Do YOU Trust the Government?

Do You Trust The Government?

• Total voters
This ought to be interesting... do you now and in foreseeable future trust the government to always do the right thing, always be working for the people, and never get too large or out of control, to never be considered oppressive and/or tyrannical?

The answers will be simple, yes, no or undecided.

Funny that the most untrustworthy person on the site would start this thread.

Not funny how the first thing you say in the thread is some dumbass bull shit.

Didn't expect anything else from you though, pud pounder, get a life.

I'll take "Things untrustworthy lying welchers say for $100"

plutocracy is the form of government we live under. As long as we spend our time worrying about the little shit, the plutocrats will take care of themselves with the good parts. And we will end up with the hind tit.

Even if you first go to Congress not a millioniare, if you can hang in there a couple terms, you will certinately leave as a millioniare. Or a multi millioniare.

And do I trust a Plutocrat? Hell no. Well, trust them to try and fuk regular people, yea. See that every day.

I trust 'government' about as much as I trust 'people'. Which is to say, "mostly". But rarely completely or blindly.

It seems like a lot of people (on both sides of limited-government debate) want to cast the argument as pro/anti government or an issue of trust vs distrust. But that's never seemed quite right to me. The question of the proper role of government, of which powers government should, or should not, have has nothing to do with trust. It has everything to do with protecting freedom, with maintaining a society where we can hope to live our lives free of coercion from bullies. If government isn't powerful enough, it can't protect us. If it's too powerful it becomes the bully, or the tool of the bullies.

What idiot would say yes to that?

Even the crafters of our Constitution didn't trust government or they wouldn't have built in checks and balances, the 3 branches of government and an independent court system to keep it in line.

Obviously they also didn't feel the checks and balances would be enough, hence the Second Amendment.

Thank you. You helped make that point.

Sorry, I didn't realize this was another Nutter, 2nd Amendment, revolutionary uprising thread or I wouldn't have said anything. The last thing I want to do is encourage the simpletons to take up arms against our freely and Constitutionally elected government because they don't like the results of our last election.

On second thought...yes I DO want to encourage all you sore losers to arm yourselves and rise up against the rest of us! You'll be so horrendously out-numbered, out-gunned, out-generaled, out-thought and out-fought that we'll finally put an end to your fantasies and leave them lying in the ditch alongside your stupid dead bodies.

Get on with it!:mad:

So you want people who disagree with your interpretation of the constitution massacred....

Excellent.

This ought to be interesting... do you now and in foreseeable future trust the government to always do the right thing, always be working for the people, and never get too large or out of control, to never be considered oppressive and/or tyrannical?

Typical hyper-partisan hack. There is no in between. The world is either black or white.
Someone who doesn't trust their intellectual capacity to navigate the grey, WISHES everything could be all black or all white.

I ultimately trust the government of the United States of America because I ultimately trust the People of the United States of America. And here, we get what we demand - eventually. I also can say with 100% certainty that we WILL screw up. People are not perfect and so any institution formed and administered by people will screw up.

No.

I do not trust the Republican House, the Democratic Senate, or the Democrat in the White House.

No, no, and no.

They are all from the same fiscally liberal, spineless, totalitarian mold.

Thankfully, our Founders ensured we have a free press to act as the last ditch watchdog against tyranny.

Unfortunately, the prevailing press is populated with piss pourers programming their partisan patrons with Pavlovian responses to politicians' names.

In America there is scarcely a hamlet that has not its newspaper. It may readily be imagined that neither discipline nor unity of action can be established among so many combatants, and each one consequently fights under his own standard. All the political journals of the United States are, indeed, arrayed on the side of the administration or against it; but they attack and defend it in a thousand different ways. They cannot form those great currents of opinion which sweep away the strongest dikes. This division of the influence of the press produces other consequences scarcely less remarkable. The facility with which newspapers can be established produces a multitude of them; but as the competition prevents any considerable profit, persons of much capacity are rarely led to engage in these undertakings. Such is the number of the public prints that even if they were a source of wealth, writers of ability could not be found to direct them all. The journalists of the United States are generally in a very humble position, with a scanty education and a vulgar turn of mind. The will of the majority is the most general of laws, and it establishes certain habits to which everyone must then conform; the aggregate of these common habits is what is called the class spirit (esprit de corps) of each profession; thus there is the class spirit of the bar, of the court, etc. The class spirit of the French journalists consists in a violent but frequently an eloquent and lofty manner of discussing the great interests of the state, and the exceptions to this mode of writing are only occasional. The characteristics of the American journalist consist in an open and coarse appeal to the passions of his readers; he abandons principles to assail the characters of individuals, to track them into private life and disclose all their weaknesses and vices.
Tocqueville: Book 1 Chapter 11

No.

I do not trust the Republican House, the Democratic Senate, or the Democrat in the White House.

No, no, and no.

Thankfully, our Founders ensured we have a free press to act as the last ditch watchdog against tyranny.

Unfortunately, the prevailing press is populated with piss pourers programming their partisan patrons with Pavlovian responses to politicians' names.

In America there is scarcely a hamlet that has not its newspaper. It may readily be imagined that neither discipline nor unity of action can be established among so many combatants, and each one consequently fights under his own standard. All the political journals of the United States are, indeed, arrayed on the side of the administration or against it; but they attack and defend it in a thousand different ways. They cannot form those great currents of opinion which sweep away the strongest dikes. This division of the influence of the press produces other consequences scarcely less remarkable. The facility with which newspapers can be established produces a multitude of them; but as the competition prevents any considerable profit, persons of much capacity are rarely led to engage in these undertakings. Such is the number of the public prints that even if they were a source of wealth, writers of ability could not be found to direct them all. The journalists of the United States are generally in a very humble position, with a scanty education and a vulgar turn of mind. The will of the majority is the most general of laws, and it establishes certain habits to which everyone must then conform; the aggregate of these common habits is what is called the class spirit (esprit de corps) of each profession; thus there is the class spirit of the bar, of the court, etc. The class spirit of the French journalists consists in a violent but frequently an eloquent and lofty manner of discussing the great interests of the state, and the exceptions to this mode of writing are only occasional. The characteristics of the American journalist consist in an open and coarse appeal to the passions of his readers; he abandons principles to assail the characters of individuals, to track them into private life and disclose all their weaknesses and vices.

And how long will that last?

Not in the least, they lost my trust a long time ago.
I doubt they can ever gain my trust again no matter who is in office.

Obviously they also didn't feel the checks and balances would be enough, hence the Second Amendment.

Thank you. You helped make that point.

Sorry, I didn't realize this was another Nutter, 2nd Amendment, revolutionary uprising thread or I wouldn't have said anything. The last thing I want to do is encourage the simpletons to take up arms against our freely and Constitutionally elected government because they don't like the results of our last election.

On second thought...yes I DO want to encourage all you sore losers to arm yourselves and rise up against the rest of us! You'll be so horrendously out-numbered, out-gunned, out-generaled, out-thought and out-fought that we'll finally put an end to your fantasies and leave them lying in the ditch alongside your stupid dead bodies.

So you want people who disagree with your interpretation of the constitution massacred....

Excellent.

No. I want the morons who will not accept the Will of The People as expressed in November to put up or shut up. I'm sick of hearing them threaten violence because they lost.

Government is supposed to be held accountable to the people here. But how does that ever happen in a "representative" democracy?

They're called ELECTIONS and we have them every 2 years.

Thanks . I didn't know that.

These elections you speak of are bought...

So they aren't really elections at all

Really? Prove it. Don't give me opinions, give me facts and figures.

No.

No, no, and no.

And how long will that last?

Well, that bit about the press was written in 1832. So...

:lol:

The "two legs good, four legs bad" Orwellian nature of Congress, about the same.

American federal power has expanded in size and scope far beyond even Alexander Hamilton's wildest wet dreams. That is very worrisome to me. I think about it every day.

Last edited:

Excellent.

No. I want the morons who will not accept the Will of The People as expressed in November to put up or shut up. I'm sick of hearing them threaten violence because they lost.

Let's pretend of a minute that its the will of the people...

You support the tyranny of the majority and want anyone who stands up to them cut in half.

They're called ELECTIONS and we have them every 2 years.

Facts and figures, coming right up!

28tyzol.gif

20f2nte.gif

These re-election rates are equal to the re-election rates of the Soviet Politburo.

Excellent.

You support the tyranny of the majority and want anyone who stands up to them cut in half.

It's a progressive thing.

Excellent.

Stand up to them all you like within the Constitutional system. Use your rights of free speech and free association and the right to peaceably assemble all you like. Vote for whomever you care to. Create your own new party. That's how democracy works.

But, the minute you take up arms against the legitimate government because you don't get your way, you cross over the line from being the noble opposition to being a traitor deserving of nothing but a bullet between the eyes.

Facts and figures, coming right up!

28tyzol.gif

20f2nte.gif

These re-election rates are equal to the re-election rates of the Soviet Politburo.

So? The re-election rate doesn't prove anything other than that The People in those states and districts are happy with the representation they've sent before.

What idiot would say yes to that?

Even the crafters of our Constitution didn't trust government or they wouldn't have built in checks and balances, the 3 branches of government and an independent court system to keep it in line.

They trusted the government. They didn't trust the practicioners. We now have that backwards.

Congress has a 9% approval rating or something like that. Yet the incumbency is something along the lines of 80% of keeping their seats? So that *should* tell you people that on the whole, people trust their gal or guy, not the other gal or guy who represents the "government".

I trust the government. Very much so.

I trust them about a billion times more than I trust Wal*Mart, JC Penny, Shell Oil, or just about any other corporation.

Forum List

Back