Do you say Holidays instead of Christmas? Joke is on YOU!

Those of you who say "Happy Holidays" instead of Merry Christmas due to the religious aspects of Christmas are being hypocritical of your own values. You are wishing us happy "Holy Days" without realizing it :lol:

Holiday - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Er... no... I'm assuming that they might celebrate MY holiday, too...

but nice try...

Sounds like my post DOES NOT apply to you Jillian...but nice try ;)

your post assumes that if one says "happy holidays", it is because somehow the religious implications of "merry christmas" offend them.
i'm just pointing out that your premise is false.

:thup:

So you are denying that some of the people who won't say merry christmas are doing so due to religion?

My post is directed at those specific individuals who say Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas due to the religious aspect. Please comprehend what I typed without inserting intent that was not there!

Nice strawman though Jillian :thup:

Jehovah Witness do not celebrate Christmas. My friends, C, and D, who we know many years from the Buddhist Center, all travel together to the city for Chinese food and a movies on Christmas day.

We are putting lights up this year, but not for Christmas, for Solstice, not that it matters.

How about you answer that question I raised that you bolded half of.....and maybe a few more while you are at it.

Why are people told to NOT say merry christmas again? Is it because they MIGHT offend someone?

Who is offended by saying merry christmas?

Didn't you read what the company sent you? They say "Happy Holidays" because not everyone celebrates Xmas, NOT because someone might be offended. You're the one that posed the question of why someone might be offended. To most people it's a matter of the company trying to be inclusive. It's the 'Xmas only' whiners that are constantly taking offense and then blaming their own bad attitudes on others. Hardly the Xmas spirit, IMHO.

Yes I did hence my question...let me ask you again with a little more wording since you failed to asnwer me.

How can you worry about people finding it offensive to say Merry Christmas yet send Santa Clause into the restaurant....just by having santa there in the restaurant didn't they already cross the "christmas line" by sending a symbol that is related only to christmas in there in the first place?

Also do you find it offensive is someone wishes you a merry christmas? I'm still trying to find the fabled american who takes offense to this.

I agree, having Santa in the first place did cross that "Christmas" threshold already, so yeah, I think it is silly to have Santa Claus appear at your restaurant but then forbid him from initiating a Merry Christmas greeting! :cuckoo: :lol:

Er... no... I'm assuming that they might celebrate MY holiday, too...

but nice try...

Sounds like my post DOES NOT apply to you Jillian...but nice try ;)

I think she just meant that Hanukkah is a HOLY day as well...

She said she says happy holidays for reasons other than thinking the religious aspect of christmas is offensive to some people....therefore my post was not directed at her.

Yet she trumped up my post to say something it wasn't saying in order to argue with me, creating a strawman argument.

Those of you who say "Happy Holidays" instead of Merry Christmas due to the religious aspects of Christmas are being hypocritical of your own values. You are wishing us happy "Holy Days" without realizing it :lol:

The word holiday derived from the notion of "Holy Day", and gradually evolved to its current form.

The word holiday comes from the Old English word hāligdæg. The word originally referred only to special religious days. In modern use, it means any special day of rest or relaxation, as opposed to normal days away from work or school.
So when CON$ have a shit fit over using "Happy Holidays" rather than "Merry Christmas" they are offended by the religious and holy meaning of the greeting. The CON$ are actually revealing they are anti-religion "without realizing it :lol:"

The word holiday derived from the notion of "Holy Day", and gradually evolved to its current form.

The word holiday comes from the Old English word hāligdæg. The word originally referred only to special religious days. In modern use, it means any special day of rest or relaxation, as opposed to normal days away from work or school.
So when CON$ have a shit fit over using "Happy Holidays" rather than "Merry Christmas" they are offended by the religious and holy meaning of the greeting. The CON$ are actually revealing they are anti-religion "without realizing it :lol:"

That is another way to look at it :lol:

I love this thread it just got better :D

Put Christ back in Xmas.

Well I'm not a religious person (i should clarify I believe there is a God I just don't believe in religions) nor is christmas a religious holiday for me or my family so.....yeah......

I'm still waiting for the person who is offended when someone says merry christmas to show up...i truly think they don't exist but I'm sure SOMEONE on this forum is or is willing to lie and say they are just to be the one :lol:

Also do you find it offensive is someone wishes you a merry christmas? I'm still trying to find the fabled american who takes offense to this.

Me too! Why does the right keep harping on something that plainly doesn't exist?

I dunno.

So why not just say Merry Christmas and call it a Christmas tree....right? I mean its not offensive after all.

The Fox news douche bags automatically assume that if you replace the word "Christmas" with the word "Holidays," you are an evil atheist devil worshipper who's trying to exterminate religion altogether. The meaning of actual words at that organization does not get in the way of their conclusion that anyone who says "happy holidays" is declaring war on Christmas. Lulz, they're so dramatic.

And Antisemetic used to mean those against semetic people not just the Jews.
Semetic people are Arabic people.

And conservative used to mean conservative, not republican.

You do realize that there are more then one type or religious "holy days" in the month of December dont you?

Grow up. Christmas is a Christain Holiday (Holy Day); the months of November and December included not only Chrstmas but secular days such as Thanksgiving, New Years, the Winter Solstice as well as a number of other holy days celebrated by non-Christians.

You do realize that there are more then one type or religious "holy days" in the month of December dont you?

I sure do there are several.

Please make sure to comprehend the words I used in the first post and whom this was directed at (those who say happy holidays because they think saying merry christmas is offensive due to the religious aspect).

Why do so many people seem to ascribe intent other than what my words stated?

Grow up. Christmas is a Christain Holiday (Holy Day); the months of November and December included not only Chrstmas but secular days such as Thanksgiving, New Years, the Winter Solstice as well as a number of other holy days celebrated by non-Christians.

And your point is what exactly? How does your post take away from the fact that those who say "happy holidays" because they think the religious aspect of christmas might offend someone are still wishing people a happy religious day without realizing it?

I sure do there are several.

Please make sure to comprehend the words I used in the first post and whom this was directed at (those who say happy holidays because they think saying merry christmas is offensive due to the religious aspect).

Why do so many people seem to ascribe intent other than what my words stated?

I think the confusion is in your wording...Including the thread title which challenges "Do you say Holidays instead of Christmas? Joke is on YOU!".

Points of clarification are not "arguments" my dear... How can you know WHY someone chooses to say Happy Holidays...? IOW how can you assume they are being "hypocritical" if you don't know where they are coming from...?

Forum List

Back