Don't Know how to Ride a Bike

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I've been riding bicycles since my mother first wrenched the training wheels off my little one-speed piece of crap in 1954.

I love to ride...on road, off road, tandem, recumbent - whatever - in the sun, rain, cold, hot. It doesn't matter.

But there is one major thing I just don't get: What are all those fucking gears for?

I first rode on a one-speed bike. It was fine, but I have to admit there were some hills I just couldn't pull. The rich kids had "English Racers," with a three-speed mechanism on the handlebars. That made sense. The low gear was low enough to pull the hills, and the third gear gave a little bit more on top end than my one-speed.

Then came the ten-speeds. Two sprockets in front, and five in the back. Lots of gears, but what for? The top gear on a ten speed was generally no higher than on a three-speed, and the bottom gear may have had a little more grunt than first on a three-speed, but so what? These were all ROAD bikes, so a super low gear was pointless.

Now i have a 24-speed "mountain" bike, and 21-speed "road" bike.

How are you supposed to ride these things? You certainly don't run up the gears like you do in a car. There is tremendous overlap among the gears on the first, second, and third sprockets. I usually just use the highest gear that I can comfortably handle. This can't be right.

How are you supposed to ride these things?

I just like to coast down the steep hills, you know how you get that tingly feeling? Especially when the air is cool. Like in the evening.

I've been riding bicycles since my mother first wrenched the training wheels off my little one-speed piece of crap in 1954.

I love to ride...on road, off road, tandem, recumbent - whatever - in the sun, rain, cold, hot. It doesn't matter.

But there is one major thing I just don't get: What are all those fucking gears for?

I first rode on a one-speed bike. It was fine, but I have to admit there were some hills I just couldn't pull. The rich kids had "English Racers," with a three-speed mechanism on the handlebars. That made sense. The low gear was low enough to pull the hills, and the third gear gave a little bit more on top end than my one-speed.

Then came the ten-speeds. Two sprockets in front, and five in the back. Lots of gears, but what for? The top gear on a ten speed was generally no higher than on a three-speed, and the bottom gear may have had a little more grunt than first on a three-speed, but so what? These were all ROAD bikes, so a super low gear was pointless.

Now i have a 24-speed "mountain" bike, and 21-speed "road" bike.

How are you supposed to ride these things? You certainly don't run up the gears like you do in a car. There is tremendous overlap among the gears on the first, second, and third sprockets. I usually just use the highest gear that I can comfortably handle. This can't be right.

How are you supposed to ride these things?

Feet on the pedals and push.

Forum List

Back