Do you support euthanasia?

The terminally ill certain should have the right to decide at what point their pain and sufffering should end.

They and ONLY they ought to have that right.

Sorry, Ed... I haven't read the rest of the thread yet, so don't know if you addressed this, but what if their brain is no longer functional? You think they should be kept alive indefinitely?

I think we're kinder to our pets than to each other.

The terminally ill certain should have the right to decide at what point their pain and sufffering should end.

Sorry, Ed... I haven't read the rest of the thread yet, so don't know if you addressed this, but what if their brain is no longer functional? You think they should be kept alive indefinitely?

I think we're kinder to our pets than to each other.

That's because most pets don't have a bank account.

There likely isn't a person on this planet that doesn't feel like they want to doe at some point in time. Allowing people to off them selves because they've chosen to wuss out is silly.

To many question don't get asked. I don't have problems with DNR's for people who are obviously in the process of croaking barring miracles. I do have problems with anything more direct than that.

Sarah Palin's recent assertion aside, do you support assisted suicide? Isn't the right to die with dignity, at the time YOU choose, and without pain a basic right?

To the first question, no. To the second quesrtion, I cannot answer for anyone but myself, and at the time, I might think it best to die and be out of the pain. Only if there is no known chance for full recovery. My choice, no one elses.

Sarah Palin's recent assertion aside, do you support assisted suicide? Isn't the right to die with dignity, at the time YOU choose, and without pain a basic right?

I dont know what this has to do with sara palin but i'll throw down with my 2 cents

I dislike abortion and think it is murder and therefore wrong
I dislike the death penalty as again its murder and I think murder is wrong
I dislike assisted suicide because it is murder and I think murder is wrong

Now if someone wants to just go an kill themselves I have no problem with that, my problem comes when someone else helps kill them.....thats murder.

So... Three "I think it is murder" statements, followed by an emphatic "that's murder". Big jump from opinion to fact, isn't it?

There likely isn't a person on this planet that doesn't feel like they want to doe at some point in time. Allowing people to off them selves because they've chosen to wuss out is silly.

To many question don't get asked. I don't have problems with DNR's for people who are obviously in the process of croaking barring miracles. I do have problems with anything more direct than that.

You don't have a problem with "allowing" someone to die, as long as they themselves do nothing to hasten the process?

Why should someone be forced to suffer because you don't like the idea of them taking control of their own life---and death?

I believe in assisted suicide. When I worked with alzheimer's patients I did hope there was a way of putting them out of the misery but I would never want that without their consent.
I have seen nurses give them levels of morphine that speeded up the dying process, so instead of dying in six hours they died in two.
Once they stopped getting up and refused to eat we would stop feeding them and giving them water because it more painful for us to give them food once they have stopped. And dehyrdration is a natural pain reliever.
A couple of points here. The risk of aspiration is very high with these patients. That is why I would withhold fluids or food by mouth.

Second, narcotics given for comfort at end of life do not 'speed up' the dying process or 'kill' the patient. I had a link to some research on this, I'll have to see if I can locate it.

Rats. I just did a quick search and there's info from the cancer center at the Cleveland Clinic which backs me up, but that isn't the one I was thinking of.

Morphine has no upper dose limit; it can be titrated to pain. It also serves to ease respiratory distress and 'air hunger' and lowers the workload on the heart.

I'll keep searching for the study.
It is also painful for them to digest the food once they have stopped eating and I know the reasons why they with hold fluid and food, like I said before I have provided end of life care over 40 times. People put their families in where I worked because we specialized in end of life care for dementia patients.
I also wasn't refering to normal doses of morphine.

and from googling there are some sites that say it does and some say it doesn't.
I think at the end it calms them and they are able to let go.

I believe in assisted suicide. When I worked with alzheimer's patients I did hope there was a way of putting them out of the misery but I would never want that without their consent.
I have seen nurses give them levels of morphine that speeded up the dying process, so instead of dying in six hours they died in two.
Once they stopped getting up and refused to eat we would stop feeding them and giving them water because it more painful for us to give them food once they have stopped. And dehyrdration is a natural pain reliever.
A couple of points here. The risk of aspiration is very high with these patients. That is why I would withhold fluids or food by mouth.

Second, narcotics given for comfort at end of life do not 'speed up' the dying process or 'kill' the patient. I had a link to some research on this, I'll have to see if I can locate it.

Rats. I just did a quick search and there's info from the cancer center at the Cleveland Clinic which backs me up, but that isn't the one I was thinking of.

Morphine has no upper dose limit; it can be titrated to pain. It also serves to ease respiratory distress and 'air hunger' and lowers the workload on the heart.

I'll keep searching for the study.
It is also painful for them to digest the food once they have stopped eating and I know the reasons why they with hold fluid and food, like I said before I have provided end of life care over 40 times. People put their families in where I worked because we specialized in end of life care for dementia patients.
I also wasn't refering to normal doses of morphine.

I know, and I understand what you're saying. I don't want people to think that if we're giving pain relief that equates to killing or hastening death, that's all. It's not uncommon for me to run up against that misconception from patients and families. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that.

and from googling there are some sites that say it does and some say it doesn't.

I'll try to find the research. I may have to wait and see if I can find it through our links at the hospital (that I can't access here). The one I'm thinking of in particular proved that respiratory drive, sats, etc., were not adversely affected.

I can agree with this. See my above post for my clear position.
I did.
I quote you " I dislike assisted suicide because it is murder and I think murder is wrong"

No child left behind or just plain stupid ?
Something about hats...............

Funny old world isn't it. When a pet no longer has any quality of life we have it put down, out of kindness. When a human deteriorates to the extent that quality of life is diminished beyond repair, we insist they live on regardless. :cuckoo:

Funny old world isn't it. When a pet no longer has any quality of life we have it put down, out of kindness. When a human deteriorates to the extent that quality of life is diminished beyond repair, we insist they live on regardless. :cuckoo:

Some would claim this is because we value human life more than that of animals. I'm not sure it's the best way to show it, though.

Which brings me back to an earlier point I made on this thread: Make sure you have your own ducks in a row so your wishes can be honored.

I intend to fight with every ounce of my being as long as I have breath. If for no other reason than the possibility that something further might be learned that might benefit someone else somewhere down the line.

As I sit here typing this I have osteo arthritis in my spine. I am in almost constant pain yet I manage to work a full forty hours a week as a machinist. My hands at the moment are somewhat swollen and my thighs feel like some one just worked them over with a ball bat. None the less I am here. And I continue to contribute as best I can both here and to society at large.

I intend to fight with every ounce of my being as long as I have breath. If for no other reason than the possibility that something further might be learned that might benefit someone else somewhere down the line.

As I sit here typing this I have osteo arthritis in my spine. I am in almost constant pain yet I manage to work a full forty hours a week as a machinist. My hands at the moment are somewhat swollen and my thighs feel like some one just worked them over with a ball bat. None the less I am here. And I continue to contribute as best I can both here and to society at large.

That is your choice, and you're free as is anybody else to make your own choice about your own life. But are you then of the opinion that your choice is the only valid one to make?

I'll try to find the research. I may have to wait and see if I can find it through our links at the hospital (that I can't access here). The one I'm thinking of in particular proved that respiratory drive, sats, etc., were not adversely affected.
you are most likely right. I personally think it relaxes them enough so they don't have fear and they can let go.
I took care of this one lady who was expected to die for year and a half but she was so scared of dying she wouldn't let go. Never under estimate someones will to live.
It is like those fisherman who get stuck in the Artic in a life raft for 20 hours, they should be dead but they all say they fought falling asleep and letting go. Sorry alittle off topic!

I believe sir it is the best choice. I do not expect everyone to take it. When there are no brain waves what made this body me no longer resides here. Then it is time to pull the plug.

I can agree with this. See my above post for my clear position.
I did.
I quote you " I dislike assisted suicide because it is murder and I think murder is wrong"

No child left behind or just plain stupid ?
Something about hats...............

Technically, in most areas it is murder, though in some it isn't anymore.

Forum List

Back