Dress code in schools.

I went to an all-boys Catholic high school where we were required to wear a dress shirt, tie and sports coat. They would cut us some slack on the sports coat when the temperature got over 80 (no A/C in the school), but otherwise, jacket & tie.

That school now requires a shirt and tie.

There are several reasons why uniforms can be justified, particularly in high school. They ensure that everyone will be appropriately dressed, they ensure that poor kids don't have to worry about having the latest Nike's (or whatever), and they ensure that the girls don't come to school looking like whores.

I'm not sure it is the job of high school to instruct students on the appropriate attire and demeanor for a job interview. It would be nice, but the schools have enough to worry about without teaching the fine points of personal decorum.

Surely, this is something that you must learn from your parents. There was more than one occasion when my son was going out for a job (or other) interview when I took him by the arm and explained the facts of life to him. Then, as he got more into his journalism career he insisted that many of the people he was interviewing would be more comfortable with him if he was dressed like (my words) a slob. His decision. But I have also seen him wearing a suit and tie for an interview, when that was appropriate.

It is unfortunate that some people lose out on opportunities for jobs and other bennies because thier dress or comportment are inappropriate, but hopefully it is a learning process and you don't make the same mistakes over and dover again.

Forum List

Back