Do you support euthanasia?

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Wry Catcher, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Wry Catcher

Wry Catcher Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,194
    Sarah Palin's recent assertion aside, do you support assisted suicide? Isn't the right to die with dignity, at the time YOU choose, and without pain a basic right?

2. Meister

Meister Platinum Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,102
    I agree with your post as it is written. I must emphasize where I put the period.

3. Liberty

Liberty Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +548
    i dont see whats wrong with youth in asia. they're just kids.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Immanuel

Immanuel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,224
    Euthanasia (mercy killing) and assisted suicide are actually, by my understanding, two different things.

Euthanasia is someone else making the decision to put another being (whether that other being is human or animal) out of its misery. While assisted suicide is the person who is dieing makes the decision to die gracefully with the help of someone else, usually a doctor. .

Euthanasia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Euthanasia suicide mercy-killing right-to-die physician assisted suicide living wills research

http://www.internationaltaskforce.org/faq.htm

You might notice in the euthanasia.com link that euthanasia AND assisted suicide are listed separately

As far as I am concerned those who deliberately attempt to tie the two together are being dishonest. Note: I am not saying that is what Wry Catcher is doing here.

I do not support euthanasia. As for assisted suicide, well, I'm a little bit quesy on that especially after going through my dad's cancer two months ago. He did not go that route, but had he chosen to, I could have understood.

Immie

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  5. Wry Catcher

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,194
    I appreciate your post Immanuel and admit I did not look up defintions prior to posting. That said, my mother suffered with Alzheimers for years before dying in June, 2008. She was bedridden for the final eight years of life, and had assisted suicide been available, she would surely have taken that option.
    Given the definition of euthanasia you posted, my sister, father and I would have given the authority to her doctor for euthanasia years before her actual death. I am 100% my mother would have supported such a decision.
    I support a patients right to choose, and believe it is not the business of lawmakers to deny such a right. If I (or my mother) had a written document that included a DNR - which she did and I do - why are we denied to take that decision one step farther?

6. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,618
    The terminally ill certain should have the right to decide at what point their pain and sufffering should end.

They and ONLY they ought to have that right.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  7. PLYMCO_PILGRIM

PLYMCO_PILGRIM Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,863
    I dont know what this has to do with sara palin but i'll throw down with my 2 cents

I dislike abortion and think it is murder and therefore wrong
    I dislike the death penalty as again its murder and I think murder is wrong
    I dislike assisted suicide because it is murder and I think murder is wrong

Now if someone wants to just go an kill themselves I have no problem with that, my problem comes when someone else helps kill them.....thats murder.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. PLYMCO_PILGRIM

PLYMCO_PILGRIM Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,863
    I can agree with this. See my above post for my clear position.

9. Wry Catcher

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,194
    I've now read the documents linked by Immie.
    I should add to my post above that my mother was medicated for the eight years she was bedridden, and outwordly did not speak or communicate. She did, however, grind her death, and moan, leading me to wonder if she was aware of her circumstance (I was and remain concerned that my mothers last years of life were as horrible as those described in the novel "Johnny Got His Gun").
    Notwithstanding the arguments linked by Immie, I stand by my belief that a patients wishes should be honored, and asssisted suicide carried out according to the patients wishes is humane; allowing suffering on the possibility of henious behavior by family or doctors is absurd - laws can be enacted to minimize such behaviors.

10. Immanuel

Immanuel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,224
    Well, as I tried to communicate, if it were you're mother's choice then I'm quesy on the answer to this. If it truly is her choice, then that is one thing. However, the problem lies with when does it cease to be your mom's choice and becomes your choice. I do not know the situation with your mom and the following statement is not related to your situation at all, but I want to use "you" as the example here because you brought it up. Again, I am not saying you would do this. Let me change that... I'm going to use me and my dad as the example

But, when does this end being dad's choice and become "my" choice because continuing to care for dad has simply become too difficult? Being there when a loved one is dieing is very difficult. Trust me, I was just recently there. We would rather they go out with our definition of dignity, but are we letting them go for their benefit or are we only taking the easy way out for ourselves.

If the patient has communicated his/her wishes as with a living will/DNR statement, then we know what those wishes are, but in many cases that is not what happens and the family is left with making those decisions on their own. It is a very tough decision and one I hope not to have to make. By the time they diagnosed my dad with cancer it was too late and eventually he was moved to hospice care (God Bless those who provide this care) and he gave up. We didn't have to make the choice because dad had relayed his wishes to all of us and the hospice care let him die in peace.

But, what if he had been on life support? What if we had to make the choice to pull the plug for him? Would it have been his choice or ours? I can't answer that and don't want to.

Immie

Last edited: Aug 14, 2009