Don't like the Upgrade at all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took me about 15min to get used to this new board software. I like the new one better already.
Top ten reasons to like the new board.​
  1. Supports ordered lists​
  2. Full bb code support​
  3. Support for drafts​
  4. Supports file uploads​
  5. Supports centering/justifying text​
  6. Supports tables​
  7. Supports spoilers​
look at this cool stuff
...nice
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Centered text
Right justified​

The following text is spoiler text to read it hit the button

This bb code rocks

well this is a capitalist society. Not being snarky. I just wanted to reply to someone.

Look what it's done to Mr. Bigglesworth!

hairless-cat.jpg

The more opportunity for people to be rude to one another the better?

No, the opposite of your premise that rep was an opportunity for negativity. If that's all it was everybody would have been in negative numbers. It was both positive and negative but the positives far outweighed the negatives and offered affirmations and invitations to connect with one's adversaries that wouldn't have been there otherwise. And aren't here now.

I think I need a drink and some aspirin.
I actually had the very same thought after 3 minutes. It is too busy. It is a political message board......... Politics is complicated enough. Why mess with our forum like this. I was hoping it would not be so bad....I do not understand this change. Simple is better. The forum will lose it's soul in this.

I was a member of a board that did alerts, instead of the user cp with the auto subscribed threads there, easily followed.

The board subsequently died. No lie.

Try to tell some people this....I too have seen this happen. People have the need to keep track of their own posts ect...I cannot see this new software helping that at all

The 'click on the quote to read its fill text' feature is clearly designed to keep threads short, and discourage lengthy quotes.

The new software conforms to this twitter/short attention-span age.

No, the opposite of your premise that rep was an opportunity for negativity. If that's all it was everybody would have been in negative numbers. It was both positive and negative but the positives far outweighed the negatives and offered affirmations and invitations to connect with one's adversaries that wouldn't have been there otherwise. And aren't here now.
You have a point, and I won't deny that rep was also an opportunity for positivity. My point was that the negativity of the rep was always done in private and led to people being particularly foul in my experience. Now if people want to do that they'll have to do it in public, which I'm all for. Without rep I think we can maintain the positive aspects while hopefully minimizing the negative. That may be naive, however, but I'm happy about it regardless.

The 'click on the quote to read its fill text' feature is clearly designed to keep threads short, and discourage lengthy quotes.

The new software conforms to this twitter/short attention-span age.
Not much loss there since nobody really ever read long posted quotes anyways.

You have a point, and I won't deny that rep was also an opportunity for positivity. My point was that the negativity of the rep was always done in private and led to people being particularly foul in my experience. Now if people want to do that they'll have to do it in public, which I'm all for. Without rep I think we can maintain the positive aspects while hopefully minimizing the negative. That may be naive, however, but I'm happy about it regardless.

You're the second poster I've read in the last few minutes opine that people got nastier in neg PMs than on the open board. That's just not my experience. Or if it is I don't remember it -- what I remember is connecting with posters of other POVs, getting to know them better, and getting a chance to offer them an occasional credit where due. I see that an an opportunity that's now lost.

My prediction is rudeness will continue to prevail on USMB regardless of the rep system. People are just rude on the internet, kind of like in RL.

I actually had the very same thought after 3 minutes. It is too busy. It is a political message board......... Politics is complicated enough. Why mess with our forum like this. I was hoping it would not be so bad....I do not understand this change. Simple is better. The forum will lose it's soul in this.
I agree its too busy. I don't like clutter

You're the second poster I've read in the last few minutes opine that people got nastier in neg PMs than on the open board. That's just not my experience. Or if it is I don't remember it -- what I remember is connecting with posters of other POVs, getting to know them better, and getting a chance to offer them an occasional credit where due. I see that an an opportunity that's now lost.
You can still connect through PM's, and if somebody is nasty in PM's you can stop them from messaging you. You could never do that with rep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back