US military needs to be completely revamped

Or attend college.

I thought it was funny when I enrolled in a local community college in 1993 after I was medically discharged from the Marines. And when I was registering they told me I had to show proof that I was enrolled in the Selective Service system.

I simply returned the next day with my DD-214, and showed that not only had I already served 10 years so was no longer eligible to be drafted, I was medically exempt from service. They called out one of the assistant deans who signed off on the form saying I was exempt from that requirement.
You somehow joined the Marine Corps without registering for selective service? Did you join before you turned 18?

I joined when there was no registration. When the registration started, I registered anyway even though I was a veteran and not eligible to be drafted.
Yeah but if he was medically discharged after 10 years of service he must have joined in 83. Im not a selective service historian but I’m relatively comfortable that it started prior to that

I joined in 1978.
I wasn’t talking about you.

On 2 July 1980, President Jimmy Carter, signed Proclamation 4771 (Registration Under the Military Selective Service Act) in response to the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan in the previous year of 1979,[26] retroactively re-establishing the Selective Service registration requirement for all 18- to 26-year-old male citizens born on or after 1 January 1960.[27] As a result, only men born between 29 March 1957, and 31 December 1959, were completely exempt from Selective Service registration.[28]

I wasn’t talking about you.

On 2 July 1980, President Jimmy Carter, signed Proclamation 4771 (Registration Under the Military Selective Service Act) in response to the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan in the previous year of 1979,[26] retroactively re-establishing the Selective Service registration requirement for all 18- to 26-year-old male citizens born on or after 1 January 1960.[27] As a result, only men born between 29 March 1957, and 31 December 1959, were completely exempt from Selective Service registration.[28]
He and I are about the same age, I believe.

You somehow joined the Marine Corps without registering for selective service? Did you join before you turned 18?

Exactly.

I joined the Marine Corps at 17, so did not have to register. You only have to register once you turn 18. And as I had already enlisted when I turned 18, I did not have to register.

I was medically retired at 28, so once again did not have to register. I had already completed my term of service, and was entered in the system with an RE code that had me unfit for service other than in a national emergency. And if I was to be brought back in, it would be through the Medical Review board clearing me to return and activating me again. That is not being "drafted".

He and I are about the same age, I believe.

If I had not already joined the Marines, I would have had to register.

Once you join the military, your name is automatically entered into the system, The same when you are discharged, you are updated in the system with the conditions related to your discharge.

And once somebody has served, they no longer need to register as they technically can not be "drafted". If they had not served their full 8 year commitment then they are simply reactivated. And it is basically the same for anybody that has completed the 8 year minimum. They are recalled to active service without the need to go to boot camp or attend any extra training.

What a lot of people miss is that one of the most important aspects of the draft is to have a steady flow so as to not overload the training facilities. Most are not aware that during WWII, by 1942 nobody other than select required personnel (like doctors and pilots) could actually "enlist". You could go to a recruiting station, and all they could do is sign you up for a branch of service and a preferred job and giving you an induction physical. After that, you went home and waited for your number to be called.

The training camps were so overloaded after Pearl Harbor that it caused major problems. And after each victory or loss the cycle was repeated. So unless somebody was already qualified for a high demand job they simply had to wait for their number as that was the only way they could regulate how many would ship off to training each week. However, it was still advantageous to go to the recruiting station and get a branch and job guaranteed. Otherwise you might have had a dream of being in the Army and working on an M4 Sherman Tank. Only to find out you got assigned to the Navy as a messman.

I believe the US spends over $800 billion on so called defence, it's a money making scam for the industrial military complex, why many Americans don't wake up to the fact they are the ones being taken for ride, it's their taxes.

I believe the US spends over $800 billion on so called defence, it's a money making scam for the industrial military complex, why many Americans don't wake up to the fact they are the ones being taken for ride, it's their taxes.
It’s how we have 200 3 and 4 star generals with staffing of 150 to 200 thousand but are out of ammo

Forum List

Back