just tell them to abide by the new standards. Which leads me to assume existing wells are operating under the same "old" standards. Which then begs the question of why they're good enough for the older wells but not new ones?

I think Barry is in dire need of a Logic Czar.

"He said that because of the BP spill, the administration now understands the need to elevate safety and environmental standards. Before the spill, the administration had considered a plan to allow drilling in the eastern Gulf..."

The administration recently lifted the drilling ban on existing gulf wells. And I presume they did so without elevating safety and environmental standards. Because if they had elevated them there would be no reason to ban new wells, just tell them to abide by the new standards. Which leads me to assume existing wells are operating under the same "old" standards. Which then begs the question of why they're good enough for the older wells but not new ones?

Barry isn't stupid, and it isn't about drilling oil. It's about letting other countries take the profits and not the US. It's wealth redistribution...it's not difficult to understand. Why won't people admit to this?

I'm guessing that as long as it's in international waters we have no say in what other countries do.....right? Just what do you think they're going to do? Drill, baby, drill.

WAKE UP!

PolitiFact: Stearns' claim about Chinese oil drilling in Gulf of Mexico is half true - St. Petersburg Times

First, some background. In 1977, Cuba and the United States negotiated maritime boundaries in the Gulf of Mexico and the waters south of the Florida Keys, called the Florida Straits, according to the U.S. Department of State. The boundaries, called Exclusive Economic Zones, give countries special rights of exploration and marine usage. Mexico, Cuba and the United States have EEZs in the gulf, and Cuba and the United States control the Florida Straits.

When it comes to oil, Cuba decides who drills in its EEZ and oil that may come from it — and the United States controls who can drill in its territory.

Is there drilling happening, now? "No," Pinon said.

Here's why: The decades-old embargo between the United States and Cuba makes oil production much more difficult for Cuba. Under terms of the embargo, Cuba would not be able to send its oil to the United States to be refined into gasoline and other petroleum products. And the companies drilling off Cuba's coast wouldn't be able to rely on American parts and machinery for drilling.

Trying to link China and Cuba when talking U.S. oil policy is nothing new. In 2008, then-Vice President Dick Cheney told directors of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce that "oil is being drilled right now 60 miles off the coast of Florida. But we're not doing it, the Chinese are, in cooperation with the Cuban government."

Cheney, who said the information came from a column by George Will, later walked back his remarks. So did Will, as part of a correction.

Stearns' congressional office, realizing Cheney's misstatement, noted that Stearns said that "Cuba wants to let China" drill, not that China is drilling. The distinction is important. Spokesman Paul Flusche also said the information on Stearns' campaign Web site hasn't been updated since 2008, so the information could be out of date.

On this point, it really isn't.

Stearns said: "Cuba wants to let the Chinese drill in some of the very parts of the gulf that American producers are currently forbidden to touch, as close as 45 miles off the Florida coast."

Cuba is negotiating a lease with China for offshore oil exploration, but it's not in the "very parts of the gulf that American producers are currently forbidden to touch."

Still, he's right in suggesting Cuba could end up drilling closer to U.S. shores than America currently allows in its offshore waters.

I figure the oil cmpanies want the moratorium extended.
Demand is down for oil and will continue to be depressed for some time.
Why would big oil want more oil on the market right now?

Of course publically big oil will say different.

WAKE UP!

PolitiFact: Stearns' claim about Chinese oil drilling in Gulf of Mexico is half true - St. Petersburg Times

First, some background. In 1977, Cuba and the United States negotiated maritime boundaries in the Gulf of Mexico and the waters south of the Florida Keys, called the Florida Straits, according to the U.S. Department of State. The boundaries, called Exclusive Economic Zones, give countries special rights of exploration and marine usage. Mexico, Cuba and the United States have EEZs in the gulf, and Cuba and the United States control the Florida Straits.

When it comes to oil, Cuba decides who drills in its EEZ and oil that may come from it — and the United States controls who can drill in its territory.

Here's why: The decades-old embargo between the United States and Cuba makes oil production much more difficult for Cuba. Under terms of the embargo, Cuba would not be able to send its oil to the United States to be refined into gasoline and other petroleum products. And the companies drilling off Cuba's coast wouldn't be able to rely on American parts and machinery for drilling.

Trying to link China and Cuba when talking U.S. oil policy is nothing new. In 2008, then-Vice President Dick Cheney told directors of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce that "oil is being drilled right now 60 miles off the coast of Florida. But we're not doing it, the Chinese are, in cooperation with the Cuban government."

Cheney, who said the information came from a column by George Will, later walked back his remarks. So did Will, as part of a correction.

Stearns' congressional office, realizing Cheney's misstatement, noted that Stearns said that "Cuba wants to let China" drill, not that China is drilling. The distinction is important. Spokesman Paul Flusche also said the information on Stearns' campaign Web site hasn't been updated since 2008, so the information could be out of date.

Stearns said: "Cuba wants to let the Chinese drill in some of the very parts of the gulf that American producers are currently forbidden to touch, as close as 45 miles off the Florida coast."

Cuba is negotiating a lease with China for offshore oil exploration, but it's not in the "very parts of the gulf that American producers are currently forbidden to touch."

Still, he's right in suggesting Cuba could end up drilling closer to U.S. shores than America currently allows in its offshore waters.

Dude....we aren't talking about that at all, only you. You want to talk about it, why not start a thread about it?

Offshore Mineral Rights | eHow.com

Territorial Waters and National Economic Zones
•Most nations stake two claims to waters beyond their shores. The first is national territorial waters, which generally extend for 12 nautical miles. The second is a nation's exclusive economic zone, which can extend up to 200 miles if geography permits. Nations claim the exclusive right to conduct or permit extraction of mineral resources inside their own exclusive economic zones. Note that in the US, federal jurisdiction is superior to state jurisdiction--waters off the coast of Oregon, for example, are considered part of Oregon up to three nautical miles but subject to superior federal jurisdiction. From 3 to 200 nautical miles out, the federal government has exclusive jurisdiction.

Read more: Offshore Mineral Rights | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_5423109_offshore-mineral-rights.html#ixzz16spGkbVr

Last edited:
When Obama talks about “Job Creation” don’t believe it.:lol:

Well unless you live in Cuba.
The Miami Herald reported:
Cuba is expected to begin drilling offshore for oil and gas as soon as next year with equipment that will go deeper than the Deepwater Horizon rig that exploded in the Gulf of Mexico, industry experts say.
The Spanish energy company, Repsol, which drilled an exploratory well in 2004 off the coast near Havana, has contracted to drill the first of several exploratory wells with a semi-submersible rig that is expected to arrive in Cuba at the end of the year, said Jorge Piñon, an energy expert and visiting research fellow at the Cuban Research Institute at Florida International University. He said the rig is expected to drill down 5,600 feet in an area about 22 miles north of Havana and 65 miles south of the Marquesas Keys.
The development comes as 20 Cuban scientists joined their American and Mexican counterparts at the Mote Marine Laboratory in Sarasota this week to finalize a long-term marine research and conservation plan for the three countries.
Luis Alberto Barreras Cañizo, who led the Cuban delegation as a representative of Cuba’s Ministry of Science, Technology and the Environment, confirmed the plans for exploration. “Cuba needs to find its oil, it’s a resource Cuba needs,” he told the Bradenton Herald in an interview.
Environmentalists suggested the prospect of rigs just 45 miles from Florida’s coastline could intensify pressure for the Obama administration to engage in talks with its Cold War antagonist to prevent ecological damage.

Last edited:

Well I must say you presumed wrong.

Gulf drilling ban lifted ? with caveat - U.S. news - Environment - msnbc.com

WASHINGTON — The Obama administration on Tuesday lifted the moratorium on deepwater exploratory oil drilling in the Gulf of Mexico — provided companies follow new safety rules.

"Operators who play by the rules and clear the higher bar can be allowed to resume" drilling, Interior Secretary Ken Salazar said at a news conference.

One of those new rules is that the CEO of a company responsible for a well must certify it has complied with all regulations. That could make the person at the top of the company liable for any future accidents.

Well I must say you presumed wrong.

Gulf drilling ban lifted ? with caveat - U.S. news - Environment - msnbc.com

WASHINGTON — The Obama administration on Tuesday lifted the moratorium on deepwater exploratory oil drilling in the Gulf of Mexico — provided companies follow new safety rules.

"Operators who play by the rules and clear the higher bar can be allowed to resume" drilling, Interior Secretary Ken Salazar said at a news conference.

One of those new rules is that the CEO of a company responsible for a well must certify it has complied with all regulations. That could make the person at the top of the company liable for any future accidents.

The federal gov. insures nothing is safer.
But it is nice to see faith in action, let us pray.

Think of all the jobs we could create cleaning up the human carcases of crashed jets. I guess we better stop flying. It's too dangerous.

Good point we should eliminate safety regulations for planes.

Clean up jobs and building new ones should create jobs.

BTW all your caviling is for not righties , Obama made them promise to play nice and gave them back their drilling.

Will they play nice or is there not enough money in playing nice?

11 families are paying the price right now for them putting money over life.

WAKE UP!

Dude....we aren't talking about that at all, only you. You want to talk about it, why not start a thread about it?

You're the one who started the tangent about countries drilling in international waters.

My point is clear. This is another non-story the rabid right is trying to use to denigrate President Obama. They are pushing the lie that this move will cost a million jobs. Now your pushing a conspiricy that the President of the United States is allowing foriegn countries to drill within our economic zone to further his worldwide wealth redistribution plan. It's simply not true. The above is an example of how foriegn companies can and most likely will be drilling near Fla. in the future.

The Washington Post reported
Obama administration officials will announce Wednesday afternoon they will not allow offshore oil drilling in the eastern Gulf of Mexico or off the Atlantic and Pacific coasts as part of the next five-year drilling plan, according to sources briefed on the plan, reversing two key policy changes President Obama announced in late March.
During that announcement–less than a month before the BP oil spill–Obama and Interior Secretary Ken Salazar said they would open up the eastern Gulf and parts of the Atlantic, including off the coast of Virginia, to offshore oil and gas exploration.
The announcement is sure to please environmentalists while angering oil and gas companies as well as some lawmakers from both parties who have pressed for continued offshore energy exploration in the wake of massive Gulf of Mexico spill.
According to multiple individuals briefed on the plan, the Obama administration will proceed with scoping for possible drilling in the central and western Gulf of Mexico and in the Arctic as part of the upcoming 2012-2017 Outer Continental Shelf program, while keeping the other areas off limits.
The administration is likely to conduct a new environmental assessment of Shell’s plan to conduct drilling in the Arctic, the sources added.:lol:

Think of all the jobs we could create cleaning up the human carcases of crashed jets. I guess we better stop flying. It's too dangerous.

BTW all your caviling is for not righties , Obama made them promise to play nice and gave them back their drilling.

Airlines are more scared of lawyers and bad press than anything the Feds can do. It's all paper work anyways.

Obama just handed Sarah Palin the keys to the oval office with this move. This will give her ammo to smoke his ass in the debates on these jobs he is destroying. This will devastate the state of Louisiana and other coastal states with a vested interest in oil and gas production. Thank god my rigs are on land and not offshore rigs. I dodged a bullet with this ruling. Stay tuned for Palins response for this and in the media. I'm sure it will be a doozie!!!

Obama just handed Sarah Palin the keys to the oval office with this move. This will give her ammo to smoke his ass in the debates on these jobs he is destroying. This will devastate the state of Louisiana and other coastal states with a vested interest in oil and gas production. Thank god my rigs are on land and not offshore rigs. I dodged a bullet with this ruling. Stay tuned for Palins response for this and in the media. I'm sure it will be a doozie!!!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEhDZN0RFjw&feature=rec-exp_fresh+div-1f-46-HM[/ame]

Who is talking about eliminating safety regulations? Besides you, I mean.

Forum List

Back