Doctors versus the NRA

DaGoose

Gold Member
Nov 16, 2010
Illinois
Unfortunately the Doctors will lose out to those who want no limits on packing their "shootin' irons" on their hips to show how "manly" they are.

“These guns, these bullets blew open these children’s heads, their bodies, their limbs,” Auerbach wrote. “In what kind of society do we live, whereby these weapons are needed to defend and protect?”

An estimated 20,600 people under the age of 25 are injured by a gun every year and 6,570 die, according to the AAP. Guns kill twice as many in this age group as cancer, five times as many as heart disease and 20 times as many as infections. By 2015, guns are expected to surpass motor vehicle crashes as a cause of death for young people....

Doctors Fight the NRA Over Gun Safety

Unfortunately the Doctors will lose out to those who want no limits on packing their "shootin' irons" on their hips to show how "manly" they are.

“These guns, these bullets blew open these children’s heads, their bodies, their limbs,” Auerbach wrote. “In what kind of society do we live, whereby these weapons are needed to defend and protect?”

An estimated 20,600 people under the age of 25 are injured by a gun every year and 6,570 die, according to the AAP. Guns kill twice as many in this age group as cancer, five times as many as heart disease and 20 times as many as infections. By 2015, guns are expected to surpass motor vehicle crashes as a cause of death for young people....

Geezus, some people still believe this crap? Most of those deaths are gang bangers shooting each other. I dont see the problem with that.
Many more children drown in private swimming pools than are killed with guns.
Many more people are injured or killed on ladders than are killed with guns.
Address those issues and then maybe we'll talk.

The AAP is not the only medical group in the United States pushing this agenda. The American Medical Association (AMA), which I believe is the largest group of practicing doctors in the country is also pushing an anti-gun agenda.

I know of at least a dozen families or individuals (myself included) who have chosen to change doctors because of these issues.

In my case, it happened in August of 2001 after requesting that a lead level test be done on my blood during a routine physical. After the doctor asked why, I told him that I shoot on an indoor range quite often and that some of the other shooters at the club had shown high lead levels in their blood. Rather than just accepting the request, the doctor proceeded to go on a 10 minute rant about how unsafe firearms ownership is. At the end of his rant I told him I didn't need the test. He asked why. I told him.... "Beacuse this visit is over. Please have your staff pull my files and have them ready for me when I leave, as I will not be returning to this office ever again."

There's an old saying in business.... "A happy customer tells a friend. An unhappy customer tells the world." It's just as applicable to medical patients. I've gone out of my way to tell every gun owner I know that they should not be seeing this doctor or anyone at his office.

The majority of doctors do not belong to the AMA. This is blatant anti gun propaganda. Doctors don't care whether you have a gun in the house or rat poison in the garage.

Out of all those deaths how many were actually children? How many were unintentional deaths? How many were suicides? How many died by legal intervention?

Doctors don't care whether you have a gun in the house or rat poison in the garage.

Apparently some of them care enough that I can give you at least a dozen cases that I am directly familiar with where pediatricians or primary care physicians have included questions about gun ownership in their yearly physicals. In one particular case, the question was asked of a 10 year old during the same part of his exam where the doctor asked if anyone had touched them improperly and things like that. The practice lost an entire family worth of patients because of the question.

The AAP is not the only medical group in the United States pushing this agenda. The American Medical Association (AMA), which I believe is the largest group of practicing doctors in the country is also pushing an anti-gun agenda.

I know of at least a dozen families or individuals (myself included) who have chosen to change doctors because of these issues.

In my case, it happened in August of 2001 after requesting that a lead level test be done on my blood during a routine physical. After the doctor asked why, I told him that I shoot on an indoor range quite often and that some of the other shooters at the club had shown high lead levels in their blood. Rather than just accepting the request, the doctor proceeded to go on a 10 minute rant about how unsafe firearms ownership is. At the end of his rant I told him I didn't need the test. He asked why. I told him.... "Beacuse this visit is over. Please have your staff pull my files and have them ready for me when I leave, as I will not be returning to this office ever again."

There's an old saying in business.... "A happy customer tells a friend. An unhappy customer tells the world." It's just as applicable to medical patients. I've gone out of my way to tell every gun owner I know that they should not be seeing this doctor or anyone at his office.

My wife's orthopedist commented on her GOAL hat a few years ago. Seems he's a benchrest rifle shooter. :)

Why is it they never break these numbers down? What are they trying to hide, maybe the fact that most of these happen in inner-cities where crime is exceptionally high?

Why is it they never break these numbers down? What are they trying to hide, maybe the fact that most of these happen in inner-cities where crime is exceptionally high?

Because statistical analysis is supposed to support the lunatic message that they are trying to use it for.

If those numbers were explained then the message would suffer. Truth takes a back seat to ideology whenever these action groups are involved.

The bottom line is that your right to own a firearm is protected. The constitution and the SCOTUS have defended that right. The gig is up on the anti-gun crowd.

Gun control is lousy politics outside of a few kook states like New Jersey. The Dems couldn't get any national legislation passed, despite the biggest effort I've seen in years. All they did was enrich some gun makers.

In what kind of society do we live......

Easy we live in a society that contains violent people from whom the government cannot protect us so we must be willing to protect ourselves.

If you want to be defenseless in our violent society then that is your choice isn't it?

The AMA is the political organization of doctors in this country. Most doctors, and I know over a hundred (about a dozen closely) dont give a crap about the AMA.

Back when the AMA supported Obamacare, the majority of them disagreed. My point is that it's the AMA vs the NRA and not doctors.

In addition, most doctors are smart enough to know it isn't the guns that are doing it.

Interesting that this group of pediatricians have to use statistics that feature "children" up to the age of 25 to inflate the number of casualties due to gun violence.

:lol:

“The fact is, no one does more to promote gun safety, education, and training than the National Rifle Association,” Mortensen says. “And if these pediatricians want to help us promote that message, we would welcome their membership in the NRA. Dues are 25 dollars a year.”

Doctors don't care whether you have a gun in the house or rat poison in the garage.

Apparently some of them care enough that I can give you at least a dozen cases that I am directly familiar with where pediatricians or primary care physicians have included questions about gun ownership in their yearly physicals. In one particular case, the question was asked of a 10 year old during the same part of his exam where the doctor asked if anyone had touched them improperly and things like that. The practice lost an entire family worth of patients because of the question.

If a doctor asks, is it because they are concerned or because obama wants them to ask?

Obama Asks Doctors to Help Deal With Guns | The Weekly Standard

Doctors kill more people per year than all the gun deaths (both legal and illegal) combined per year. And whereas there are over 300,000,000 guns that kill 30,000 per year, there are only around 800,000 doctors and according to the AMA they kill 120,000 per year, so according to the AMA (that's the American Medical Association) you are far more likely to be killed by a doctor than a gun.

:thup:

Doctors kill more people per year than all the gun deaths (both legal and illegal) combined per year. And whereas there are over 300,000,000 guns that kill 30,000 per year, there are only around 800,000 doctors and according to the AMA they kill 120,000 per year, so according to the AMA (that's the American Medical Association) you are far more likely to be killed by a doctor than a gun.

Compared to how many lives they save, though. :eusa_think: Most reputable physicians won't even belong to the AMA. Very small percentage...Very.
---------------

The decades-long membership decline at the American Medical Association (AMA) shows no signs of slowing, which has some doctors worried that the national voice of their profession may one day fall silent.

Read why: http://www.cmaj.ca/content/183/11/E713.full

Indeed, this is a serious issue that needs to be addressed with actual, viable solutions applied to the problem.

And just as is the case with unwanted pregnancies, where ‘banning’ abortion is no ‘solution,’ so too is seeking more ‘restrictions’ and ‘bans’ on firearms no ‘solution.’

In addition to the questionable constitutionality of many proposed gun restrictions and regulations, such measures will simply not have the desired effect of saving lives – further restrictions treat only the symptoms of gun violence, not the cause.

Forum List

Back