DOes christianity promote individualism?

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by ihopehefails, Feb 10, 2010.

1. ihopehefails

ihopehefails BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +228
    I wonder if christianity promotes individualism because it basically says that your spiritual existence is wrapped up with one man which means that society around you doesn't matter that much to you.

This seems to be opposite from what the hegallians believed that your spirit existed within the world which is what they termed as pantheism. This made you dependent on others for you social and spiritual existence while christianity didn't require that. It separated you from the world which made you independent of everything around it.

2. Cecilie1200

Cecilie1200 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,052
    While it is true that Christianity teaches that your salvation or damnation is entirely in your own hands, and further teaches an individual and personal relationship with God, it is not true that society, aka other people, don't matter that much. No one can send your soul to Heaven or Hell except you, but you do still have responsibilities toward other people. More to the point, if you truly love God as you should, you will also love other people as well.

3. JW Frogen

JW Frogen Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,206
    This is a very interesting question.

Dying on a cross is a very lonely place to be. Not a lot of hugs and kisses up there.

Yet we are all going to die on some sort of cross, every last one of us.

Hopefully there will be some hugs and kisses when you do.

As for me, I will die like Captain Kirk, telling some bald replacement it was fun as I swig on one last drop of the Nexus.

Oh, and fuck you Guinan!

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Luissa

Luissa Annoying Customer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,664
    nope

5. Smartt33

Smartt33 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +147
    I believe you need to read the Genesis account of Adam and Eve. There are social principles there that basically refute the idea that individualism is the Christian way. Certainly that is not even close to what Christians believe.

6. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,284
    I second that. Humans cannot exist outside of society, how we act there is the critical piece.

I picked up a book I hadn't looked at in a while and thought, it should be required reading for all - even when or if you disagree with pieces of it.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Whys-Philosophical-Scrivener-Martin-Gardner/dp/0312206828/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8]Amazon.com: The Whys of a Philosophical Scrivener (9780312206826): Martin Gardner: Books[/ame]

See pieces 'why I am not [something]?

The Whys of a Philosophical Scrivener - Google Books

7. ihopehefails

ihopehefails BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +228
    I think if you place your spirit, soul, or essence in the hands of another single person like Christ then you are taking what develops those aspects of your personality away from others and towards that thing call Christ. This was actually the debate between many Jacobians and Hegallians in Europe around 1800. Was it better to place your spiritual existence within a divine being that is not of this world or should it be shared equally with others in society.

I've been thinking about his quite a lot and think that it is better for mankind to be individualistic. It seems to lead to a better result and people being much happier but that is just my opinion. I think if someone wants to be a panthiestic thinker then so be it but do we all have to think that way?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  8. Cecilie1200

Cecilie1200 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,052
    Would you care to expound on that?

9. Cecilie1200

Cecilie1200 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,052
    I'm not sure I even understand the question they were debating from your explanation of it.

10. ihopehefails

ihopehefails BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +228
    Think of your essence or what identifies you as you. Part of your essence is superficial things like your outward appearance to the world but a large part of yourself is your soul. This is the much deeper part of you. If you believe that this spirit is defined by the reflection of one being such as God rather than the reflection of the collective conscience of man then you do not define the most basic part of yourself by the reflection of others but by your own internal being. Your soul becomes a self-reflection but a pantheistic way of thinking of this becomes a reflection with others around you. One is outward while the other is inward.