Downton Abbey, Season 5, 2015..

I've never watched Downton Abbey even though it's right in my wheelhouse of the sort of shows I like,

so one of these days I get to do a 5 season binge.

That is how I started watching it--a season 1-3 marathon. I have really become dependent on marathons, DVR, and on demand for my TV. Otherwise, I just park it on whatever channel has the best background noise.

lol, it's free now on Amazon Prime, which I didn't realize, and I have Amazon Prime. so I'm binge-ready any time I feel like jumping in.

I still prefer my tv on the biiiiig tv

I watched the entire season already including the Christmas special, where was George Clooney's cameo?

I watched the entire season already including the Christmas special, where was George Clooney's cameo?
Video George Clooney stars in Downton Abbey Christmas special - Telegraph

1 Comment

Downton Abbey did its bit for ITV's Text Santa charity Christmas appeal in a special mini episode, starring Joanna Lumley.

In the 9 minute sketch Lord Robert Crawley (Hugh Bonneville) seems to be facing financial ruin once again and begins to wonder if his family may be better off without him.

But divine intervention in the form of a very special heavenly body (Joanna Lumley) gives him a view of what life would really be like without his guiding spirit.

George Clooney also makes a guest appearance in the special as George Oceans Gravity, Marquis of Hollywood.

Did any of you see that episode of Secrets of the Manor House where they visited Highclere Castle?

I had it on in the background while I was cooking dinner a few weeks ago and they interviewed in the owners, the Earl and Countess of Carnarvon, and how having Downton Abbey filmed in their home had affected them and their fortunes.

That name, Carnarvon. Where had I heard it before? I wracked my brain but the show beat me to it. The 5th Earl of Carnarvon was the head of the archaelogical team that discovered the tomb of the Egyptian Pharaoh Tutankhamun when the territory was part of the Empire, and is believed to have died as a result of the infamous curse placed on whoever broke the tomb's seal first. Anyway, during the early '80s the Carnarvon family had a private party and one of their guests fell against what was believed to be the brick stopends on the inside of an unusually deep doorway. After he was help to his feet, what was believed to be plaster clicked open, revealing a treasure trove of ancient Egyptian artifacts.

Did any of you see that episode of Secrets of the Manor House where they visited Highclere Castle?

I had it on in the background while I was cooking dinner a few weeks ago and they interviewed in the owners, the Earl and Countess of Carnarvon, and how having Downton Abbey filmed in their home had affected them and their fortunes.

That name, Carnarvon. Where had I heard it before? I wracked my brain but the show beat me to it. The 5th Earl of Carnarvon was the head of the archaelogical team that discovered the tomb of the Egyptian Pharaoh Tutankhamun when the territory was part of the Empire, and is believed to have died as a result of the infamous curse placed on whoever broke the tomb's seal first. Anyway, during the early '80s the Carnarvon family had a private party and one of their guests fell against what was believed to be the brick stopends on the inside of an unusually deep doorway. After he was help to his feet, what was believed to be plaster clicked open, revealing a treasure trove of ancient Egyptian artifacts.
There have been several of the Highclere documentaries and they are interesting. That place is a lot of work. One of them also has a doc about the castle Althorp where Diana lived for awhile.

SECRETS OF THE MANOR HOUSE
Secrets of Althorp - The Spencers
  • Aired: 07/07/2013
  • 55:41
  • Rating: TV-G
Althorp, childhood home and final resting place of Princess Diana, is currently the home of Diana’s brother, Charles, the 9th Earl Spencer. Nineteen generations of Spencers have presided over this grand estate for more than 500 years. The Spencer dynasty has produced politicians, military heroes, dukes and duchesses and will one day furnish Britain with a king: Diana’s son, Prince William.

There is a video at the site.

Video Secrets of Althorp - The Spencers Watch Secrets of the Manor House Online PBS Video

I mostly hearts Maggie Smith. I hope in the series finale she reveals that she is really Minerva McGonagall, pulls out a magic wand, and starts zapping people in the backside.
I like Maggie, too. She's one of my favorite characters and she seems born into that role. She is the perfect Edwardian dowager.

Actually that entire cast is superbly chosen; Carson, Bates, Thomas, Anna, Daisy, Mrs. Hughes, Mrs. Patmore, Cora, Mary, Edith, and Branson. Absolutely superb cast!

I usually will say I like a production because I am too stodgy an old fart to say I love it. But I do love Downton Abbey and will be deeply saddened when it ends.

Last edited:
So much intrigue going on in tonight's episode it surely will take at least another four or five episodes to resolve it all.

There is the police detective whose attitude suggests he believes he has convincing evidence linking Anna to Green's death. There is Robert's suspicion of Cora's infidelity. There is Edith's baby crisis. There is Branson's identity crisis. There is Barrow's use of hormones to cure his homosexuality and the complication with Mosely and Ms. Barret -- who has a secret. There is Mary's situation with Mr. Gilligan, which I'm sure will end up involving the investigation of Green's death. There is Daisy's intellectual awakening. And there is Rose's impending involvement with another minority -- this time a Jew. Did I forget anything?

Downton Abbey is on the verge of erupting.

So now Downton Abbey is killing off the dog because she's named "Isis".

Unbelievable.

British sources suggest the dog was doomed because, off camera, it was an obnoxious, some might say "toxic" presence. Rumors....I stress, RUMORS...that if the dog didn't go some cast members might.

British sources suggest the dog was doomed because, off camera, it was an obnoxious, some might say "toxic" presence. Rumors....I stress, RUMORS...that if the dog didn't go some cast members might.
In what way was it obnoxious? Like pooping and farting all over?

Last night's (2/15) episode was rather uneventful considering last week's barrage of implications. Edith is coming home with little Marigold, Robert is left in the dark about his illegitimate granddaughter and his beloved dog is dying of cancer. Combined with his valid suspicion about Cora's fidelity one cannot help feeling sorry for poor Robert.

Surprisingly, very little was made of the rising intrigue surrounding the death of Anna's rapist -- but a shadowy veil is descending around Barrow and Baxter. I vaguely anticipate this issue being resolved by Barrow's intervening in a way that absolves Bates and Anna and redeems his past villainy.

A lurking question: will Baxter and Mr. Moseley get it on?

Forum List

Back