Does The US Military Have Too Many Generals?

Our military is not mounted on horse back anymore...nor are we firing
single shot muskets.

Jobs that Sgts used to do...(Tank Commander are now done by officers and have been. All pilots are officers. All men inside our silos are officers.

We don't need 100 stokers pouring coal into a ship's boilers just a couple of officers monitoring our nuke engines.

The military is a little move advanced nowadays. Even our Special Forces units
demand more officers.

When Darby's Rangers got whipped at Cisterna, they really weren't Rangers.
The original men, most had been killed or wounded in North Africa and Sicily
and there was no training set up for replacement Rangers.

It's a different, more technical military that needs people with intelligence
running it.

I don't know if we've got too many Generals and Admirals, but we don't need
as many enlisted ranks.

Plus, let's not forget our Medical Corps and the number of Doctors we have
and our Judicial Branches of the Military and lawyers that are serving

Our military is not mounted on horse back anymore...nor are we firing
single shot muskets.

Jobs that Sgts used to do...(Tank Commander are now done by officers and have been. All pilots are officers. All men inside our silos are officers.

We don't need 100 stokers pouring coal into a ship's boilers just a couple of officers monitoring our nuke engines.

The military is a little move advanced nowadays. Even our Special Forces units
demand more officers.

When Darby's Rangers got whipped at Cisterna, they really weren't Rangers.
The original men, most had been killed or wounded in North Africa and Sicily
and there was no training set up for replacement Rangers.

It's a different, more technical military that needs people with intelligence
running it.

I don't know if we've got too many Generals and Admirals, but we don't need
as many enlisted ranks.

Plus, let's not forget our Medical Corps and the number of Doctors we have
and our Judicial Branches of the Military and lawyers that are serving
the USMC is not ''officer heavy''--they don't have ships/etc
the battalions are just about made up as they were before
you still need the enlisted ranks for wars like PG1, Grenada, etc

the lightly armed Rangers were caught in the open---going against tanks

You know, every command in the Navy has a document called an EPAD (Enlisted Personnel Action Document), that shows how many people we have, what their jobs are, what their ranks are. It's got a whole bunch of information on who and what kind of ratings (jobs) we have onboard.

The manning for the number of required officers is based on how many enlisted personnel are listed in the EPAD. Bureau of Personnel (BUPERS) are the ones that determine how the manning is done. They have a whole formula for it.

No, I know that at least the Navy doesn't have too many officers, or at least, didn't have too many when I was in. And yes, as a Personnelman, I was responsible for maintaining the EPAD.

You know, every command in the Navy has a document called an EPAD (Enlisted Personnel Action Document), that shows how many people we have, what their jobs are, what their ranks are. It's got a whole bunch of information on who and what kind of ratings (jobs) we have onboard.

The manning for the number of required officers is based on how many enlisted personnel are listed in the EPAD. Bureau of Personnel (BUPERS) are the ones that determine how the manning is done. They have a whole formula for it.

No, I know that at least the Navy doesn't have too many officers, or at least, didn't have too many when I was in. And yes, as a Personnelman, I was responsible for maintaining the EPAD.

In the Army, ours was called a TOE (Table of Organization and Equipment) or TDA (tables of distribution and allowances systems).

The TOE is for units like companies, battalions, etc. The TDA is for unusual units. Like the Navy, enlisted, warrants, and officers are based upon the number of individuals - including civilians.

It's the TDA units which are often top heavy as their purposes go beyond the standard mission. It's also not just that there might be too many Flag Officers (Generals) but the extensive personal staff they're entitled to (Aide-de-Camp, drivers, and so on).

They are getting rid of Army Captains who fail to be promoted to Major in a specified time but they have Generals commanding the same number of Troops as Captains used to command. Do they teach logic in general school?
They still get rid of Colonels who do not make General

The nature of the Armed Forces has changed. Not as many infantry soldiers are needed to do the same mission
The command remains the same

I always thought generals were created for other generals to pin medals on.

They are getting rid of Army Captains who fail to be promoted to Major in a specified time but they have Generals commanding the same number of Troops as Captains used to command. Do they teach logic in general school?
They still get rid of Colonels who do not make General

The nature of the Armed Forces has changed. Not as many infantry soldiers are needed to do the same mission
The command remains the same

It's called High Year Tenure, and if you fail to achieve a certain rank in a certain time, you are told that your services are no longer retired. Enlisted personnel have something like that as well. You have to make E-5 by the time you hit 10 years, or they tell you to go home. You can retire as an E-5 however, because you can go all the way to 20 as an E-5.

Forum List

Back