Dozens die in ethnic, sectarian clashes in southern Algeria: state media

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
Now I can understand why a woman with whom I was having a conversation in a Middle Eastern market told me she was a Barber when I asked her where she came from. I just put it down that she came from some place in Northern Africa, not realizing that the Berbers do not consider themselves Arabs.

Thursday, 9 Jul, 2015

Dozens die in ethnic, sectarian clashes in southern Algeria: state media
Riot police dispatched to desert town of Ghardaia to quell unrest between Berbers and Arabs, army announces will “intervene”

Algerian Mozabites take part in a demonstration against the rising violence in recent days in the south of the country, in Algiers, Algeria, on July 8, 2015. (EPA/Stringer)

Algiers, Asharq Al-Awsat—At least 25 people have been killed during ethnic and sectarian clashes between Arabs and Berbers in southern Algeria, the worst of their kind since 2013, state media reported on Wednesday.

According to the Algérie Presse Service (APS), 19 people died on Tuesday and six on Wednesday during clashes between ethnic Mozabite Berbers and Arabs from the Chaamba tribe in the southern desert town of Ghardaia, which lies some 400 miles (600 kilometers) south of Algiers.

Algeria’s Echorouk TV channel said the youngest among the dead was a male of 15. Thirty people were reported wounded.

Residents shot at each other during the clashes, and houses, shops, and cars were burned and destroyed, the channel said.

According to the APS, Algerian President Abdelaziz Bouteflika held an emergency meeting on Wednesday with Prime Minister Abdelmalek Sellal, Deputy Defense Minister and Chief of Staff of the Armed Forces Field Marshall Ahmed Caid Saleh, and Minister of State for the Presidency Ahmed Ouweihi to assess the situation.

Continue reading at:

Dozens die in ethnic sectarian clashes in southern Algeria state media?

Forum List

Back