Does anyone have any experience with a flat top griddle

I've been curious about using a griddle for quite some time and found this...

Seriously considering the stainless model.

Keep them clean and oiled, like cast iron skillets..I was a line cook at Denny's in early 1980..

I know that part.
Just checking to see if there are any tips or tricks on it's use.
Going to have to get some of those covers for melting cheese and to cover stuff for faster cooking for sure.

Lightly oil it, wipe it off with paper towels, heat up, let cool, clean off with dry paper towel. Repeat that a few times to get the machine oil out of it and then start using it. Did you get a charcoal bar (not sure exactly what they are called but pick one up at a restaurant supply house) to clean it up?

I have used ice on the grill to clean it after use also..

That would work also. It will all depend on cooking style as each has their own way.

I've spent bundles trying to find one I liked. Went with a cast iron skillet. I am partial, what can I say. Think it dates back to my grandmothers and how great everything tasted from hers.
I like the cast personally. Stainless it depends on if it is a good grade or not.Some stainless ware is better than the rest.

As far as basic pans go I prefer De Buyer.
They take a seasoning very well.
And I've found a brief sandblasting before seasoning to be really beneficial.

It's because cast iron absorbs the heat and distributes it more evenly all over the pan than any other metal can. If you're using it on a stove or gas grill, it will still have some unevenness, though, I've found.

I've spent bundles trying to find one I liked. Went with a cast iron skillet. I am partial, what can I say. Think it dates back to my grandmothers and how great everything tasted from hers.
I like the cast personally. Stainless it depends on if it is a good grade or not.Some stainless ware is better than the rest.

It's because cast iron absorbs the heat and distributes it more evenly all over the pan than any other metal can. If you're using it on a stove or gas grill, it will still have some unevenness, though, I've found.

The thicker the metal generally the more evenly the heat will disperse. The old copper bottoms or copper in the bottoms of the older pans also distribute heat more evenly. Cast distributes the heat overall better. That is why cast iron skillets are the best for cooking things like the Pineapple upside down cakes.

Yep, one of my favorites my grandmother made it hers! I had honestly forgotten that is what she used. I need to try one in mine now.

The thicker the metal generally the more evenly the heat will disperse. The old copper bottoms or copper in the bottoms of the older pans also distribute heat more evenly. Cast distributes the heat overall better. That is why cast iron skillets are the best for cooking things like the Pineapple upside down cakes.

I've been curious about using a griddle for quite some time and found this...

Seriously considering the stainless model.

Keep them clean and oiled, like cast iron skillets..I was a line cook at Denny's in early 1980..

I know that part.
Just checking to see if there are any tips or tricks on it's use.
Going to have to get some of those covers for melting cheese and to cover stuff for faster cooking for sure.

Lightly oil it, wipe it off with paper towels, heat up, let cool, clean off with dry paper towel. Repeat that a few times to get the machine oil out of it and then start using it. Did you get a charcoal bar (not sure exactly what they are called but pick one up at a restaurant supply house) to clean it up?

Griddle brick.
upload_2017-5-17_9-45-7.png

ooooo, I want one too. I don't have experience with one though.

I'm not sure I understand what you're wanting to know about using it????

Having never cooked on one I figured we might have an ex line cook I could ask for tips.

You telling me to butt out because I'm not a line cook??? :meow: Well, tough titties to you too, so there. :funnyface:

Anyway, I was going to say previous was that to look at it as if it's just a frypan on the stove only bigger & without the edges to confine the food and do as you would in a regular frypan but make adjustments as needed.
Look under the unit or griddle top to determine the layout of how the heat is distributed from the knob(s).....does it go in circles? in a square or rectangle? I'm guessing this is a propane unit so it's fed by direct fire (not a heating element with electric). Does it have temperature control? Or just on & off?

Where the heat source is, is always hotter & I would guess somewhere in the middle, depending on how many heat sources available. That is for fast & hot, and nearer the edge is cooler for slower cooking or keeping food warm or melting cheese. If you're doing thick burgers or steaks, first put them in directly over the heat to sear them both sides...then set them off to the side in a cooler area & cover, to cook them inside while cooking something else.
No slow roast or long term cooking allowed.......usually what can be cooked in less than 15-30 minutes.

As for care & maintenance......just like your frypans & cast iron........never use soap, scrap any stuckies & keep it well oiled.

Sooooo, when's the party at your house??? :party:

Having never cooked on one I figured we might have an ex line cook I could ask for tips.

You telling me to butt out because I'm not a line cook??? :meow: Well, tough titties to you too, so there. :funnyface:

Anyway, I was going to say previous was that to look at it as if it's just a frypan on the stove only bigger & without the edges to confine the food and do as you would in a regular frypan but make adjustments as needed.
Look under the unit or griddle top to determine the layout of how the heat is distributed from the knob(s).....does it go in circles? in a square or rectangle? I'm guessing this is a propane unit so it's fed by direct fire (not a heating element with electric). Does it have temperature control? Or just on & off?

Where the heat source is, is always hotter & I would guess somewhere in the middle, depending on how many heat sources available. That is for fast & hot, and nearer the edge is cooler for slower cooking or keeping food warm or melting cheese. If you're doing thick burgers or steaks, first put them in directly over the heat to sear them both sides...then set them off to the side in a cooler area & cover, to cook them inside while cooking something else.
No slow roast or long term cooking allowed.......usually what can be cooked in less than 15-30 minutes.

As for care & maintenance......just like your frypans & cast iron........never use soap, scrap any stuckies & keep it well oiled.

While it is like a giant fry pan in a way,this giant fry pan has 4 temp zones that are adjustable.
I like the idea of being able to cook everything at once so it all comes out hot which is sometimes problematic on the stove top.

While it is like a giant fry pan in a way,this giant fry pan has 4 temp zones that are adjustable.
I like the idea of being able to cook everything at once so it all comes out hot which is sometimes problematic on the stove top.

So if it has 4 temp zones, then it is similar to any stove top with separate burners.....except the heat does radiate thru the whole top......yes???

So if it has 4 temp zones, then it is similar to any stove top with separate burners.....except the heat does radiate thru the whole top......yes???

It's about area to work with.
Lets see you make six pancakes,a half a dozen eggs,a lb. of bacon and Texas toast in one pan.
Normally I'd have to take out my electric griddle,my electric skillet and the square aluminum flat to make the toast,and I'd have to make multiple batches,which of course means the first ones get cold..
Add the fact that the bacon is now sitting on the side getting cold unless I fire up the oven and it leads to a major pain in the ass.

And at the end of breakfast I have one pan to clean instead of three pans and a bake tray.

The idea that I'll have enough room to turn out everything at once with little clean up appeals to me.

Lets see you make six pancakes,a half a dozen eggs,a lb. of bacon and Texas toast in one pan.
Normally I'd have to take out my electric griddle,my electric skillet and the square aluminum flat to make the toast,and I'd have to make multiple batches,which of course means the first ones get cold..
Add the fact that the bacon is now sitting on the side getting cold unless I fire up the oven and it leads to a major pain in the ass.

And at the end of breakfast I have one pan to clean instead of three pans and a bake tray.

The idea that I'll have enough room to turn out everything at once with little clean up appeals to me.

you can fry up all kinds of things all at once on a big one

Ordered this little gem today.....
36x20 = 720 inches of cooking space.
upload_2017-5-17_20-12-57.png

View attachment 127170

i think you will love it

keep it clean and well oiled

View attachment 127170

i think you will love it

keep it clean and well oiled

I'm a fanatic about my steel and cast iron cookware,this wont be any different.
Although it's going to be an extra challenge since it'll be on the back porch and Houston is known for its humidity.
I'll be seasoning the top as well as the sides and bottom.

Yes, I understand all that. My comment was for comparison......that you'd have the whole stove top area to cook on but without separate pans. The 4 temp zones would be similar to the burners, but the heat from them would radiate out, thereby heating the whole surface & some areas are hotter than others but you use all of it.

The unit you ordered looks like a great choice for what you want it for :thup:

Yes, I understand all that. My comment was for comparison......that you'd have the whole stove top area to cook on but without separate pans. The 4 temp zones would be similar to the burners, but the heat from them would radiate out, thereby heating the whole surface & some areas are hotter than others but you use all of it.

Thermal transfer only goes so far.
The zones should be easily manageable as long as you dont put the hot zone right next to the the cool.

The zones should be easily manageable as long as you dont put the hot zone right next to the the cool.

I still want one.....and would have a blast just experimenting with it to find out all the idiosyncrasies of it. My best learning tool....trial & error.

You do know I fully expect you to post a video of you cooking a meal on it within say a week of getting it???

I still want one.....and would have a blast just experimenting with it to find out all the idiosyncrasies of it. My best learning tool....trial & error.

You do know I fully expect you to post a video of you cooking a meal on it within say a week of getting it???

I absolutely look forward to making it work.
I'm a big fan of testing different cooking methods. My favorite at the moment is Sous Vide.
Come Tuesday I figure griddle cooking will occupy my time for awhile.

Forum List

Back