Does Paula Deen Really Have To Go On An Apology Tour?

I couldn't find the incident I was looking for in a quick search, but did run across these two incidents:

(Note: Presdent Obama subsequently apologized for calling her 'good looking')

CNN) - It was a quick remark, made in front of Democratic donors and a few reporters, that has launched a thousand conversations about successful women and their looks.

For some, President Barack Obama’s observation that California Attorney General Kamala Harris “happens to be, by far, the best looking attorney general” brought to mind countless instances of women being judged for their appearance rather than their aptitude.

But others saw something different – a harmless compliment – and wondered when it became sexist to tell a woman she’s beautiful.

The remark came during a fundraiser for the Democratic National Committee in the Bay Area. Harris, who is considered a rising star in the Democratic Party, gave the president a rousing introduction.

No video cameras were allowed inside, but a print pool reporter noted the president’s remark.

“She’s brilliant and she’s dedicated, she’s tough… She also happens to be, by far, the best looking attorney general,” Obama said, according to the report.
Obama quip: Was it sexist or complimentary to call AG good-looking? | KDVR.com

Don't know if Musberger apologized for this one or not. . . .

Calling a beautiful woman “beautiful” or “good looking” is now “creepy sexist“?

During an American football game (Alabama-Notre Dame BCS Championship game in Miami, Florida) an ESPN game caller noticed Katherine Webb, the girlfriend of the Alabama quarterback A.J. McCarron sitting in the stands. “Wow, I’m telling you quarterbacks: You get all the good-looking women,” the caller said to air while the camera was focused on Webb, who was sitting with McCarron’s mother.

“What a beautiful woman. Wow!”

Ahem…she was Miss Alabama 2012, so is beautiful. She looks pretty beautiful to me.

Twitters immediately found the innocuous comments exist, and the coverage attracted hundreds of thousands of tweets. “Can’t decide what’s making me change channels – blowout potential, ref bias, or BRENT MUSBURGER’S CREEPY SEXIST COMMENTS,” wrote one woman.

Another tweeted to ESPN: “Get Brent Musburger and his sexist comments off of TV.”
?Beautiful? is now ?Creepy Sexist?? | coNZervative

Are either of these extemporaneous statements really a big deal? Really?

I couldn't find the incident I was looking for in a quick search, but did run across these two incidents:

CNN) - It was a quick remark, made in front of Democratic donors and a few reporters, that has launched a thousand conversations about successful women and their looks.

For some, President Barack Obama’s observation that California Attorney General Kamala Harris “happens to be, by far, the best looking attorney general” brought to mind countless instances of women being judged for their appearance rather than their aptitude.

But others saw something different – a harmless compliment – and wondered when it became sexist to tell a woman she’s beautiful.

The remark came during a fundraiser for the Democratic National Committee in the Bay Area. Harris, who is considered a rising star in the Democratic Party, gave the president a rousing introduction.

No video cameras were allowed inside, but a print pool reporter noted the president’s remark.

“She’s brilliant and she’s dedicated, she’s tough… She also happens to be, by far, the best looking attorney general,” Obama said, according to the report.

During an American football game (Alabama-Notre Dame BCS Championship game in Miami, Florida) an ESPN game caller noticed Katherine Webb, the girlfriend of the Alabama quarterback A.J. McCarron sitting in the stands. “Wow, I’m telling you quarterbacks: You get all the good-looking women,” the caller said to air while the camera was focused on Webb, who was sitting with McCarron’s mother.

Ahem…she was Miss Alabama 2012, so is beautiful. She looks pretty beautiful to me.

Twitters immediately found the innocuous comments exist, and the coverage attracted hundreds of thousands of tweets. “Can’t decide what’s making me change channels – blowout potential, ref bias, or BRENT MUSBURGER’S CREEPY SEXIST COMMENTS,” wrote one woman.

Another tweeted to ESPN: “Get Brent Musburger and his sexist comments off of TV.”

I have bolded a couple of things.

I would consider that in those two scenarios, where and when they took place, the statements were sexist.

Let's just suppose all things are equal for a couple of questions?

Where are the female quarterbacks who get all the good looking men?

When was a male attorney ever introduced and had his looks brought into the line up of credentials either as part or the sum of them?

Give me the quotes. If these are not sexist and the women spoken of are the true equals of men, there must be gazillions of them out there. I will wait. But I won't hold my breath.

If these statements were made in a different setting, a private setting with a group of friends, just noting the attractiveness of the woman might not be sexist, but rather just part of the friendly banter. But when you bring a woman's looks into the professional equation, then that is sexist. What about female dominated sports? Do the women in female dominated sports get all the 'trophy husbands?'

Now, I will have to say that if I had never had to work and had never felt the sting of sexism in the workplace, I might see it differently. But there are things that are just not appropriate to say in the workplace. When I was just out of high school, we had to tolerate men groping us, so yeah, we've come a long way baby. But we've got a lot farther to go. I have noticed that the first ones on here to cry 'racist' think nothing about attacking me because I have a degree in a male dominated field. And they don't even respect the female dominated field I have both a bachelor's, a master's, a national certification, DEA license, and prescriptive authority in. They think nothing of telling me to stick with emptying bedpans. Of course they don't think redneck is racist and that only white people are bigots. Only their own bigoted agenda is qualified.

I will add that, if you notice, most professional women and women in government aren't really taken seriously until they are matronly looking. I reference the look that Margaret Thatcher had when elected prime minister. I think America is wasting a lot of talent with its sexist agenda.

Last edited:
Looks like we all need to be extra sensative about who we call *******, queers, *****, chinks, kikes, and crackas.

:eusa_eh:

OOps.

Hey, come on now. If you can't say the gooks, the next thing, you can't say the chinks, the spicks, the spooks and kikes. All that's gonna be left in here are a couple of brain-dead liberals, and what fun would that be?

-- Adrian Cronauer, Good Morning Vietnam -- paraphrased

The point is, who gets to decide what somebody means when they use a term like Redneck? Or use language in any other way, with perfectly innocent intent, that others hear as politically incorrect? And who gets to decide who gets a pass for committing a PC faux pas and who must be destroyed?
Liberals, of course. Just ask 'em.

I would consider that in those two scenarios, where and when they took place, the statements were sexist.

When was a male attorney ever introduced and had his looks brought into the line up of credentials either as part or the sum of them?

Give me the quotes. If these are not sexist and the women spoken of are the true equals of men, there must be gazillions of them out there. I will wait. But I won't hold my breath.

If these statements were made in a different setting, a private setting with a group of friends, just noting the attractiveness of the woman might not be sexist, but rather just part of the friendly banter. But when you bring a woman's looks into the professional equation, then that is sexist. What about female dominated sports? Do the women in female dominated sports get all the 'trophy husbands.?'

Now, I will have to say that if I had never had to work and had never felt the sting of sexism in the workplace, I might see it differently. But there are things that are just not appropriate to say in the workplace. When I was just out of high school, we had to tolerate men groping us, so yeah, we've come a long way baby. But we've got a lot farther to go.

I will add that, if you notice, most professional women and women in government aren't really taken seriously until they are matronly looking. I reference the look that Margaret Thatcher had when elected prime minister. I think America is wasting a lot of talent with its sexist agenda.

But again that isn't the point, Sunshine. I have worked at least one job for 99% of my life starting in junior high. I have experienced most kinds of discrimination that you can think of and have had to deal with a lot of the ugly 'isms. I KNOW what is intended to be sexist and/or racist or whatever 'ist is involved, and I'm pretty sure I can recognize a spontaneous and extemporaneous remark intended to be a compliment and not in any way 'ist.

Hypersensitivity and most especially immediate criticism and demands for discipline or punative measures can certainly spotlight the -isms. It can also be entirely over reaction, unjust, unfair, and trigger resentments that can keep real 'isms alive and well for decades or centuries longer than would otherwise be the case. How are men to take women seriously as professionals and equals when they are hypersensitive and become all indignant and huffy to every imagined innuendo or inflection or an honest compliment? How are minorities not going to be resented and have their skin color or ethnicity magnified when they take offense at the slightest un-PC expression?

Sometimes I think we have lost all perspective and balance in our interpersonal relationships. Or worse, it is part of some larger engineered agenda to provide excuses to attack enemies and control the people.

Either way, I see it as a bad thing.

If these statements were made in a different setting, a private setting with a group of friends, just noting the attractiveness of the woman might not be sexist, but rather just part of the friendly banter. But when you bring a woman's looks into the professional equation, then that is sexist. What about female dominated sports? Do the women in female dominated sports get all the 'trophy husbands.?'

Now, I will have to say that if I had never had to work and had never felt the sting of sexism in the workplace, I might see it differently. But there are things that are just not appropriate to say in the workplace. When I was just out of high school, we had to tolerate men groping us, so yeah, we've come a long way baby. But we've got a lot farther to go.

But again that isn't the point, Sunshine. I have worked at least one job for 99% of my life starting in junior high. I have experienced most kinds of discrimination that you can think of and have had to deal with a lot of the ugly 'isms. I KNOW what is intended to be sexist and/or racist or whatever 'ist is involved, and I'm pretty sure I can recognize a spontaneous and extemporaneous remark intended to be a compliment and not in any way 'ist.

Hypersensitivity and most especially immediate criticism and demands for discipline or punative measures can certainly spotlight the -isms. It can also be entirely over reaction, unjust, unfair, and trigger resentments that can keep real 'isms alive and well for decades or centuries longer than would otherwise be the case. How are men to take women seriously as professionals and equals when they are hypersensitive and become all indignant and huffy to every imagined innuendo or inflection or an honest compliment? How are minorities not going to be resented and have their skin color or ethnicity magnified when they take offense at the slightest un-PC expression?

Sometimes I think we have lost all perspective and balance in our interpersonal relationships. Or worse, it is part of some larger engineered agenda to provide excuses to attack enemies and control the people.

Either way, I see it as a bad thing.

And most everyone can claim 'my intent was honorable.' When their intent was NOT honorable. Those comments are condescending and sexist. Let's talk about professional women STILL making less than men in the same professions. If equality of the genders is not going to be honored with the voice, then it will not be honored with the paycheck. Now, YOU go try to raise and educate two children from ages 9 and 11 alone. Get back with me when you are done. We will compare notes then. And don't forget that list of female quarterbacks while you are at it.

There is no place for those comments in the professional world. And I gave a male nursing student an unsatisfactory when he remarked that there was 'too much estrogen' on the clinical unit. It would have been a disservice to him not to. He would get canned over that in a Nashville hospital, AND get the hospital sued if he became a manager. Hypersensitive, my ass. There is appropriate and there is inappropriate.

Last edited:
There is inappropriate and there is hypersensitivity and there is just being ourselves as human beings. I promote knowing the difference between these things, knowing not to make mountains out of molehills, and not inserting a toxic element into situations that were never intended to be that.

(And I HAVE raised and educated two kids and I have worked a great deal in occupations normally considered a man's world. I'm not looking at this through any prism of assumptions or rose colored glasses.)

Last edited:
There is inappropriate and there is hypersensitivity and there is just being ourselves as human beings. I promote knowing the difference between these things, knowing not to make mountains out of molehills, and not inserting a toxic element into situations that were never intended to be that.

(And I HAVE raised and educated two kids and I have worked a great deal in occupations normally considered a man's world. I'm not looking at this through any prism of assumptions or rose colored glasses.)

Well you haven't given me the name of any man whose appearance was a part of his professional credentials, nor have you given me any female quarterbacks.

And I believe that you ARE looking at it the way most uneducated women do, unfortunately. And that is through lenses that diminish the accomplishments of educated, professional women. I have seen it every day. And I hear it in comments women make about how much 'easier' men are to work for and how 'hard' it is to work with 'a bunch of women.' Well, I have worked in a female dominated profession with educated professional women. And the true professionals would be offended at those remarks. The backbiting techs would think those remarks were just fine.

But then I've never used the N word. I was taught that it was coarse and vulgar and only people of low breeding used it.

I would add that I don't think I would have demanded an apology from the president, but I would have handed it back to him with humor and he would have known.........

It did not escape me that when Obama won the election he made Hillary a secretary.

Last edited:
I remember an incident on the no. 24 Bus on York street here in Denver in the early eighties. I was sitting in a seat behind a Black girl and her son. It was kind of cute, he kept peeking up from behind the seat ahead with those big cute brown watery eyes of his. It was cute. But then this 3 year old tyke asks his mom " is that a H-word? I winked at him, and pretended not to notice, his mother told him to shut up. His mother moved them to another seat. I thought of CSNY's song: teach your children well. I got over it. Why can't we do that with NOW? Wink, and get on with it.

I remember an incident on the Green Line going through Allston back in the late 90s. I was sitting about half a car away from an elderly Chinese lady who was sitting by herself. A few seats behind her was a black woman and her 4-5 year old son. This black woman seemed to be paying a lot of attention to the old Chinese lady (peering over and whatnot). At one point she leans over and starts talking into her child's ear for a few minutes. The child then stands up, and with a gentle push from his mother from behind, walks over and in front of the Chinese lady. The child then proceeds to pull back the corners of his eyes, jut out his upper teeth, and dance around in front of the old lady saying "ching chong, ching chong!" in a sing-songy voice. The child's mother is at this point laughing hysterically and clapping her hands in time with the child's performance. The old lady looked to have no idea what was going on and why this kid was acting so strangely, but most of the other passengers were stunned into silence for a moment not believing our eyes. A number of passengers started to stand up just as the train reached the next stop and the woman and child got off. As the train continued on, some of the passengers exchanged silent glances as if to say "wtf? did that just happen?" The old Chinese lady seemed fairly oblivious to the whole thing (or else had a killer poker face).

In addition to anger and outrage, I felt deeply disappointed that this woman, who I don't doubt had been subject to racism more than a few times in her own life, would do this to her own child (not to mention being so disrespectful to an elderly woman). It brought to mind the phenomenon of a person abused as a child later going on to abuse their own children.

It's hard to be optimistic about the human condition sometimes.

I was 55 when I went to China. I really expected not to be able to keep up with the rest of the entourage. But I learned when I got there that we had been invited by the Chinese nurses to teach their nurses because we were 'older nurse authorities.' The oldest in our group was 76. Most were older than me. None were under 30. The Chinese handled us like we were gold. I thought of that when I had my rotator cuff surgery and no one at WalMart would help me get my groceries to the car and when I was still using a walker after knee replacement and other customers would about knock me down to get around me.

It sounds right that you would be respected for your expertise by others in the field under those circumstances. Don't be fooled though. If you were getting around with a walker trying to buy tickets or get on a train during a busy time in China the other customers would have literally knocked you down.

Looks like we all need to be extra sensative about who we call *******, queers, *****, chinks, kikes, and crackas.

:eusa_eh:

OOps.

Wow. You posted all those words. You're so edgy and cool. You just don't care. What a maverick... :rolleyes:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWgVdY3SfbI]Family Guy - Craig Hoffman - YouTube[/ame]

It isn't to me but when a black person calls me redneck, then yes, it usually is. Is a black person calling another black person nxxxxx racial to you?

As a black man, No. No its not racist when Blacks say it to blacks. Seriously, if you dont understand that, there is no way I can help you.

Its that simple.

I understand epithets, but being called a redneck is racist to you? When I was in the military, I met people from all over the country and heard that before and never thought of it as racist.

Foxworthy is the most non controversial comic I know of and he disagrees with you. Eh, live and learn.
I hate double standards.

You embrace them. Asshole.

what would happen if a white person used the phrase " typical black person" in any context?

I remember an incident on the no. 24 Bus on York street here in Denver in the early eighties. I was sitting in a seat behind a Black girl and her son. It was kind of cute, he kept peeking up from behind the seat ahead with those big cute brown watery eyes of his. It was cute. But then this 3 year old tyke asks his mom " is that a H-word? I winked at him, and pretended not to notice, his mother told him to shut up. His mother moved them to another seat. I thought of CSNY's song: teach your children well. I got over it. Why can't we do that with NOW? Wink, and get on with it.

I remember an incident on the Green Line going through Allston back in the late 90s. I was sitting about half a car away from an elderly Chinese lady who was sitting by herself. A few seats behind her was a black woman and her 4-5 year old son. This black woman seemed to be paying a lot of attention to the old Chinese lady (peering over and whatnot). At one point she leans over and starts talking into her child's ear for a few minutes. The child then stands up, and with a gentle push from his mother from behind, walks over and in front of the Chinese lady. The child then proceeds to pull back the corners of his eyes, jut out his upper teeth, and dance around in front of the old lady saying "ching chong, ching chong!" in a sing-songy voice. The child's mother is at this point laughing hysterically and clapping her hands in time with the child's performance. The old lady looked to have no idea what was going on and why this kid was acting so strangely, but most of the other passengers were stunned into silence for a moment not believing our eyes. A number of passengers started to stand up just as the train reached the next stop and the woman and child got off. As the train continued on, some of the passengers exchanged silent glances as if to say "wtf? did that just happen?" The old Chinese lady seemed fairly oblivious to the whole thing (or else had a killer poker face).

In addition to anger and outrage, I felt deeply disappointed that this woman, who I don't doubt had been subject to racism more than a few times in her own life, would do this to her own child (not to mention being so disrespectful to an elderly woman). It brought to mind the phenomenon of a person abused as a child later going on to abuse their own children.

It's hard to be optimistic about the human condition sometimes.

That's a disgusting story, it really pisses me of when people who were or are discriminated against because of their race turn around and act just like their oppressors. I'm not a boisterous person, but I definitely would have said something to that lady along the lines of what I said above...........................

I agree with you. Terrible to treat others that way.

As a black man, No. No its not racist when Blacks say it to blacks. Seriously, if you dont understand that, there is no way I can help you.

Its that simple.

I understand epithets, but being called a redneck is racist to you? When I was in the military, I met people from all over the country and heard that before and never thought of it as racist.

Foxworthy is the most non controversial comic I know of and he disagrees with you. Eh, live and learn.
I hate double standards.

You embrace them. Asshole.

what would happen if a white person used the phrase " typical black person" in any context?
frankenstein-500x392.jpg

If these statements were made in a different setting, a private setting with a group of friends, just noting the attractiveness of the woman might not be sexist, but rather just part of the friendly banter. But when you bring a woman's looks into the professional equation, then that is sexist. What about female dominated sports? Do the women in female dominated sports get all the 'trophy husbands?'

Now, I will have to say that if I had never had to work and had never felt the sting of sexism in the workplace, I might see it differently. But there are things that are just not appropriate to say in the workplace. When I was just out of high school, we had to tolerate men groping us, so yeah, we've come a long way baby. But we've got a lot farther to go. I have noticed that the first ones on here to cry 'racist' think nothing about attacking me because I have a degree in a male dominated field. And they don't even respect the female dominated field I have both a bachelor's, a master's, a national certification, DEA license, and prescriptive authority in. They think nothing of telling me to stick with emptying bedpans. Of course they don't think redneck is racist and that only white people are bigots. Only their own bigoted agenda is qualified.

you obviously know nothing about football

men are quarterbacks
women are centers

Well you haven't given me the name of any man whose appearance was a part of his professional credentials, nor have you given me any female quarterbacks.

And I believe that you ARE looking at it the way most uneducated women do, unfortunately. And that is through lenses that diminish the accomplishments of educated, professional women. I have seen it every day. And I hear it in comments women make about how much 'easier' men are to work for and how 'hard' it is to work with 'a bunch of women.' Well, I have worked in a female dominated profession with educated professional women. And the true professionals would be offended at those remarks. The backbiting techs would think those remarks were just fine.

But then I've never used the N word. I was taught that it was coarse and vulgar and only people of low breeding used it.

I would add that I don't think I would have demanded an apology from the president, but I would have handed it back to him with humor and he would have known.........

It did not escape me that when Obama won the election he made Hillary a secretary.

Well I'm sorry that you see me as looking through the lenses of an uneducated, non professional woman who has had her accomplishment diminished. Who knew I was all that? Ah well. . . . .

I won't even get into the science that men and women are different and that the difference is okay. Are women less capable? As NFL quarterbacks, as a rule yes they are. In the many male-dominated occupations I have been privileged to engage in, no we were not. While professional men certainly take pride in their appearance and make sure it is appropriate for their respective career settings, they are more likely to solicit compliments for their sports cars, elephant guns, and golf swings. Women, on the other hand spend billions to be as attractive and yes, perceived as beautiful, as they can be. And to go through all that trouble for the $100 perm, manicure, expensive makeup, false eyelashes, and color coordinated sexy outfit, she is supposed to be offended if somebody pays her a compliment on her appearance????? Let's get real.

I am as emancipated as any woman you will find on the planet. But I long ago set aside insecurities that men and women have to be seen exactly alike, treated exactly alike, before women can be 'equals'. Why should we demand that we be exactly like them? To me, that is not what liberation is. Why not demand that the world treat them like us? It would make just as much sense.

Well...I learned that redneck is a slur and I have used that term often, similar to what blacks call each other in rap songs and amongst themselves (nigga).....so one positive note came of this whole thing. I learned it's crude to use the term redneck. It never struck me as racist or rude. Until now.

And if, at 60 years old, this old dog learned a new trick at what is considered taboo...maybe an older dog (Paula) learned from it too. Should I be fired if I worked in a public field for using redneck? Yes, although I wouldn't dream of calling a customer "hey redneck! Anything I can do for you?" or it came to public attention I called my gardener "redneck" or wanted a wedding for my son to be "nothing but rednecks complete with jacuzzis made out of plastic liner in the bed of trucks for the guests". My boss would have control over who he/she would want representing their company. I also wouldn't go running around apologizing, either. I would just say "I didn't realize. It won't happen again", but I wouldn't grovel. What is, is.

Anyway...I think FN will change their minds. She will be back. I think everyone is fed up with the double standards over that word. Paula is the proverbial straw on the camels back. And if they do take her back. Great. I still won't watch her. Which is MY prerogative, just as it is for those who enjoy her cooking, will watch.

As someone else said in one of the many threads about this....there are other issues far more important to get all excited about. What happens to some celeb is not one of them.

But even you seem to be missing the point Gracie. I can accept that YOU see Redneck as a perjorative term. Can you accept that I can use it in ways that are not? That those I call 'redneck" know exactly what I mean and are not in the least offended? Of course I wouldn't call a stranger by 'redneck' or any other descriptive term. You just don't do that. But I would fully expect to be able to go on a talk show and explain what redneck means to me without being crucified for my opinion.

Sometime back, some public figured referred to a woman as 'beautiful" and was immediately called out for a sexist remark. She was quick to respond that she didn't mind being called 'beautiful" and that one blew over fairly quickly, but it did illustrate how hypersensitive as a society we have become.

In my opinion it is one of several factors that keeps racism, sexism, and other ugly 'isms alive and well.
In the early to mid 20th century in the South her comments would have gone unnoticed because that's the way most whites saw blacks. Today, by most anyone's gauge, her comments would be considered racist.

“Well what I would really like is a bunch of little ******* to wear long-sleeve white shirts, black shorts and black bow ties, you know in the Shirley Temple days, they used to tap dance around,” the lawsuit claims Deen said. “Now that would be a true southern wedding, wouldn’t it? But we can’t do that because the media would be on me about that.”

Read The Full Transcript Of Paula Deen’s Controversial Racial Comments | TPMDC

Why? You would think Republicans would embrace her for being so honest.

Why? You would think Republicans would embrace her for being so honest.

Her political affiliation has no bearing on this issue, and Liberals on this board seem to back her real well, as this is a 30 year old issue.

Well I'm sorry that you see me as looking through the lenses of an uneducated, non professional woman who has had her accomplishment diminished. Who knew I was all that? Ah well. . . . .

I won't even get into the science that men and women are different and that the difference is okay. Are women less capable? As NFL quarterbacks, as a rule yes they are. In the many male-dominated occupations I have been privileged to engage in, no we were not. While professional men certainly take pride in their appearance and make sure it is appropriate for their respective career settings, they are more likely to solicit compliments for their sports cars, elephant guns, and golf swings. Women, on the other hand spend billions to be as attractive and yes, perceived as beautiful, as they can be. And to go through all that trouble for the $100 perm, manicure, expensive makeup, false eyelashes, and color coordinated sexy outfit, she is supposed to be offended if somebody pays her a compliment on her appearance????? Let's get real.

I am as emancipated as any woman you will find on the planet. But I long ago set aside insecurities that men and women have to be seen exactly alike, treated exactly alike, before women can be 'equals'. Why should we demand that we be exactly like them? To me, that is not what liberation is. Why not demand that the world treat them like us? It would make just as much sense.

You miss the point entirely. The person Obama made the comment about is an educated attorney. Female attorneys are not less capable than male attorneys, and adding looks to the mix as a credential is just wrong. He SHOULD have apologized.

But I can tell you this, your prejudice toward women is merely part of the mass self loathing women have been taught. I see it every day in my practice as an NP. Woman are taught to be dependent on men, then 20 years in when the man dies and they can't support themselves and go into an emotional crisis they have 'dependent personality disorder.' I refused to diagnose that. I don't think they have a diagnosis. I think they are victims of people like you who loathe women and think women need to stay in their 'place- - the kitchen, and out of the schools.

I can also tell you that women are still discriminated against in medical and law schools. At Vanderbilt the school most often cited for sexual harassment is the medical school. Not sure if it is anywhere online, but I get the papers from there. There was a study done a while ago. And my own experience in law school was not one of sexual harassment in terms of sexual favors, but they were harder on the women in terms of their 'pimping' which even doctors say law schools have raised to an art even beyond medical schools, and the male students were overtly hostile to us. (Pimping in this context means humiliating you in front of your peers.)

You miss the point entirely. The person Obama made the comment about is an educated attorney. Female attorneys are not less capable than male attorneys, and adding looks to the mix as a credential is just wrong. He SHOULD have apologized.

But I can tell you this, your prejudice toward women is merely part of the mass self loathing women have been taught. I see it every day in my practice as an NP. Woman are taught to be dependent on men, then 20 years in when the man dies and they can't support themselves and go into an emotional crisis they have 'dependent personality disorder.' I refused to diagnose that. I don't think they have a diagnosis. I think they are victims of people like you who loathe women and think women need to stay in their 'place- - the kitchen, and out of the schools.

I can also tell you that women are still discriminated against in medical and law schools. At Vanderbilt the school most often cited for sexual harassment is the medical school. Not sure if it is anywhere online, but I get the papers from there. There was a study done a while ago. And my own experience in law school was not one of sexual harassment in terms of sexual favors, but they were harder on the women in terms of their 'pimping' which even doctors say law schools have raised to an art even beyond medical schools, and the male students were overtly hostile to us. (Pimping in this context means humiliating you in front of your peers.)

Oh good. Now I am uneducated, nonprofessional, woman who has had her accomplished diminished AND I am prejudiced against women and am self loathing.

My goodness you do have a low opinion of me don't you? And you have no clue who I am, what I have done, what I have accomplished, but you feel competent to judge me?

Well I'm sorry, I feel I've held my own in a man's world pretty damn well as well as having successfully worked for and with women over the years and having been the employer of women, including as many as 70 at one time, I will kindly reject your highly presumptious judgment of me. I happen to like men and I happen to like women and enjoy both equally well. I prefer to prove my worth and earn respect through what I can accomplish rather than get on my high horse, despise, accuse, look for any opening to be offended, and feel victimized by the guys I have also worked with, been employee of, and have had as employees over the years. I've earned my professional credentials. Nobody gave them to me, though I am grateful to both the men and women who gave me the opportunity to get them.

I won't play the victim card, therefore you think less of me. So be it. Just like minorities have had to do, women have had to fight for their own place in society. Both of those wars have been won. It is time to stop fighting them and start benefitting from the victory.

I recommend that for everybody.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back