Don't Bother to Knock

Flopper

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2010
Washington
Saw this movie on TCM a few days ago. Don't Bother to Knock (1952) staring Marilyn Monroe, Richard Widmark, and Anne Bancroft. This is the first movie to star Marilyn Monroe. It was also Anne Bancroft's first film role. Zanuck put Monroe and Bancroft into this move to see if they could act. The movie had a fine cast, a good director, and script. Monroe certainly proved she could act as did Bancroft. However the future for these two actors turned out very differently.

Bancroft went on to play many fine dramatic roles which include The Miracle Worker for which she won an academy award, also in The Graduate, the Pumpkin Eater, The Sender Thread, and over 60 other films, many television appearances, and a dozens Broadway plays. Her career spanned over 60 years.

However, Monroe's career would be a lot different. She became the greatest sex symbol of all time. See would go on to star in over a dozen costly Hollywood major productions playing the sexy dumb blonde. No one expected her to do any real acting since here movies were making millions without it. Almost 10 years to the day of this movie's release, Norma Jeane at age 36 killed herself, believing she had no acting talent, no longer able play the part of Marylin Monroe, and no chance of the family she wanted so badly. If Norma Jeane had a misplaced dimple, lower cheek bones, or smaller breasts she might have had a long acting career and maybe the family she always wanted.

Last edited:
Saw this movie on TCM a few days ago. Don't Bother to Knock (1952) staring Marilyn Monroe, Richard Widmark, and Anne Bancroft. This is the first movie to star Marilyn Monroe. It was also Anne Bancroft's first film role. Zanuck put Monroe and Bancroft into this move to see if they could act. The movie had a fine cast, a good director, and script. Monroe certainly proved she could act as did Bancroft. However the future for these two actors turned out very differently.

Bancroft went on to play many fine dramatic roles which include The Miracle Worker for which she won an academy award, also in The Graduate, the Pumpkin Eater, The Sender Thread, and over 60 other films, many television appearances, and a dozens Broadway plays. Her career spanned over 60 years.

However, Monroe's career would be a lot different. She became the greatest sex symbol of all time. See would go on to star in over a dozen costly Hollywood major productions playing the sexy dumb blonde. No one expected her to do any real acting since here movies were making millions without it. Almost 10 years to the day of this movie's release, Norma Jeane at age 36 killed herself, believing she had no acting talent, no longer able play the part of Marylin Monroe, and no chance of the family she wanted so badly. If Norma Jeane had a misplaced dimple, lower cheek bones, or smaller breasts she might have had a long acting career and maybe the family she always wanted.

I saw a few of her movies, and I thought (despite the contrived voice) she was a quite fine actress + a very good singer and dancer as well. I also don't think she committed suicide. I think she was murdered under political circumstances, in something connected to the Kennedys. I think a lot of deaths reported as suicides, were actually murders.

Marilyn Monroe certainly had plenty of plastic surgery to make her Marilyn. If she really wanted a family she wouldn't have had so many abortions. Not wanting children might have been a jealousy thing. She called all her husband's Daddy.

What I've noticed is the high body count for decades of people that are Democrats or associated with them.

I saw a few of her movies, and I thought (despite the contrived voice) she was a quite fine actress + a very good singer and dancer as well. I also don't think she committed suicide. I think she was murdered under political circumstances, in something connected to the Kennedys. I think a lot of deaths reported as suicides, were actually murders.
I have never researched the conspiracy theories of Marilyn's death so I won't comment on them. Her life when she killed herself at 36 was totally a mess. She was heavy into drugs and alcohol, 3rd marriage on the rocks, her career was on the skids, she was gaining weight with her days as a glamorous sex goddess numbered, and there was no family and few friends for her to turn. Couple that with a mentally ill mother and father who both committed suicide when she was a young child followed by years in 14 foster homes where she was repeatable sexually abused, and you've got all the makings of a suicide.

I have never researched the conspiracy theories of Marilyn's death so I won't comment on them. Her life when she killed herself at 36 was totally a mess. She was heavy into drugs and alcohol, 3rd marriage on the rocks, her career was on the skids, she was gaining weight with her days as a glamorous sex goddess numbered, and there was no family and few friends for her to turn. Couple that with a mentally ill mother and father who both committed suicide when she was a young child followed by years in 14 foster homes where she was repeatable sexually abused, and you've got all the makings of a suicide.

Most stuff in life is exactly what it looks like.

Most stuff in life is exactly what it looks like.
I've done a fair amount research into the life of Norma Jeane Mortenson, aka Marilyn Monroe. From what I have read that seems factual, it almost brings me to tears. Had she been born into a normal family and raised by both parents she could have been a great actorness or at least a normal child. However, being raised in foster homes, subjected to repeated sexual abuse, dropping out of school in the 10th grade, and a hasty marriage to escape foster care set her on a road toward destruction. With the breakup of her first marriage, selling her body as a model and then to Hollywood only made her life worse. Years of being told she could not act but being forced into acting the role of Marilyn Monroe was too much for her to handle. Emotionally, she was an 8 year old child. By the time she was 30, she was so needy, that no one could be around her for long, husbands, friends, or directors. She needed constant reassurance that she could act a scene that she could appear in public, that she could talk to her husband, that she could order a meal or chose her clothes. She needed people assisting her to do just about everything.

What Marylyn really needed was to become Norma Jeanne again, and leave Hollywood. Possible after years of help she might have made it.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back