Does Trump Believe in Free Speech or Only His Speech?

Townhalls are not a good example.
Has she allowed herself to be interviewed by Fox? I don't know of Trump refusing any media other than Meghan Kelly. Do you? And he received a backlash for that and attended the next debate she was involved with.
Sort of like Hillary that refuses to go on Fox?
First, I don't care for Trump at all.
but...
Would you walk into a restaurant that has diners and start yelling how horrific their food is? What do you expect to happen?
Would you walk into a book reading and start yelling how awful the book is? What do you think would happen?
Would you walk into a theater and start yelling how awful the movie is? What do you think would happen?
Donald Trump is no 'victim,' having his right to free speech stolen by Bad Liberals. He is just as busy stopping the free speech of his opponents, and he did it first. He routinely bans newscasters that ask hard questions or print opinions he does not like from his pretend "news conferences." He is refusing to deal with a Fox News debate for a second time, and revving up the slander war against Meghyn Kelly on Twitter. He also wants to expand libel laws so he can sue organizations like the New York Times that "lie" about him (I'm pretty sure NY Times verifies its sources, just so you know). What will political coverage be like when you elect Donald as President? Russia, Cuba – they can tell us all about how to make it work.

Is that REALLY what you Trumpeters want? A country that prohibits unfavorable news or editorials about our President? Shrug and say you don't care at your own peril.

POLITICO reporter Ben Schreckinger was denied entry to Donald Trump's press conference on Tuesday night, despite having previously been granted credentials by the campaign.

The move followed a threat last week from Trump officials to exclude POLITICO reporters from campaign events…

Schreckinger, whose latest story on Trump's campaign was a report on concerns about campaign manager Corey Lewandowski's temperament and behavior, never received an explanation as to why his credentials have been denied. Neither Lewandowski nor Trump spokeswoman Hope Hicks responded to requests for comment….

POLITICO is far from alone among media organizations being denied entry to Trump events. The Des Moines Register, Univision, Fusion, The Huffington Post, National Review, Mother Jonesand BuzzFeed have all been denied credentials to Trump's events, often after publishing critical stories about the campaign. In January, New York Times reporter Trip Gabriel was ejected from an event in Iowa after writing about Trump's weak ground game in the state, which he eventually lost to Ted Cruz.

POLITICO reporter denied access to Trump event
I am concerned about Trump denying access to Himself by press/media that disagree with him. His wish to stop press/media from speaking or writing against him. This is not about disrupting the rallies. I disagree with those who would disrupt the rally itself or anyone who would do the things you mentioned. This is not about the rallies. Read the post again.
She was just on Fox for a Town Hall with Bernie Sanders on March 7. Less than two weeks ago.
Why isn't a Town Hall a good example? The moderator asked questions of his own before taking questions from the audience and all questions were screened/selected by Fox.
Trump is refusing the following media (so far---I'm sure it will grow): POLITICO, The Des Moines Register, Univision, Fusion, The Huffington Post, National Review, Mother Jones, BuzzFeed, and New York Times. He has also re-engaged in the M. Kelly slam on Twitter, for some reason.

Donald Trump is no 'victim,' having his right to free speech stolen by Bad Liberals. He is just as busy stopping the free speech of his opponents, and he did it first. He routinely bans newscasters that ask hard questions or print opinions he does not like from his pretend "news conferences." He is refusing to deal with a Fox News debate for a second time, and revving up the slander war against Meghyn Kelly on Twitter. He also wants to expand libel laws so he can sue organizations like the New York Times that "lie" about him (I'm pretty sure NY Times verifies its sources, just so you know). What will political coverage be like when you elect Donald as President? Russia, Cuba – they can tell us all about how to make it work.

Is that REALLY what you Trumpeters want? A country that prohibits unfavorable news or editorials about our President? Shrug and say you don't care at your own peril.

POLITICO reporter Ben Schreckinger was denied entry to Donald Trump's press conference on Tuesday night, despite having previously been granted credentials by the campaign.

The move followed a threat last week from Trump officials to exclude POLITICO reporters from campaign events…

Schreckinger, whose latest story on Trump's campaign was a report on concerns about campaign manager Corey Lewandowski's temperament and behavior, never received an explanation as to why his credentials have been denied. Neither Lewandowski nor Trump spokeswoman Hope Hicks responded to requests for comment….

POLITICO is far from alone among media organizations being denied entry to Trump events. The Des Moines Register, Univision, Fusion, The Huffington Post, National Review, Mother Jonesand BuzzFeed have all been denied credentials to Trump's events, often after publishing critical stories about the campaign. In January, New York Times reporter Trip Gabriel was ejected from an event in Iowa after writing about Trump's weak ground game in the state, which he eventually lost to Ted Cruz.

Another leftwing dumbass who doesn't have a clue what "free speech" means.
Free speech means "Only That Speech That Agrees with ME" per Trump. What does it mean to you? I know what I think it means.

Hmmm, that isn't Trump's position on free speech. At his rallies, the audience has no freedom of speech. Outside his rallies, you're free to say whatever you want. Free speech doesn't require Trump to attend debates or answer questions from reporters. In fact, such a requirement would be the exact opposite of free speech. You need to get that through your head before you're capable of saying anything intelligent on the issue.
I'm just concerned about freedom of speech for the press, which Trump doesn't seem to respect.

Trump And Carson Mock Gun-Free Zones At Their Gun-Free Rallies
ATLANTA (AP) — Republican presidential contender Ben Carson has a simple solution for preventing a Paris-style attack at one of his campaign rallies: "If a bunch of terrorists came in here and there were people in here with guns, it would be very unlikely that they would be able to carry about the kind of massacre they did in Paris."

But there's a snag in that approach — the demands of the Secret Service agents now protecting him, at his request (and at taxpayer expense). They don't allow any guns except those carried by authorized personnel.

No, Pismoe, it's not about the place.

Carson was not speaking literally but figuratively.
I don't think he was speaking figuratively at all. What makes you think that?

Trump rallies aren't gun free zones.
Losing Our Minds Over Trump And Guns
It’s also typically illegal to carry firearms in the venues where these rallies are held as a matter of venue policy, and the Secret Service tends to ban firearms near presidential candidates for obvious reasons. You cannot legally carry a gun to a rally for any candidate, and if the Secret Service catches you attempting to, Very Bad Things will happen to you, because the Secret Service tends to view people hiding weapons near Presidential candidates to be potential assassins, for obvious reasons.

Carrying a gun to a Presidential rally of any kind is monumentally stupid, almost certainly illegal in every conceivable venue, and a great way to find yourself staring down the barrel of a Secret Service agent’s gun.

I haven't been to any of his rallies, and while I'm sure if you want to carry and join the supporters and protestors facing off outside in the parking lot, you can. But I can't find anywhere that says inside Trump's rallies aren't gun free zones. Where does that come from?

The security detail is armed. Those events aren't gun free zones.
Clever.

I am concerned about Trump denying access to Himself by press/media that disagree with him. His wish to stop press/media from speaking or writing against him. This is not about disrupting the rallies. I disagree with those who would disrupt the rally itself or anyone who would do the things you mentioned. This is not about the rallies. Read the post again.

If the people's money were paying for the rallies it would concern me also, but they aren't, so that gives him the right to deny anyone who he thinks wants to cause trouble.
Yes. I agree he can keep people out of the rallies. I wasn't talking about the rallies. I was talking about his 'news conferences' where he takes questions from the press about the issues of the day. I was talking about his reaction to unfavorable news stories or op eds in major newspapers or by television news commentators--to sue them in order to shut them down. I was talking about his continuing refusal to 'face the music' for his off the cuff statements. A man who will ban newscasters from his 'news conferences' (not his rallies, mind) because they don't agree with him is exercising a curtailment of free speech. IMO.

He has the right to deny the very same newscasters who constantly lie about him and are the very cause of the violent misinformed protesters.
Give me an example of an actual lie broadcast by any of the banned news organizations. Please.

One example of many;
Trump is not a racist.
Never has been and never will be, yet they all have said that he is.
Any possibility you could give me an example that isn't opinion? An honest to God lie?

If the people's money were paying for the rallies it would concern me also, but they aren't, so that gives him the right to deny anyone who he thinks wants to cause trouble.
Yes. I agree he can keep people out of the rallies. I wasn't talking about the rallies. I was talking about his 'news conferences' where he takes questions from the press about the issues of the day. I was talking about his reaction to unfavorable news stories or op eds in major newspapers or by television news commentators--to sue them in order to shut them down. I was talking about his continuing refusal to 'face the music' for his off the cuff statements. A man who will ban newscasters from his 'news conferences' (not his rallies, mind) because they don't agree with him is exercising a curtailment of free speech. IMO.

He has the right to deny the very same newscasters who constantly lie about him and are the very cause of the violent misinformed protesters.
Give me an example of an actual lie broadcast by any of the banned news organizations. Please.

One example of many;
Trump is not a racist.
Any possibility you could give me an example that isn't opinion? An honest to God lie?

That is not an opinion, it is a fact.
Accusing him of racism, is an opinion, but not based on true facts.

Trump "banned" reporters from HIS PRIVATE PROPERTY!? OH GAWD!
The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior. When he is President, which he well may be, the Rose Garden and Oval Office are not going to be 'private' property. He ought to start practicing now.
Media needs to learn its place they have gone from REPORTING the news to trying to MAKE the news. I agree with Trump. He will be our strong leader we need once and for all. Media is allowed WAY to much freedom to bait people and make something out of nothing.
I don't disagree with your opinion of the media, but I disagree with your (and Trump's) solution.

I'm still waiting for you to explain how it doesn't limit Huffington, National Review, et al's ability to factually cover and share Trump's campaign. 'splain, please

Where did you get the notion that Huffington post has a right to have access to his campaign?
Why doesn't it? He is running for public office to be President.

They have a right to report whatever information Trump is willing to give them, and not a thing more. Trump isn't required to provide any access whatever to the press if he doesn't want to. Freedom of speech doesn't translate into a right of the press to demand whatever information they want from private citizens. They have no such right, as the courts have ruled time after time.
The President of the United States is not a private citizen.

Trump isn't the president of the United States.
So you and Peach believe Trump will change his attitude the day he takes the Oath of Office? Don't be silly, guys.

Trump "banned" reporters from HIS PRIVATE PROPERTY!? OH GAWD!
The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior. When he is President, which he well may be, the Rose Garden and Oval Office are not going to be 'private' property. He ought to start practicing now.
Media needs to learn its place they have gone from REPORTING the news to trying to MAKE the news. I agree with Trump. He will be our strong leader we need once and for all. Media is allowed WAY to much freedom to bait people and make something out of nothing.
I don't disagree with your opinion of the media, but I disagree with your (and Trump's) solution.
That's no surprise I have very strong opinions on things and people rarely agree with me.

One example of many;
Trump is not a racist.

Some believe his statements reflect racism, in that he makes negative generalizations about an entire group of people based on the actions of some. Those statements of his are "facts" in that he did say them. Personally, I don't know what to think about him being racist, and I am uncomfortable with people who glibly label him as such. BUT those people would say his words are the facts they're basing it on.
I appreciate knowing what kind of lies he is referring to, anyway. Thanks.

Trump PAYS for the areas that he holds HIS rallys with HIS money . Seems to me that Trump can exclude those that he wants to exclude OldLady . Seems to me that Trumps events and rallies are PRIVATE aren't they OldLady ??
Nice deflection.

If Hillary or Obama pulled this shit we would be all over them. Rightly so. Trumps reaction to criticism should be alarming to all.

One example of many;
Trump is not a racist.

Some believe his statements reflect racism, in that he makes negative generalizations about an entire group of people based on the actions of some. Those statements of his are "facts" in that he did say them. Personally, I don't know what to think about him being racist, and I am uncomfortable with people who glibly label him as such. BUT those people would say his words are the facts they're basing it on.
I appreciate knowing what kind of lies he is referring to, anyway. Thanks.

That was the other lie spun from the news.
He did not generalize about an entire group or groups of people, whether it was illegal immigrants or halting Muslim immigrants temporarily.
These lies is what is causing the left to come out and protest over.
If you listened to the protestors in Chicago, they pretty much all quoted the lies that is being told to them.

Trump PAYS for the areas that he holds HIS rallys with HIS money . Seems to me that Trump can exclude those that he wants to exclude OldLady . Seems to me that Trumps events and rallies are PRIVATE aren't they OldLady ??

I was going to reply to their ignorant responses but realized it's a waste of time. To them, Trump has NO right to say anything because it would be against their beliefs - and demands.

Typical libprogs. :rolleyes:

It is up to Trump to decide if the venues are private of public. He has chosen to make them public in his effort to bring large numbers to the venues. If he wanted to make them private he could, but that would involve instigating and implementing restrictions and lower the numbers of participants as well as add additional cost. He can't have it both ways.

In this case that we are talking about, it is his private club with sent invitations and he has the right to deny anyone entrance.
I have not seen any evidence of denials to the public rallies.
I agree if the discussion is only about his private event on private property.
If he rents a hall owned by a local government, it's his private hall for the duration of the rental. The conditions are no different than if he had rented it from a private company.

Another leftwing dumbass who doesn't have a clue what "free speech" means.
Free speech means "Only That Speech That Agrees with ME" per Trump. What does it mean to you? I know what I think it means.

Hmmm, that isn't Trump's position on free speech. At his rallies, the audience has no freedom of speech. Outside his rallies, you're free to say whatever you want. Free speech doesn't require Trump to attend debates or answer questions from reporters. In fact, such a requirement would be the exact opposite of free speech. You need to get that through your head before you're capable of saying anything intelligent on the issue.
I'm just concerned about freedom of speech for the press, which Trump doesn't seem to respect.
Freedom of speech means the press can say what it likes. It doesn't mean they can interrogate people without their permission. The press has no right to force people to answer their questions.

Last edited:
Where did you get the notion that Huffington post has a right to have access to his campaign?
Why doesn't it? He is running for public office to be President.

They have a right to report whatever information Trump is willing to give them, and not a thing more. Trump isn't required to provide any access whatever to the press if he doesn't want to. Freedom of speech doesn't translate into a right of the press to demand whatever information they want from private citizens. They have no such right, as the courts have ruled time after time.
The President of the United States is not a private citizen.

Trump isn't the president of the United States.
So you and Peach believe Trump will change his attitude the day he takes the Oath of Office? Don't be silly, guys.
It's not a matter of his attitude. It's a matter of the responsibilities of his office.

Freedom of the press has turned into: Freedom to make up any BS they feel like and spew. I don't blame him for barring some of them. they aren't Fair or Balanced when it comes to reporting on him or any Republican for that matter.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back