Donald Trump on Foreign Policy

Throughout his campaign, Trump acknowledged his lack of foreign policy knowledge by saying he would have the best people as advisers. What Trump needs is not just advisers but a solid world view; that is deeply held political beliefs of how nations should deal with each other, an understanding of the major cultures and how they effect the view of leaders, and most important what American's philosophy should be in dealing with other nations. A world view is not a set of issues nor slogans such as make America great. It is a basic philosophy on which foreign policy is constructed.

Unlike economic policy or energy policy, the president's foreign policy can not change with the wind. The policy has to be consist otherwise allies and foes will misinterpret America's intention which often has disastrous results. Donald Trump has always consider his unpredictability as his greatest weapon. That certainly has to change or America will find itself with a lot more enemies and fewer friends.

Lastly, Foreign Policy is created by the president, not the Secretary of State or National Security Advisor. It will be the President's Foreign Policy. Upon that policy thousands of people in the State Dept, Dept of Defense, and Security agencies will formulate regulations, rules, and procedures in dealing with allies and foes.
In other words, you think the President has to be guided by an ideology rather than take a pragmatic approach to the facts and issues he confronts.

That's exactly what Obama did, relying on a schoolboy understanding of globalist philosophy, he managed to screw up the ME, allowing ISIS to form, hundreds of thousands of people to be killed and millions made homeless, destroy the non proliferation protocol the world had relied on since the 1950's and bring American prestige and influence in the region to the lowest point it has been since before WWII and bring US Russia relations nearly to Cold War status, making peace in the ME or eastern Europe nearly impossible.

The last thing America or the world needs is another president committed to a schoolboy ideology of how the world should work. Remember Hitler, Stalin and Mao fit your description of how a leader should be perfectly, but Trump would not because he is a pragmatist, not a stars in his eyes idealist such as you want.
The assumption is that the “idealists” don’t care as much about American interests. They just want the United States to live up to its principles and get on the right side of history no matter what the strategic costs.

This, of course, is nonsense. For one thing, nations, like individuals, rarely act purely on principle or purely out of self-interest. Nor can national interests be so neatly defined. Access to oil is an interest, but so is the promotion of certain principles, including democracy. Good foreign policy is based on a good understanding of the culture and forces that drive the leadership in those cultures. It will be support by principals but also be goal orientated.

Like most modern presidents, Obama's foreign policy was pragmatic. For example, Obama initial foreign policy statement stressed 5 key points, ending the war in Iraq, rebuilding the military, securing, destroying, and stopping the spread of weapons of mass destruction, rebuild and construct the alliances and partnerships necessary to meet common threats, and help other nations rebuild societies but only the citizens of those nations can sustain it. At the heart of Obama's failures in foreign policy as well Bushs has been the lack understanding of the driving forces within the Middle East. It had nothing to do idealism or pragmatism.

The divergence of opinion between the people Trump spoke to about key foreign policy positions indicate that he does not know where he wants to go and that is a major problem because foreign policy is far more than a set campaign issues.

It is obvious you are confused.

His foreign policy speech in August very effectively established where he wanted to go. It addressed the key issues and it promoted the idea of non interventionism.. His speech outlined the areas that needed to be fixed that Obama had screwed up and it established a goal of non interventionism.

This was a much more competent and mature foreign policy declaration than anything we go out of that Crooked Hillary dumbass.

Obama's foreign policy was a disaster for this country and the rest of the world. Crooked Hillary was the worst Secretary of State with failures in just about everything she did. During Crooked Hillary campaign never once articulated a vision for America. The best we got out of the bitch was that she was going to allow open borders, bring in a million damn Muslims and continue with whatever it was that Obama had been doing, including kissing the ass of the Muslims.

I think we all know that Crooked Hillary's foreign policy would have been centered on paying back the IOUs she got from foreign countries that contributed to her money laundering foundation.

SHOW YOUR SUPPORT FOR DONALD TRUMP

The direction I will outline today will also return us to a timeless principle. My foreign policy will always put the interests of the American people, and American security, above all else. That will be the foundation of every decision that I will make.

America First will be the major and overriding theme of my administration.
...snip...
It all began with the dangerous idea that we could make Western democracies out of countries that had no experience or interest in becoming a Western Democracy.

We tore up what institutions they had and then were surprised at what we unleashed. Civil war, religious fanaticism; thousands of American lives, and many trillions of dollars, were lost as a result. The vacuum was created that ISIS would fill. Iran, too, would rush in and fill the void, much to their unjust enrichment.

Our foreign policy is a complete and total disaster.

No vision, no purpose, no direction, no strategy.

Today, I want to identify five main weaknesses in our foreign policy

First, Our Resources Are Overextended

Secondly, our allies are not paying their fair share.

Thirdly, our friends are beginning to think they can’t depend on us.

Fourth, our rivals no longer respect us.

Finally, we must develop a foreign policy based on American interests.
I read his foreign policy speech and it does say clearly where he wanted to go last August. His problem now is that he is facing reality which is why he's backing off on so many of his positions that got him elected. Working with Russia to wipe out ISIS means accepting Assad and a puppet government controlled by Moscow in the Middle East. I'm sure he's hearing about the problems that will be caused by restricting travel from Muslim countries. And the improbability of getting Mexico to pay for a wall that most of the American public doesn't support. It's one thing to make grandiose campaign promises and another to actually fulfill those promises.

Many of the people Trump has been considering for cabinet positions, particular Secretary of State have very divergent views on foreign policy from what he's expressed in his campaign. Some such as Romney agree with him on practically nothing. Trump did not understand the ramifications and problems with his foreign policy positions, so now he is looking for direction as to how he can create a workable foreign policy within the framework of his campaign rhetoric. This should be interesting to watch.

I read his foreign policy speech and it does say clearly where he wanted to go last August. His problem now is that he is facing reality which is why he's backing off on so many of his positions that got him elected. Working with Russia to wipe out ISIS means accepting Assad and a puppet government controlled by Moscow in the Middle East. I'm sure he's hearing about the problems that will be caused by restricting travel from Muslim countries. And the improbability of getting Mexico to pay for a wall that most of the American public doesn't support. It's one thing to make grandiose campaign promises and another to actually fulfill those promises.

Many of the people Trump has been considering for cabinet positions, particular Secretary of State have very divergent views on foreign policy from what he's expressed in his campaign. Some such as Romney agree with him on practically nothing. Trump did not understand the ramifications and problems with his foreign policy positions, so now he is looking for direction as to how he can create a workable foreign policy within the framework of his campaign rhetoric. This should be interesting to watch.

I think it was pretty damn clear. A lot more detail than I saw come out of the Crooked Hillary shop. She was a failure as Secretary of State and there was nothing of substance in any of her speeches that indicated she had learned anything from her mistakes. She would have simply continued with the same weak and unfocused crap we saw from the Kenyan.

I think Trump understands a lot more than any of you Moon Bats are willing to give him credit for.

His first job will be to reverse the convoluted and weak foreign policy of Hussein Obama and he is bringing in a strong team to do that.

Obama has made such a mess that Trump will have to essentially start all over again and the path won't be easy.

Moon Bats will always be critical of Trump. No matter what he does the Libtards will find fault with it. However, that is OK. They lost. Their opinions and their ignorant hate rantings are irrelevant.

Four years from now the American people will decide if has done a good job or not. I suspect most of the same idiots that voted for Cooked Hillary will think he did a terrible job and those that voted for him will think he did great.

Throughout his campaign, Trump acknowledged his lack of foreign policy knowledge by saying he would have the best people as advisers. What Trump needs is not just advisers but a solid world view; that is deeply held political beliefs of how nations should deal with each other, an understanding of the major cultures and how they effect the view of leaders, and most important what American's philosophy should be in dealing with other nations. A world view is not a set of issues nor slogans such as make America great. It is a basic philosophy on which foreign policy is constructed.

Unlike economic policy or energy policy, the president's foreign policy can not change with the wind. The policy has to be consist otherwise allies and foes will misinterpret America's intention which often has disastrous results. Donald Trump has always consider his unpredictability as his greatest weapon. That certainly has to change or America will find itself with a lot more enemies and fewer friends.

Lastly, Foreign Policy is created by the president, not the Secretary of State or National Security Advisor. It will be the President's Foreign Policy. Upon that policy thousands of people in the State Dept, Dept of Defense, and Security agencies will formulate regulations, rules, and procedures in dealing with allies and foes.
In other words, you think the President has to be guided by an ideology rather than take a pragmatic approach to the facts and issues he confronts.

That's exactly what Obama did, relying on a schoolboy understanding of globalist philosophy, he managed to screw up the ME, allowing ISIS to form, hundreds of thousands of people to be killed and millions made homeless, destroy the non proliferation protocol the world had relied on since the 1950's and bring American prestige and influence in the region to the lowest point it has been since before WWII and bring US Russia relations nearly to Cold War status, making peace in the ME or eastern Europe nearly impossible.

The last thing America or the world needs is another president committed to a schoolboy ideology of how the world should work. Remember Hitler, Stalin and Mao fit your description of how a leader should be perfectly, but Trump would not because he is a pragmatist, not a stars in his eyes idealist such as you want.
The assumption is that the “idealists” don’t care as much about American interests. They just want the United States to live up to its principles and get on the right side of history no matter what the strategic costs.

This, of course, is nonsense. For one thing, nations, like individuals, rarely act purely on principle or purely out of self-interest. Nor can national interests be so neatly defined. Access to oil is an interest, but so is the promotion of certain principles, including democracy. Good foreign policy is based on a good understanding of the culture and forces that drive the leadership in those cultures. It will be support by principals but also be goal orientated.

Like most modern presidents, Obama's foreign policy was pragmatic. For example, Obama initial foreign policy statement stressed 5 key points, ending the war in Iraq, rebuilding the military, securing, destroying, and stopping the spread of weapons of mass destruction, rebuild and construct the alliances and partnerships necessary to meet common threats, and help other nations rebuild societies but only the citizens of those nations can sustain it. At the heart of Obama's failures in foreign policy as well Bushs has been the lack understanding of the driving forces within the Middle East. It had nothing to do idealism or pragmatism.

The divergence of opinion between the people Trump spoke to about key foreign policy positions indicate that he does not know where he wants to go and that is a major problem because foreign policy is far more than a set campaign issues.

It is obvious you are confused.

His foreign policy speech in August very effectively established where he wanted to go. It addressed the key issues and it promoted the idea of non interventionism.. His speech outlined the areas that needed to be fixed that Obama had screwed up and it established a goal of non interventionism.

This was a much more competent and mature foreign policy declaration than anything we go out of that Crooked Hillary dumbass.

Obama's foreign policy was a disaster for this country and the rest of the world. Crooked Hillary was the worst Secretary of State with failures in just about everything she did. During Crooked Hillary campaign never once articulated a vision for America. The best we got out of the bitch was that she was going to allow open borders, bring in a million damn Muslims and continue with whatever it was that Obama had been doing, including kissing the ass of the Muslims.

I think we all know that Crooked Hillary's foreign policy would have been centered on paying back the IOUs she got from foreign countries that contributed to her money laundering foundation.

SHOW YOUR SUPPORT FOR DONALD TRUMP

The direction I will outline today will also return us to a timeless principle. My foreign policy will always put the interests of the American people, and American security, above all else. That will be the foundation of every decision that I will make.

America First will be the major and overriding theme of my administration.
...snip...
It all began with the dangerous idea that we could make Western democracies out of countries that had no experience or interest in becoming a Western Democracy.

We tore up what institutions they had and then were surprised at what we unleashed. Civil war, religious fanaticism; thousands of American lives, and many trillions of dollars, were lost as a result. The vacuum was created that ISIS would fill. Iran, too, would rush in and fill the void, much to their unjust enrichment.

Our foreign policy is a complete and total disaster.

No vision, no purpose, no direction, no strategy.

Today, I want to identify five main weaknesses in our foreign policy

First, Our Resources Are Overextended

Secondly, our allies are not paying their fair share.

Thirdly, our friends are beginning to think they can’t depend on us.

Fourth, our rivals no longer respect us.

Finally, we must develop a foreign policy based on American interests.

Clearly, you've still got your head too far up Hillary's ass. First, Trump is not backing off any of his major positions. Second, despite Obama's declarations that Assad must go, both Obama and Clinton have clearly conceded that it is up to Russia.

Of course, Trump will deal with Putin because he understands what Obama and Clinton don't seem to be able to grasp, that without mending relations with Russia, no progress can be made in Syria or eastern Europe. Putin's interest is in keeping his bases in Syria and Assad is only important to him to that end. What Obama should have done and what Trump should do is promise to support Russia keeping its long term leases on those bases if Russia drops its support for Assad. It's a win win. The war will never end as long as Assad remains in office, and Russia can't go on forever spilling its blood and spending its treasure. If Putin receives assurances he can trust from the US that he will be able to keep his military bases after Assad leaves, then it would be in the interests of both the US and Russia to end this war and stabilize Syria by getting rid of ISIS. For good reason, Putin doesn't trust Obama or Clinton, but Trump is approaching Russia without any of the baggage of past policies and appears to understand that just as the US demands everyone respect our legitimate security concerns, no progress can be made until the US respects Russia's legitimate security concerns, something Obama and Clinton have refused to do.

Trump promised a ban on Muslim immigration until an improved vetting process could be put in place, and that will certainly take place; there will be no ramifications beyond some loose talk from people like you.

Similarly, the security barrier on the Mexican border will go up, and if Trump wants to force Mexico to pay for it, it will be no problem, but I expect he will be willing to accept greater cooperation from Mexico on trade and border security instead.

If you are ever going to have something useful to post, you will have to stop trying to prove you were right to oppose Trump and start paying attention to what is actually going on.

I think it was pretty damn clear. A lot more detail than I saw come out of the Crooked Hillary shop. She was a failure as Secretary of State and there was nothing of substance in any of her speeches that indicated she had learned anything from her mistakes. She would have simply continued with the same weak and unfocused crap we saw from the Kenyan.

I think Trump understands a lot more than any of you Moon Bats are willing to give him credit for.

His first job will be to reverse the convoluted and weak foreign policy of Hussein Obama and he is bringing in a strong team to do that.

Obama has made such a mess that Trump will have to essentially start all over again and the path won't be easy.

Moon Bats will always be critical of Trump. No matter what he does the Libtards will find fault with it. However, that is OK. They lost. Their opinions and their ignorant hate rantings are irrelevant.

Four years from now the American people will decide if has done a good job or not. I suspect most of the same idiots that voted for Cooked Hillary will think he did a terrible job and those that voted for him will think he did great.
Of course his foreign policy stand was clear and very simplistic. He wanted to get elected. Anyone that knows anything about international politics and foreign policy would not make those statements. There is nothing simply or clear about foreign relations. Like strong medicines there are always side effects that can make the cure worst than the disease but unlike medicine, those side effects are often unpredictable.

It seems like every president now, Obama, George Bush, and Bill Clinton make foreign policy promises they can't keep because they lack the experience and knowledge. Apparently Trump looking at previous presidents decided he would tell his supporters whatever they wanted to hear, knowing quite well he would not be able to delivery.

Of course his foreign policy stand was clear and very simplistic. He wanted to get elected. Anyone that knows anything about international politics and foreign policy would not make those statements. There is nothing simply or clear about foreign relations. Like strong medicines there are always side effects that can make the cure worst than the disease but unlike medicine, those side effects are often unpredictable.

It seems like every president now, Obama, George Bush, and Bill Clinton make foreign policy promises they can't keep because they lack the experience and knowledge. Apparently Trump looking at previous presidents decided he would tell his supporters whatever they wanted to hear, knowing quite well he would not be able to delivery.
In other words, you have no idea what you are talking about but you are determined to try to justify your irrational hostility toward Trump.

[

Of course politicians lie, exaggerate and tell the people what they want to hear. Remember the Kenyan's "hope and change"? Didn't work out too well, did it?

I don't trust any politician, even the Conservatives ones more in line with my ideology. For instance, I believed GW Bush when he presented a very Conservative philosophy in 2000. However, he governed as a Liberal in most regards. I can't understand why the Moon Bats are so critical of him. He gave them almost everything they would have got from that idiot Gore or that clown Kerry.

Trump has the potential to be a little different. Being rich he does not have ties to the typical greedy special interest groups that most politicians are indebted to. He also is not a career politician so he is not being controlled by others.

I didn't vote for Trump because I perceive him to be big government Liberal. I don't think he will do the necessary things to dismantle this big bloated out of control corrupt oppressive Federal government. However, I am sure he will do a much better job than the Kenyan and it is a no brainer that will do better than Crooked Hillary.

We will see. I suspect he will stimulate the economy and put Americans back to work again. After Obama's failure and dismal economy that will probably be the best we can hope for.

[

Of course politicians lie, exaggerate and tell the people what they want to hear. Remember the Kenyan's "hope and change"? Didn't work out too well, did it?

I don't trust any politician, even the Conservatives ones more in line with my ideology. For instance, I believed GW Bush when he presented a very Conservative philosophy in 2000. However, he governed as a Liberal in most regards. I can't understand why the Moon Bats are so critical of him. He gave them almost everything they would have got from that idiot Gore or that clown Kerry.

Trump has the potential to be a little different. Being rich he does not have ties to the typical greedy special interest groups that most politicians are indebted to. He also is not a career politician so he is not being controlled by others.

I didn't vote for Trump because I perceive him to be big government Liberal. I don't think he will do the necessary things to dismantle this big bloated out of control corrupt oppressive Federal government. However, I am sure he will do a much better job than the Kenyan and it is a no brainer that will do better than Crooked Hillary.

We will see. I suspect he will stimulate the economy and put Americans back to work again. After Obama's failure and dismal economy that will probably be the best we can hope for.
Democrats spoke out against Bush for the same reason Republicans did. He led the country into a needless war that cost the country thousands of US lives, hundreds of thousands of Iraqis, and trillions of dollars and for what? I think Trump might well do the same thing. Like Bush, Trump doesn't understand foreign relations or international politics. Bush surrounded himself with knowledgeable people and gave them huge latitudes in making decisions. I think as Trump comes to the realization that he knows nothing about foreign policy he will do the same thing. He will delegate foreign policy and try to handle something he does understand, domestic policies just as Bush tried to do.

Obama was saved from the mistakes Bush made by having a very conservative approach to foreign policy, in essence it was bring the troops home, don't commit the US to a new war, and mend foreign relations. His accomplishments were meager but he did keep the nation out of new wars.

Contrary to most opinion, I believe most politicians in Washington are neither idiots nor crooks. They come to Washington with good intentions but face almost insurmountable obstacles in accomplishing their goals. Only a few of the most political astute have what it takes to accomplish anything in this polarized environment.

Probably due to the news media exaggerating ever missteps of politicians, the country has become so discussed with Washington politics, they decided to put someone in charge that knows nothing about the system with no record in government to see if he can do better. That of course makes no sense at all unless you believe the lack of knowledge and experience in governing is an asset.

Last edited:
[
Democrats spoke out against Bush for the same reason Republicans did. He led the country into a needless war that cost the country thousands of US lives, hundreds of thousands of Iraqis, and trillions of dollars and for what? I think Trump might well do the same thing. Like Bush, Trump doesn't understand foreign relations or international politics. Bush surrounded himself with knowledgeable people and gave them huge latitudes in making decisions. I think as Trump comes to the realization that he knows nothing about foreign policy he will do the same thing. He will delegate foreign policy and try to handle something he does understand, domestic policies just as Bush tried to do.

Obama was saved from the mistakes Bush made by having a very conservative approach to foreign policy, in essence it was bring the troops home, don't commit the US to a new war, and mend foreign relations. His accomplishments were meager but he did keep the nation out of new wars.

Contrary to most opinion, I believe most politicians in Washington are neither idiots nor crooks. They come to Washington with good intentions but face almost insurmountable obstacles in accomplishing their goals. Only a few of the most political astute have what it takes to accomplish anything in this polarized environment.

Probably due to the news media exaggerating ever missteps of politicians, the country has become so discussed with Washington politics, they decided to put someone in charge that knows nothing about the system with no record in government to see if he can do better. That of course makes no sense at all unless you believe the lack of knowledge and experience in governing is an asset.

That is the biggest bunch of bullshit I have read in a long time.

First of all that stupid bitch you voted for supported the war in Iraq so if you think the war was wrong you should not have voted for Crooked Hillary.

Some naive people may come to DC with good intentions but they are quickly made to compromise their values or else they will get no support from the special interest groups.

Trump is not a politician. He is not owned by special interest groups which makes him the best chance this country has to "drain the swamp".

He will be a much better and smarter President than that stupid affirmative action asshole Obama who came to office with no qualifications and no brains and a hair up his ass. He will be better than Crooked Hillary's who has a record of dishonesty and failure and whose only motivation was to pay back the contributors to her money laundering foundation.

I didn't vote for Trump but I think he will be heads and shoulders about that nitwit Obama and that that asshole Crooked Hillary.

We could do better than Trump but that person is sure as hell not a dumbass Democrat or a RINO.

[

That is the biggest bunch of bullshit I have read in a long time.

First of all that stupid bitch you voted for supported the war in Iraq so if you think the war was wrong you should not have voted for Crooked Hillary.

Some naive people may come to DC with good intentions but they are quickly made to compromise their values or else they will get no support from the special interest groups.

Trump is not a politician. He is not owned by special interest groups which makes him the best chance this country has to "drain the swamp".

He will be a much better and smarter President than that stupid affirmative action asshole Obama who came to office with no qualifications and no brains and a hair up his ass. He will be better than Crooked Hillary's who has a record of dishonesty and failure and whose only motivation was to pay back the contributors to her money laundering foundation.

I didn't vote for Trump but I think he will be heads and shoulders about that nitwit Obama and that that asshole Crooked Hillary.

We could do better than Trump but that person is sure as hell not a dumbass Democrat or a RINO.
Well, as you say we will have to see, whether a neophyte with no experience, no knowledge in governing is better at handling foreign and domestic affairs than the people that have devoted their lives to it. Who knows, maybe plumbers would be the best electricians and accountants the best doctors.

I predict Trump and the GOP will start a war with Iran before 2020. Another middle east war begun by the GOP and lost by the GOP.

I predict Trump and the GOP will start a war with Iran before 2020. Another middle east war begun by the GOP and lost by the GOP.
If Trump does as he says and walks out on the Nuclear Iran agreement, in hopes of negotiating a better deal, that's not going to be easy. Iranian leaders have said that they will “not accept any changes under any conditions.” Moreover, even if the U.S. did reopen talks, it would be doing so without any of the leverage it had before: namely the multilateral sanctions that brought Iran to the table in the first place. China and Russia are very unlikely to agree to re-impose sanctions on Iran, and EU governments reaffirmed their commitment to continue with the deal.

So what happens next? If Trump says the US is backing out, centrifuges will start spinning, Iran will go into a war footing and the Mid East becomes a new powder keg waiting to blow, thanks to Trump's lack of understanding of the Mid East. However, the more likely outcome is Trump will once back down on another campaign promise. It will probably be along the lines of his back down on global warming; he will approach the issue with an open mind, translated I got your vote, so fuck you.

Forum List

Back