Does Heaven Exist?

Mindful

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2014
Here, there, and everywhere.
When most atheists and theists discuss God, one thing that always stands out as an enormous problem is the existence of suffering and evil, despite many atheists not believing in the latter. They argue: how could an all-loving, all-powerful God create such a world of perpetual misery punctuated by brief moments of joy? The short answer to that profound, emotional moral question is: Freedom of the Will and an eternal afterlife of bliss, void of any pain or suffering.

On moral evil, God gives us freedom to choose what to do rather than use us as puppets, rendering us soulless. However, with this freedom, some people unwittingly inflict suffering onto themselves, while others inflict it onto other human beings. As for natural evil (earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, tsunamis, etc), such phenomena are requirements for sustaining a stable, functioning earth, thus maintaining the survival of human creatures lucky to escape the fatal consequences of the above.

For instance, in a Godless universe, a tsunami killing thousands of people is both good and bad: bad for those unfortunate people who suffered and died, but good for the marine life which feasts on the victims who drowned. This brings us on to the subject of Heaven: does it exist and will the victims of tsunamis or other fatal misfortunes, both moral and natural, go there?

For if it does exist, then any Christian who drowned and was killed in a tsunami or any other natural disaster and is redeemed by God, will have his or her earthly sufferings curtailed while entering the bliss of eternal life in Heaven.

Does Heaven Exist?

• Banned
Henry_Ossawa_Tanner_-_The_Annunciation.jpg

The Annunciation, Henry Ossawa Tanner, 1898

When most atheists and theists discuss God, one thing that always stands out as an enormous problem is the existence of suffering and evil, despite many atheists not believing in the latter. They argue: how could an all-loving, all-powerful God create such a world of perpetual misery punctuated by brief moments of joy? The short answer to that profound, emotional moral question is: Freedom of the Will and an eternal afterlife of bliss, void of any pain or suffering.

On moral evil, God gives us freedom to choose what to do rather than use us as puppets, rendering us soulless. However, with this freedom, some people unwittingly inflict suffering onto themselves, while others inflict it onto other human beings. As for natural evil (earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, tsunamis, etc), such phenomena are requirements for sustaining a stable, functioning earth, thus maintaining the survival of human creatures lucky to escape the fatal consequences of the above.

For instance, in a Godless universe, a tsunami killing thousands of people is both good and bad: bad for those unfortunate people who suffered and died, but good for the marine life which feasts on the victims who drowned. This brings us on to the subject of Heaven: does it exist and will the victims of tsunamis or other fatal misfortunes, both moral and natural, go there?

For if it does exist, then any Christian who drowned and was killed in a tsunami or any other natural disaster and is redeemed by God, will have his or her earthly sufferings curtailed while entering the bliss of eternal life in Heaven.

Does Heaven Exist?
Do jews believe in Heaven? Hell? ... :dunno:

Some fail to grasp this, "But each one in his own order, Christ the first fruits, afterward those who are Christ’s at His coming." It is a large kingdom.

Like Protons and Neutrons. One is positively charged and the other does not have a charge.

Does Heaven Exist?
Some just don't call it hell.

One must remember that there is also a Devil afoot in the world. God protects who he can and the Devil steals the lives of those he can. Although the Devil isn't as powerful as God, he does a tremendous amount of damage by poisoning souls which leads to unfathomable evil and suffering. I've also believed since God is all-knowing, he sometimes takes children who might one day be taken by the Devil before they can do evil onto others. The Devil introduces evil to all of us in the form of a cheating spouse, a partner who steals from us, even a found wallet with money we could use but belongs to somebody who may need it more. I had a lost wallet returned by a stranger a few years back with every dollar and my ID and credit cards still in it. Luckily I live in a good neighborhood and what was in my wallet wasn't considered a bonanza or even needed by my Good Samaritan. Not long after that, I found a $50 bill laying on the asphalt outside of my local WalMart. I looked around to see if anybody was frantically running back out of the store or searching around, retracing their path inside. I waited for a good 20 minutes and nobody appeared looking for it. This is a tiny example of Goodness vs being selfish and greedy, but it makes the point of leading a good and honest life is more fulfilling than being a cheat, a liar, or the other deadly Sins we've all been made aware of and choose one path or the other.

• Banned

Does Heaven Exist?

Is that a trick question? I don't trust you.

I find the concept of being up in Heaven and being an angel kind of.....difficult to fathom. I fully believe in God and I remember my Mother telling me she'd still be looking after me when she was gone. So I always feel her presence when I speak to God...that assures me she lived a good enough life to be with Him. But is she in Heaven or back on earth in a new body with a new soul, yet knowing about me and thinking about me although she has no vivid memory of me in her new mind. Zen teaches us nothing is born and nothing dies; just changes form and I tend to believe that. How can so much knowledge and wisdom and funny stories be gone because our heart stopped beating? I'd prefer to believe it isn't.

Last edited:
When most atheists and theists discuss God, one thing that always stands out as an enormous problem is the existence of suffering and evil...
The question to answer is, Why do atheists see the existence of suffering and evil as an enormous problem? Also, Why is it some of us can handle suffering and evil while others cannot? Why is it that those who cannot, want someone to handle the problem for them?

The question isn't whether or not heaven exists, but whether God exists. Atheists run into a paradox here. If they look around and see suffering and evil and conclude God does not exist, then by the same reasoning they would take a look at all that is good and desirable and conclude God exists. And so chasing their tail begins.

The questions to ask are, How is God present in your life? And, How would your life be different were He not present? People who do not believe in God: How do you imagine your life would be were there a God?

When most atheists and theists discuss God, one thing that always stands out as an enormous problem is the existence of suffering and evil...
The question to answer is, Why do atheists see the existence of suffering and evil as an enormous problem? Also, Why is it some of us can handle suffering and evil while others cannot? Why is it that those who cannot, want someone to handle the problem for them?

The question isn't whether or not heaven exists, but whether God exists. Atheists run into a paradox here. If they look around and see suffering and evil and conclude God does not exist, then by the same reasoning they would take a look at all that is good and desirable and conclude God exists. And so chasing their tail begins.

The questions to ask are, How is God present in your life? And, How would your life be different were He not present? People who do not believe in God: How do you imagine your life would be were there a God?

I've always wondered why God protected me when I didn't believe in Him? My family wasn't religious or church-goers. When my sister sneered at me and told me there was no Santa Claus I felt so betrayed I never believed much of anything anybody told me after that....seriously! One thing led to another and without divulging what changed that, suddenly it became apparent I'd be dead and gone but for Divine Intervention. An inch or two either way, a delay in getting onto a freeway, a missed phone call....any or all of which could have led to my death...but it didn't. I could no longer believe in "luck" and hate that word because there is no such thing as "luck"...it's all His hand on us.

Knock it off.
What did Job say?
Job’s last words (King James):
I have heard of thee by the hearing of the ear;
but now mine eye seeth thee.
Wherefore I abhor myself, and repent in dust
and ashes.
The Tanakh / Bible aren't my books.

Good grief!! You claim to be a Rabbi.

Why can't you answer a simple question?

Do jews believe in Heaven? and Hell? ... :cool:

Knock it off.
What did Job say?
Job’s last words (King James):
I have heard of thee by the hearing of the ear;
but now mine eye seeth thee.
Wherefore I abhor myself, and repent in dust
and ashes.
The Tanakh / Bible aren't my books.

Good grief!! You claim to be a Rabbi.

Why can't you answer a simple question?

Do jews believe in Heaven? and Hell? ... :cool:

Why don't you ask me if I believe in Heaven and Hell, instead of skating around the issue?

It would be more honest.

I find the concept of being up in Heaven and being an angel kind of.....difficult to fathom. I fully believe in God and I remember my Mother telling me she'd still be looking after me when she was gone. So I always feel her presence when I speak to God...that assures me she lived a good enough life to be with Him. But is she in Heaven or back on earth in a new body with a new soul, yet knowing about me and thinking about me although she has no vivid memory of me in her new mind. Zen teaches us nothing is born and nothing dies; just changes form and I tend to believe that. How can so much knowledge and wisdom and funny stories be gone because our heart stopped beating? I'd prefer to believe it isn't.
I saw my grandpa in a night vision when I was in my thirties. He had passed before I was sixteen. It seemed odd to me because we were sitting on a white porch swing (at that time had never had a white porch swing) and he was telling me, "Everything is going to be alright". At the time I had no clue about so many attacks against us in the works, like my book keepers scheme to embezzle $27,000.00 or a pissed off resentful judge that was mad because he would not be getting a friend of mine's position when the friend retired.

I'll go with the word on a new name and with that comes a new (possibly a temp body) for the living soul that I am.

Forum List

Back