Does small town America...

roomy

The Natural
Apr 22, 2006
still exist?

The white picket fences, apple pie, girl and boy next door, soda pop bars and the wide eyed American dreamers.The idyll we used to see in the movies that has been replaced by visions of poverty, drugs and violence.

They exist, though very few. The ones you see in movies though never existed. The real small towns are not how the media portrays them and never have been.

I hope someone disagrees with you otherwise my illusions will be shattered.

still exist?

The white picket fences, apple pie, girl and boy next door, soda pop bars and the wide eyed American dreamers.The idyll we used to see in the movies that has been replaced by visions of poverty, drugs and violence.

Close. We have well maintained yards in cul de sacs, neighbors that watch out for everyone else, pretty decent kids (with a FEW exceptions), weekend farmers markets downtown, bowling alleys and volunteer centers, etc.

Personally, I like it. I can actually leave my keys in my truck, and leave my truck running while I run in to a store, gas station, or Starbucks, and it'll still be there when I get out.

i live in rural america..in the south....kitten is right...it has never been "andy" or the "beverly hillbillies"

i often say i live in a town where everyone knows what everyone knows...there are few secrets. feuds run deep...most of the violence is family or domestic. we have crack and meth just like the big towns.
but we have a safety unlike big towns, wee ones still swim nekkid, hell big ones still swim nekkid. people know if you go to church or not. we celebrate life and morn the dead. its just a much much slower pace. we mind our own business about things too....if it works for the families involved its not our business...resulting in some small town situations that are too weird...couples have just swapped partners...or the guys with two wives...its an area where they can live and not be haressed...a lot of older women with younger men....and for some reason this is a very gay tolerant area. you would think with all the rednecks it wouldnt be...but it is.

The strange thing, in spite of the fact that small town America is nothing like the movies and shows, I still hate the big city and would love to live in a small town, but then I'd have to buy a SUV. ;)

still exist?

Close. We have well maintained yards in cul de sacs, neighbors that watch out for everyone else, pretty decent kids (with a FEW exceptions), weekend farmers markets downtown, bowling alleys and volunteer centers, etc.

Personally, I like it. I can actually leave my keys in my truck, and leave my truck running while I run in to a store, gas station, or Starbucks, and it'll still be there when I get out.

Same here.

Although if you go 10 miles to the east, notsomuch.

Suburbs of Atlanta are weird that way.

Roomy, watch this vid. It was made where I live, and yes, small town America still exists. If you get off the interstates and get on the one lane roads you'll see it.

It's there,it's not perfect, but it's not dead yet.

*{click the blue bar where it has the title to play it}

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eDkAG3R0h8]YouTube - John Mellencamp - Small Town[/ame]

Forum List

Back