Does Heaven Exist?

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Mindful, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Mindful

Mindful Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32,564
    When most atheists and theists discuss God, one thing that always stands out as an enormous problem is the existence of suffering and evil, despite many atheists not believing in the latter. They argue: how could an all-loving, all-powerful God create such a world of perpetual misery punctuated by brief moments of joy? The short answer to that profound, emotional moral question is: Freedom of the Will and an eternal afterlife of bliss, void of any pain or suffering.

On moral evil, God gives us freedom to choose what to do rather than use us as puppets, rendering us soulless. However, with this freedom, some people unwittingly inflict suffering onto themselves, while others inflict it onto other human beings. As for natural evil (earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, tsunamis, etc), such phenomena are requirements for sustaining a stable, functioning earth, thus maintaining the survival of human creatures lucky to escape the fatal consequences of the above.

For instance, in a Godless universe, a tsunami killing thousands of people is both good and bad: bad for those unfortunate people who suffered and died, but good for the marine life which feasts on the victims who drowned. This brings us on to the subject of Heaven: does it exist and will the victims of tsunamis or other fatal misfortunes, both moral and natural, go there?

For if it does exist, then any Christian who drowned and was killed in a tsunami or any other natural disaster and is redeemed by God, will have his or her earthly sufferings curtailed while entering the bliss of eternal life in Heaven.

Does Heaven Exist?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. BasicHumanUnit

BasicHumanUnit Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,371
    It is mathematically improbable to the point of impossibility, that there wasn't some form of Divine intervention in the creation of everything.

One need only be capable of understand simple Math....and a LOT of zeroes.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Mindful

Mindful Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32,564
    [​IMG]
    The Annunciation, Henry Ossawa Tanner, 1898

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Sunni Man

Sunni Man Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,476
    Do jews believe in Heaven? Hell? ... :dunno:

5. RodISHI

RodISHI Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,638
    Some fail to grasp this, "But each one in his own order, Christ the first fruits, afterward those who are Christ’s at His coming." It is a large kingdom.

Like Protons and Neutrons. One is positively charged and the other does not have a charge.

6. RodISHI

RodISHI Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,638
    Some just don't call it hell.

7. WillPower

WillPower BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,259
    One must remember that there is also a Devil afoot in the world. God protects who he can and the Devil steals the lives of those he can. Although the Devil isn't as powerful as God, he does a tremendous amount of damage by poisoning souls which leads to unfathomable evil and suffering. I've also believed since God is all-knowing, he sometimes takes children who might one day be taken by the Devil before they can do evil onto others. The Devil introduces evil to all of us in the form of a cheating spouse, a partner who steals from us, even a found wallet with money we could use but belongs to somebody who may need it more. I had a lost wallet returned by a stranger a few years back with every dollar and my ID and credit cards still in it. Luckily I live in a good neighborhood and what was in my wallet wasn't considered a bonanza or even needed by my Good Samaritan. Not long after that, I found a $50 bill laying on the asphalt outside of my local WalMart. I looked around to see if anybody was frantically running back out of the store or searching around, retracing their path inside. I waited for a good 20 minutes and nobody appeared looking for it. This is a tiny example of Goodness vs being selfish and greedy, but it makes the point of leading a good and honest life is more fulfilling than being a cheat, a liar, or the other deadly Sins we've all been made aware of and choose one path or the other.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. Mindful

Mindful Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32,564
    Is that a trick question? I don't trust you.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Sunni Man

Sunni Man Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,476
    Simple question.

No need to make it complicated. ... :cool:

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. RodISHI

RodISHI Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,638
    I'm curious Sunni what do you think of Louis Farrakhan?