DOes christianity promote individualism?

If I recall correctly, He actually said that to one guy, not necessarily as a universal mandate to everyone. That particular guy was very hung up on material things, such that they were more important to him than following Christ, as evidenced by the way that he chose them in the end. It would be utterly ridiculous to think that Christ expected EVERYONE to live as itinerant missionaries, insofar as nothing would ever get accomplished, including the basics of survival like feeding and clothing one's family.

Even if Jesus said "go commie" does that mean the state can force us to "be commie" since we live in a free society?

With respect to God we may not have a choice but with respect to others and the state we do since we can choose our own non-christian religion that tells us to spit, screw hookers, and hog all the money that we can get our hands on.

Personally I like "what is the profit of man if he were to gain the entire world yet lose his mortal soul". It makes you realize that goodness is more important than wealth.

I'm going to find a hooker...

Even with respect to God, we have a choice, because God did not give us free will only to force us to accept Him and His will. And if God refrains from forcing us to be good and righteous, how can He possibly want other men to force it upon us, especially when they can only force on us their own small, flawed, human opinion of what is righteous?

Interesting point.

How is threatening you with hellfire not forcing you?

☭proletarian☭;2009676 said:

The fact that so many people choose against Him, anyway.

And by the way, warning you of the inevitable consequences of something is not a threat. If I stop you on the road and say, "Don't keep driving that direction. The bridge is washed out, and you'll end up dead in the ravine," have I threatened you, or simply tried to warn you and keep you from doing something that will hurt you?

So the fact that people refused to get on the train and just got shot instead meant they weren't forced into the concentration camps? That a woman could have refused to obey the man with a gun to her head means she wasn't forced?

And by the way, warning you of the inevitable consequences of something is not a threat. If I stop you on the road and say, "Don't keep driving that direction. The bridge is washed out, and you'll end up dead in the ravine," have I threatened you, or simply tried to warn you and keep you from doing something that will hurt you?

If you say you're going to blow up the bridge and send me into the ravine, it's a threat. God doesn't warn you of anything. He threatens action. Hell will exist because God will create it. You don't end up i the lake of fire or the oouter darkness because you walked into it after it was there, but because God makes it and puts you there.

Either worship at his feet (quite literally for the 'lucky' 144,000) or be set on fire.

What do you call a king who threatens to burn people alive (or eternally) if they don't fall to their feet, commit genocide when ordered, mutilate their children's genitals because he wants them to, and obey his every command no matter how immoral it might be, if not an evil tyrant?

☭proletarian☭;2014443 said:

So the fact that people refused to get on the train and just got shot instead meant they weren't forced into the concentration camps? That a woman could have refused to obey the man with a gun to her head means she wasn't forced?

Faulty analogy. God isn't shooting anyone, or threatening to shoot anyone. The fact that the consequences of a choice in one direction are bad does not mean one is being "forced" to choose in the direction of good consequences. It is rather more like one can choose to shoot heroin or not, and just because the consequences of choosing to do so include poverty, degradation, and death does not mean one is being "forced" to choose not to shoot smack.

If you say you're going to blow up the bridge and send me into the ravine, it's a threat. God doesn't warn you of anything. He threatens action. Hell will exist because God will create it. You don't end up i the lake of fire or the oouter darkness because you walked into it after it was there, but because God makes it and puts you there.

Again, God is not threatening to do anything to you. He is simply warning you that you will do something bad to yourself if you choose that particular path.

Either worship at his feet (quite literally for the 'lucky' 144,000) or be set on fire.

Are you familiar with the phrase "Perception is not necessarily reality"?

What do you call a king who threatens to burn people alive (or eternally) if they don't fall to their feet, commit genocide when ordered, mutilate their children's genitals because he wants them to, and obey his every command no matter how immoral it might be, if not an evil tyrant?

Doesn't matter what I would call him, since it has nothing whatsoever to do with the topic at hand.

I'm really quite disappointed in you. I expect much more rational, dispassionate argument from you, and this projective, emotional bigotry-fest falls quite short of my regard for you.

Faulty analogy. God isn't shooting anyone, or threatening to shoot anyone.

Nope. Just setting them on fire for refusing to kill babies.

17Whose fan is in his hand, and he will throughly purge his floor, and will gather the wheat into his garner; but the chaff he will burn with fire unquenchable.

"But the beast was captured, and with him the false prophet who had performed the miraculous signs on his behalf. With these signs he had deluded those who had received the mark of the beast and worshiped his image. The two of them were thrown alive into the fiery lake of burning sulfur."

tormented in this flame...

danger of hell fire...
The fact that the consequences of a choice in one direction are bad does not mean one is being "forced" to choose in the direction of good consequences

So the fact that a woman not giving the man with a gun a blowjob results in her being beaten, raped, and shot seven times in the gut somehow means she's not being forced into a sexual act? :eusa_eh:
. It is rather more like one can choose to shoot heroin or not, and just because the consequences of choosing to do so include poverty, degradation, and death does not mean one is being "forced" to choose not to shoot smack.

Fail.

In one scenario, you're told to do it or else.

In another, you decided to use a drug.

If I tell pour gasoline on a man and tell him I'll light him on fire if he doesn't shoot up, I've forced him to shoot up.

Again, God is not threatening to do anything to you

You need to read your bible.
. He is simply warning you that you will do something bad to yourself if you choose that particular path.

Right... and Stalin was just warning people that they would experience bad things if he didn't go along with his plans. :rolleyes:

Doesn't matter what I would call him, since it has nothing whatsoever to do with the topic at hand.

Right... except that your religion specifically posits and worships exactly that sort of totalitarian tyrant.
I'm really quite disappointed in you. I expect much more rational, dispassionate argument from you, and this projective, emotional

They're your arguments. It's not my fault they're failing miserably.

You praise a tyrant who kills babies and threatens to burn forever anyone who objects.

How is making it known that there is a "Hell fire" a threat?

If you were in your home, does the smoke alarm need to be removed because it may threaten you with a fire?

If I told you that the company you work for is about to shut down, am I threatening you wioth your job?

No, Christians make no threats, they just tell you what they believe is out there.

How is making it known that there is a "Hell fire" a threat?

If you were in your home, does the smoke alarm need to be removed because it may threaten you with a fire?

Telling me my house is on fire and setting my house on fire are two different things.

God is credited with both the creation of hell and the sending of souls to hell (every single person who stands before the Father on the day of Judgment goes either to the like of fire or the Outer Darkness, depending on which passages you're reading at the time). That's not warning me about a fire- that's setting my house on fire because I refused to kill babies.
If I told you that the company you work for is about to shut down, am I threatening you wioth your job?

If I tell you I'm going to show up in your house and rape you if you don't buy me a sandwich, am I threatening you or just waring you that you're going to get raped?

No, Christians make no threats,

Do you really need a few videos of hellfire preachers?

they just tell you what they believe is out there.

Then they're idiots, because the lake of fire (oft compared to Gehenna) hasn't been created yet. The dead still reside in 'hades', with a deep chasm keeping those damned to the Second Death from those who are in Abraham's Bosom. The lake of fire comes into play after the Judgment.

How sad that you people don't even know what your own holy book says.

DOes christianity promote individualism?

Mysticism doesn't even promote "common sense".

Seems to me that Christianity has two aspects.

First there's the whole love thy neighbor as thyself aspect of it.

That seems to SCREAM to us that we put aside our egocentric childishness.

Then, if you happen to be of the PROT persuasion, at least, there's the whole sissue of each of us finding salvation though our own relationship to GOD.

That seems to run counter to to social nature that Love thy neighbor seems to be telling us.

So all in all, I'd say this question doesn't have an answer, really.

I wonder if christianity promotes individualism because it basically says that your spiritual existence is wrapped up with one man which means that society around you doesn't matter that much to you.

This seems to be opposite from what the hegallians believed that your spirit existed within the world which is what they termed as pantheism. This made you dependent on others for you social and spiritual existence while christianity didn't require that. It separated you from the world which made you independent of everything around it.

We each have our own Talents...those are encouraged in the Bible....

We each have Free will....according to the Bible....

This is promotion of individualism...

Yet taking care of the least among you is also in the Bible...

I wonder if christianity promotes individualism because it basically says that your spiritual existence is wrapped up with one man which means that society around you doesn't matter that much to you.

This seems to be opposite from what the hegallians believed that your spirit existed within the world which is what they termed as pantheism. This made you dependent on others for you social and spiritual existence while christianity didn't require that. It separated you from the world which made you independent of everything around it.

but watch out if you exercise that free will, you will no longer be a Christian.

but watch out if you exercise that free will, you will no longer be a Christian.

only, if you were reared by strict fundamentalists, as you were, if memory serves? ;)

Then, if you happen to be of the PROT persuasion, at least, there's the whole sissue of each of us finding salvation though our own relationship to GOD.

That seems to run counter to to social nature that Love thy neighbor seems to be telling us.

So, if I'm understanding you correctly, you're saying that one cannot love their neighbor and find salvation through their own relationship with God at the same time? Why is that?

So Hegallian...

Forum List

Back