Dolphins may be calling each other by name

BlueGin

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2004
Dolphins may be calling each other by name

(CNN) -- Imagine two dolphins swimming in the Gulf of Mexico. You hear a series of clicks, whistles and whines coming from each, much like a conversation in dolphin language.

It might go something like this:

"Hey Flipper, weren't those sardines last night the best?"

"Not bad, Fluke. But I'm more of a squid eater."

We can't be sure they were discussing dinner, but scientists do think dolphins call each other by name.

It seems one dolphin can call another specifically by mimicking the distinct whistle of that other dolphin.

"These whistles actually turned out to be names. They're abstract names, which is unheard of in the animal kingdom beyond people," said Randall Wells, one of the authors of a new study on dolphin behavior, told CNN affiliate WFLA-TV in Tampa, Florida.

Wells, of the Sarasota Dolphin Research Program, worked with scientists from the University of St. Andrews in Scotland, the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute in Massachusetts, the Chicago Zoological Society and the Walt Disney World Resort, on the study of what they call "vocal copying" in dolphins. It was published last month in the Proceedings of the Royal Society B.

"Each dolphin produces its own unique signature whistle that describes its individual identity," the researchers said in a University of St. Andrews press release. "The new study suggests that in fact dolphins are mimicking those they are close to and want to see again."

Dolphins may be calling each other by name - CNN.com

Animals communicate, but do not have language as we know it.

That's amazing. I believe it as they are so intelligent. There are people working to decipher how they communicate. Imagine being able to talk to dolphins one day. Maybe we could ride them one day ala King Trident.

Being able to communicate with dolphins would be very cool. They have trained them to perform very intricate tasks via the military...so, we know they can reason things out pretty well. I would not be surprised to find out Dolphins communitcate with each other via sound. :)

Just because we cannot understand an animals language does not mean each species does not have one.

Not language we use, no. But they DO have language. We just have not figured it out yet.

Pack animals of all sort must communicate on some level.

I have no doubt bottle-nosed dolphins have advanced communications abilities.

Their ability to remember and repeat auditory signals is actually greater than ours.

"Language" in it's broadest sense, are protocols between living beings that are used to communicate.

In it's strictest sense, it is simply a series of words strung together in a meaning way.

So it really all depends on how you define "language".

Personally, I think most animals are using a "language". And deciphering them is a very interesting pursuit.

Heck..we may even learn something.

Many of the more powerful styles of martial arts are based on mimicing the movements of animals.

Many of the more powerful styles of martial arts are based on mimicing the movements of animals.

:lol:

Liu Ho Pa Fa
Completion of the 12 Animal forms and permission from the instructor are prerequisites for Level II and Level III. These classes contains both solo and partner work.

The twelve animals are the foundation practice of Liu Ho Pa Fa (sixharmonies and eight methods), an internal martial art developed by Chen Hay-I, a noted mathematician and Taoist who lived in Shansi province in the 10th century during the Sung dynasty.

Liu Ho Pa Fa is still relatively unknown as it has only recently begun to be taught publicly. Because of this fact, the style’s lineage and teachings have retained a high level of integrity and authenticity. Wai-lun Choi is the current lineage holder of the style from whom we at the studio received our training.Choi succeeded Chan Yik-Yan, the previous grandmaster.

The 12 Animals practice consists of twelve short forms based on the fighting techniques, instincts, and spirit of various animals. The forms train the body to move harmoniously externally and internally. External harmony refers to the coordination of hands and feet, elbows and knees, shoulders and hips. Internal harmony refers to the coordination of mind and reflexes, qi and power. In addition to the solo practice, each animal contains a wealth of applications including strikes, locks, and throws based on the movement of each animal

http://tctaichi.org/other-arts/martial-arts

Forum List

Back