Does anyone remember "Operation Wetback[sic]?

nat4900

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2015
I disagree both with the term "wetback" and the methodology employed during the Eisenhower administration. I offer this synopsis only as informative background on how the issue of illegal immigration was once addressed, and the fact that the issue is far from new.

On June 17, 1954, began what was then called "Operation Wetback" . Because political resistance was lower in California and Arizona, the roundup of aliens began there. Some 750 agents swept northward through agricultural areas with a goal of 1,000 apprehensions a day. By the end of July, over 50,000 aliens were caught in the two states. Another 488,000, fearing arrest, had fled the country.

By mid-July, the crackdown extended northward into Utah, Nevada, and Idaho, and eastward to Texas. By September, 80,000 had been taken into custody in Texas, and an estimated 500,000 to 700,000 illegals had left the Lone Star State voluntarily.

Unlike today, Mexicans caught in the roundup were not simply released at the border, where they could easily reenter the US. To discourage their return, Swing arranged for buses and trains to take many aliens deep within Mexico before being set free.

Tens of thousands more were put aboard two hired ships....and the ships ferried the aliens from Port Isabel, Texas, to Vera Cruz, Mexico, more than 500 miles south.

The sea voyage was "a rough trip, and they did not like it," says Don Coppock, who worked his way up from Border Patrolman in 1941 to eventually head the Border Patrol from 1960 to 1973.

There are now said to be 12 million to 20 million illegal aliens in the US. Of the Mexicans who live here, an estimated 85 percent are here illegally.

Border Patrol vets of that 1950-era offer tips on curbing illegal immigration

1. End the current practice of taking captured Mexican aliens to the border and releasing them. Instead, deport them deep into Mexico, where return to the US would be more costly.

2. Crack down hard on employers who hire illegals. Without jobs, the aliens won't come.

3. End "catch and release" for non-Mexican aliens. It is common for illegal migrants not from Mexico to be set free after their arrest if they promise to appear later before a judge. Few showed up.

The Patrol veterans say enforcement could also be aided by a legalized guest- worker program that permits Mexicans to register in their country for temporary jobs in the US. Eisenhower's team ran such a program. It permitted up to 400,000 Mexicans a year to enter the US for various agriculture jobs that lasted for 12 to 52 weeks.

I think most of us who want to close the border and deport these 3rd world peasants know about operation wetback.

A good start but we want them ALL (illegals) out...women, children, blind, crippled or crazy..OUT!

By the end of July, over 50,000 aliens were caught in the two states.
Gee, the U.S. Government obeyed its own laws??? Imagine that!

Another 488,000, fearing arrest, had fled the country.
and an estimated 500,000 to 700,000 illegals had left the Lone Star State voluntarily.
In other words the operation was an unqualified success.

The sea voyage was "a rough trip, and they did not like it,"
Maybe they shouldn't have broken U.S. law.

Funny, the more things change the more they stay the same

WTC+anti+Irish+grafitti+th.jpg

photo_slideshow_max.jpg

and an estimated 500,000 to 700,000 illegals had left the Lone Star State voluntarily.

Yes, it does sound like it was a success. Why they ended it is beyond me. I say we do it again, except have enough patrol agents from ICE to go into every state on the mainland at once. The chance of self deportation is great.

Yes, it does sound like it was a success. Why they ended it is beyond me. I say we do it again, except have enough patrol agents from ICE to go into every state on the mainland at once. The chance of self deportation is great.

Agreed, but it will need a new, politically correct, name.

Operation Bean Picker?
Operation Dreamer?
Operation Bad Dreamer?
Operation Nightmare for Dreamers?

Agreed, but it will need a new, politically correct, name.

Operation Bean Picker?
Operation Dreamer?
Operation Bad Dreamer?
Operation Nightmare for Dreamers?

Unless the new president is Trump. Then Operation Wetback II will be in full operation. LOL

Not that the nutters care but the Mexicans were here first.

In any event, read up on the Braceros program.

Fact is, the US has always needed migrant labor and we've always treated them like shit. At one time, we sent planes to fly them here and then flew them home until the next season. Now, big employers advertise for them in Mexico.

All the talk about "closing or securing" the border is just that. We continue to invite them here and we always will.

Again, I posted the O/P not to have right wingers cheer and long for the old days, but as a reminder that a wall (especially one with Trump's name and flashing lights) is NOT needed.
You may notice that very, very little is mentioned by GOP candidates regarding heavy fines and/or imprisonment for those employers who exploit cheap labor.

Again, I posted the O/P not to have right wingers cheer and long for the old days, but as a reminder that a wall (especially one with Trump's name and flashing lights) is NOT needed.
You may notice that very, very little is mentioned by GOP candidates regarding heavy fines and/or imprisonment for those employers who exploit cheap labor.

That's nice.

Build a wall. Enforce it. Deport ALL illegals.

The nonsense about a "beautiful wall" built by illegals and paid for by Mexico is just hot air. Its not just that its not needed. Its not practical and wouldn't work.

Look at Chapos' tunnel. The only reason they "found" it was that he wanted them to.

Wall or tunnels, doesn't matter because we will continue to invite them here. RWs will go right on being ignorant about the issue and they'll go right on bitching about it. Trump won't build a wall but the dummies will vote for him because they like to hear him say "Trust me because I'm very rich".

Trump won't build a wall but the dummies will vote for him because they like to hear him say "Trust me because I'm very rich".

...and don't forget that Trump likes to say that he's not only rich, and that only very smart people go to his alma mater, but he's "beautiful" also..LOL

Trump won't build a wall but the dummies will vote for him because they like to hear him say "Trust me because I'm very rich".

...and don't forget that Trump likes to say that he's not only rich, and that only very smart people go to his alma mater, but he's "beautiful" also..LOL

well..that does it....he can't be president with those flaws...LMAO...you guys are growing so desperate....too funny...

Forum List

Back