Do you think ADHD is a real disorder?

Do you think ADHD is a real disorder?

• Total voters
Said1 said:
Disorder or not, who's to say what happened to cause a developmental delay - if there is one. Medicating kids is sick.

Did you also know kids who continually take these meds can't become Cops or join the Military?

Mental health bill gets star treatment
Actress Kelly Preston spent the day talking with state lawmakers about a bill supported by the Church of Scientology.

TALLAHASSEE - A Church of Scientology group brought celebrity firepower to the Capitol Tuesday, recruiting actor Kelly Preston to lobby for a bill that aims to restrict mental health services in public schools.

Preston, the wife of actor and prominent Scientologist John Travolta, spent the day talking to lawmakers and Lt. Gov. Toni Jennings.

The bill, backed by the Scientology offshoot Citizens Commission on Human Rights, has moved steadily through House committees. But it appears to have hit a snag in the Senate, partly because of its ties to the church.

A similar but less sweeping bill passed the Senate last year with little public attention but died in the House.

"It was not a controversy because no one tried to label it a Scientology bill," said church consultant Mary Repper, referring to last year's legislation.

The St. Petersburg Times reported Saturday that Scientology is backing the legislation. That prompted a stepped up lobbying effort, Repper said.

Last year's bill would have prohibited schools from denying school services to students who refuse to psychotropic drugs. The Church of Scientology, whose spiritual headquarters are in Clearwater, oppose psychiatry and other mental health services.

The current Senate bill, sponsored by Tampa Republican Sen. Victor Crist, would prohibit school officials from referring students for mental health services or passing on observations about abnormal behavior to their parents.

The current House bill, sponsored by Miami Beach Republican Rep. Gus Barreiro, would allow school officials to refer students for mental health services but only after telling parents that no medical test can diagnose mental illness and that any mental disorder will go on a student's permanent record.

Mental health diagnoses are noted in student files only if the school is involved in a student's treatment or the disorder requires special education.

The legislation is opposed by several mental health organizations, including the state Office of Suicide Prevention, which fears it could prevent potentially suicidal teens from getting help.

Jennings and Gov. Jeb Bush have "serious concerns" about the legislation, said spokesman Jacob DiPietre.

"The governor and lieutenant governor side with science, but this administration has an open door policy, and we listen to all sides," Dipietre said.

Supporters of the bill say they don't want to heighten the stigma of mental illness but rather make parents aware of how difficult it is to shed once a child is diagnosed, Preston and others said.

"These psychiatric labelings are not actually medical disorders that can be tested for such as through brain scans," Preston said. Too often parents are intimidated by schools into getting psychotropic drugs for their children, she said.

"These parents need to be aware of the potential dangers of these drugs," Preston said.

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/04/12/Tampabay/Mental_health_bill_ge.shtml

Hell, I cant join the military because of asthsma. I think that I can still be a cop. Fireman is right out for me.

As for ADHD too little science.

deaddude said:
Hell, I cant join the military because of asthsma. I think that I can still be a cop. Fireman is right out for me.

As for ADHD too little science.

If you have asthma - how would you be a cop? You'd run out of breath chasing someone...

Have you tried moving out of your current living conditions?

I had asthma awhile back until we moved into a new home that wasn't damp and prone to mold etc....

I think ADHD is real (I know several people that have it, such as Bullypulpit for example :teeth: ) but it's become a very sexy, faddish, overdiagnosed illness and putting eight-year-olds on Ritalin is just so stupid. I understand that liberals are anxious to get kids on drugs as early as possible, but stop and think about this! If an eight year old can't concentrate, it's cause he's eight years old, idiots!

P.S. Ritalin is a type of amphetamine, related to meth. If you were to inject this drug into the bloodstream, you'd get a high similar to heroin. Ritalin is OK but heroin is illegal? Explain that one.

-Cp said:
If you have asthma - how would you be a cop? You'd run out of breath chasing someone...

Have you tried moving out of your current living conditions?

I had asthma awhile back until we moved into a new home that wasn't damp and prone to mold etc....

I would be the fat one walking down the streets issueing parking tickets.

IMHO...I think that ADD and ADHD are diagnosed too often with a particula medication in mind....to numb out the kids cerebral cortex and slow them down. I like to take those things when I fly sometimes to calm my nerves, but ones I take are called rum and cokes....you have to be 21 to get the proper prescription.

Certainly there are children that need hlep, but with the right environment, and discipline, I think their overactive nature can be directed more positively...Some have even said that they think I am ADD.

WEll, I have met you, and I am not even able to guess what it means to be ADD...but I do like to have a variety of beers available.

Fmr jarhead said:
WEll, I have met you, and I am not even able to guess what it means to be ADD...but I do like to have a variety of beers available.
We need to do that again if we get the chance.
I'll be sure to research the local highways first.

JOKER96BRAVO said:
We need to do that again if we get the chance.
I'll be sure to research the local highways first.

well consuming mass quantities of beer will give you ADD....(smoking dope works too)

manu1959 said:
well consuming mass quantities of beer will give you ADD....(smoking dope works too)
In that case....
I'll diagnose my self.
(Because of the beer, of course)

Kathianne said:
Yes, but it's over diagnosed. You're both right for the vast majority of kids. For those where it's real, there are signs from the get go.

Kathianne said:
Actually there are differences on EEG. Has to do with the firing of synapses.

amen. I 100,000,000 % agree.

The first time I went to college (right out of highschool), I went for my RN. I then specialized in pediatric allergy with a special interest in food sensitivity and behavior. I worked in the field for 10 years and saw some incredible things that correlated the exacerbation of immunologic allergicfood sensitivity and AHDH/behavior differentiation in children (reference Dr. Doris Rapp's works shuold anyone need to have documentation of this).

The results were staggering. The things I saw simply defied logic in my mind.

Also, after having my second child, I experienced this first hand. He is miserable without treatment and cannot function in a lot of ways. With treatment he can focus and concentrate. Without it, there is NO focus or concentration. With treatemtn the EEG results are high functionong normal - without it drops drastically. Mind you, I do not and would not put my child on one of the medications that turn them into zombies and impede the desire to eat. My child is on a treatment program that allows him to be himself as well as does not decrease his appetite.

I think that the label of ADD/ADHD is thrown arround WAY too loosely these days. I liken it to caregivers sitting a child in front of a video for hours upon hours a day. Its a 'baby sitter' of sorts (IMO, that is).

Is this a real disorder? Damn tootin' it is. Is it misdiagnosed a great deal? Most certainly.

I can tell you most assuredly it is and I was once in the solid no category. My son, who is the kindest most respectful kid you ever want to meet was having trouble focusing, not only in school but if you gave him a chore to do at home he would start and 5 minutes later he would get sidetracked, happened so many times I can't even fathom. He saw the doctor, was given some medicine(not ridlin) and now is at the top of his class and no more side tracking issues. Yes its a real problem.

Again, y'all are talking about symptoms with no real evidence of a condition. Can environment influence symtoms? you betcha...It's sorta like the whole Gay Gene imo...sure there are symptoms something is wrong; but those symptoms are manifested purely in behavior, not in medical tests, etc.

-=d=- said:
Again, y'all are talking about symptoms with no real evidence of a condition. Can environment influence symtoms? you betcha...It's sorta like the whole Gay Gene imo...sure there are symptoms something is wrong; but those symptoms are manifested purely in behavior, not in medical tests, etc.

Granted, the possible causes could be too numerous too mention, but all ending with similar results (or symptoms).

-=d=- said:

I understand where you are coming from D but until you have personally experienced it you can't fathom it. And yes it does manifest itself in medical tests, not blood samples per say but medical behavioral tests. It is without a doubt a condition and no amount of ass kicking or yelling will stop it, it only worsens it. I know, I tried it.

i actually have been diagnosed with adult ADD, but i don't use that as an excuse for taking the easy way out. i just know how to adjust my thinking and use other methods to learn something. most of the time, i have someone show me how to do what ever it is maybe 2-3 times, and i will understand it enough to get through it. after a while, i become so efficient, i can actually find shortcuts, or better, less time-consuming ways of doing it.

the tests they put the kids through for adhd are pretty accurate, however most adhd cases can be prevented by encouraging kids to read books, play outside, use their imagination. most young kids have short attention spans anyhow, so to expect a 5yr old (especially boys) to sit still for 3-4 hours at a time is ludicrous.

Forum List

Back