Don’t force your religion on me.

When a lefty says anything about having the *right* not to have religion *forced* upon them, what they mean is you don't have the *right* to freedom of speech or religion because they don't approve.

Their *rights* always include the violation of the rights of another.

Not sure if you'd consider me a 'lefty' or not, but when I say it I mean that the government doesn't have any business - ie is constitutionally prohibited from - passing laws or implementing policy that either promotes or discourages religious beliefs.

It's fine, for example, if you want to take the day off on Sunday for worship, but don't make laws telling the rest of us we must do likewise.

who's trying to?

None that I know of. I think most states have repealed "blue laws". That was an obvious example of what I'm talking about when I say I we have the right not to have religion forced on us. There are plenty of less obvious examples - situations where taxpayer money is spent benefiting or promoting religion, or where tax policy benefits religious institutions.

Not sure if you'd consider me a 'lefty' or not, but when I say it I mean that the government doesn't have any business - ie is constitutionally prohibited from - passing laws or implementing policy that either promotes or discourages religious beliefs.

It's fine, for example, if you want to take the day off on Sunday for worship, but don't make laws telling the rest of us we must do likewise.

who's trying to?

None that I know of. I think most states have repealed "blue laws". That was an obvious example of what I'm talking about when I say I we have the right not to have religion forced on us. There are plenty of less obvious examples - situations where taxpayer money is spent benefiting or promoting religion, or where tax policy benefits religious institutions.

Tax policies are not forcing people to observe a particular religion, nor are the establishing a religion as the state religion.

Neither did blue laws. Certain activities being restricted based on religion is not the same as punishing people for failing to attend a particular church. It doesn't establish a state religion.

At any rate, there aren't many left on the books anymore. There are still dry counties and states that don't allow the sale of liquor on certain days...but again, that doesn't establish a particular religion.

who's trying to?

Tax policies are not forcing people to observe a particular religion, nor are the establishing a religion as the state religion.

Taxes are coercive in nature. So giving tax breaks to religious institutions is, in my view, a violation of the first amendment. As the Court has clarified, there is no substantive difference between a tax incentive that modifies behavior, and a penalty.

Neither did blue laws. Certain activities being restricted based on religion is not the same as punishing people for failing to attend a particular church. It doesn't establish a state religion.

They are laws 'respecting an establishment of religion' - which is why most of them were declared unconstitutional.

I'm not aware that anyone is promoting the reinstitution of blue laws at this point.

The tax thing, meh. I disagree.

When a lefty says anything about having the *right* not to have religion *forced* upon them, what they mean is you don't have the *right* to freedom of speech or religion because they don't approve.

Their *rights* always include the violation of the rights of another.

Just don't do it on the gov'ts/tax-payer's dime :)

Nobody's doing it on the taxpayer's dime. Unless you think the government is taxing you to fund churches.

Horrors.

Government financed facilities have been the site of PP proselytizing as well.

Big whoop. But anything to shut those fuckers up eh?

who's trying to?

At any rate, there aren't many left on the books anymore. There are still dry counties and states that don't allow the sale of liquor on certain days...but again, that doesn't establish a particular religion.

nor were blue laws anything like always motivated by religion. it's sort of funny, actually. leftists love to tell us how religion isn't necessary for morality, and yet every time they see an example of someone's behavior being motivated by their moral standards, they automatically attribute it to 'religion'.

consistency - the arch-nemesis of liberals everywhere.

Why do you people always play the part of the persecuted? You got the Repubs ACTING like they're christians (to get your votes :) ) because every time you turn @ they're getting busted for the most unchristian-like behaviour. :lol:

First, it's not all religious. The fetus is a living organism made of human DNA. Second, abortion advocates have been unwilling to establish a gestational age when it is no longer acceptable. Some even to the point of supporting partial birth abortion. Third it's not that radical a large and growing % of Americans are pro life

First, it's not all religious. The fetus is a living organism made of human DNA. Second, abortion advocates have been unwilling to establish a gestational age when it is no longer acceptable. Some even to the point of supporting partial birth abortion. Third it's not that radical a large and growing % of Americans are pro life

Your 1st post & its on abortion. You got some stones. Yes you do. That or...

Nobody's doing it on the taxpayer's dime. Unless you think the government is taxing you to fund churches.

gov't-financed facilities have been sites of your people's proselytizing. NEWSFLASH!!! Not all tax-payers are christians :eusa_angel: Let us not forget Matthew 6:6 :eusa_shhh:
Matthew 6:6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

it was funny enough when you halfwits decided that 'no establishing a government religion' meant that government and religious organizations aren't allowed to interact. but now taxpayer-financed facilities are only available for use by groups that every taxpayer agrees with?

You are quite the emotional basket case.

Try knitting

How many times have YOU been pregnant?

Knitting? If you assholes get your way, that's how abortions will be done and make no mistake you stupid asshole, women can and do get desperate enough to do exactly that.

WHY do MEN believe they have the right to weigh in on THIS issue?

And, why do they believe they can make fun of women or talk down to women about this issue?

Until YOU have to figure out how you're going to take care of a child after the father disappears, you really have no right to criticize ANY woman for her decision to abort.

Do you ever stop to think about what you are posting ?

Rights are rights.

Read Roe and find out how the asshole Harry Blackmunn determined he could make this ruling. And then realize that the criteria you called out...if applied to later science is wrong.

This isn't about men, it's about the person in the woman.

It's distressing to know people like you can breed.

who's trying to?

Blue laws were not the result of religion, they were the result of powerful industry leaders wanting to prevent their competition from doing business on the day they decided to take off.

You are quite the emotional basket case.

Try knitting

How many times have YOU been pregnant?

Knitting? If you assholes get your way, that's how abortions will be done and make no mistake you stupid asshole, women can and do get desperate enough to do exactly that.

WHY do MEN believe they have the right to weigh in on THIS issue?

And, why do they believe they can make fun of women or talk down to women about this issue?

Until YOU have to figure out how you're going to take care of a child after the father disappears, you really have no right to criticize ANY woman for her decision to abort.

Do you ever stop to think about what you are posting ?

Rights are rights.

Read Roe and find out how the asshole Harry Blackmunn determined he could make this ruling. And then realize that the criteria you called out...if applied to later science is wrong.

This isn't about men, it's about the person in the woman.

It's distressing to know people like you can breed.

Luddly can't read, let alone comprehend basic concepts like "rights". It's way, way above his pay grade.

Forum List

Back