Do you say Holidays instead of Christmas? Joke is on YOU!

Well, I celebrate Isaac Newton's Birthday. (Dec 25)

This Joshua Ben Joseph that Christmas is supposed to be about was born in late February early March, according to the bible.

For doe-eyed O-bots, I would say Presidents Day might qualify as a holy day.
President's Day is no longer on the calendar of official U.S. holidays. It was replaced by MLK day in January for most federal/state/local employees, and private companies. it was never designed honor the current president, but was a holiday to memorialize George Washington by celebrating his birthday (it was implemented in 1880).

You're wrong. MLK Day and Presidents' Day replaced Lincoln's and Washington's birthdays as holidays. Presidents' Day is meant to honor ALL presidents and was placed on a day BETWEEN Lincoln's and Washington's, as it was not meant to honor either of them alone.

Those of you who say "Happy Holidays" instead of Merry Christmas due to the religious aspects of Christmas are being hypocritical of your own values. You are wishing us happy "Holy Days" without realizing it :lol:

Holiday - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The word holiday derived from the notion of "Holy Day", and gradually evolved to its current form.

The word holiday comes from the Old English word hāligdæg. The word originally referred only to special religious days. In modern use, it means any special day of rest or relaxation, as opposed to normal days away from work or school.

I agree. Christmas is the celebration of the birth of Christ. Christians celebrate this event. Non-Christians should report to work that day rather than use a Christian holiday as yet another excuse for a day off hitting the bottle.

You go to Mass, right?

President's Day is no longer on the calendar of official U.S. holidays. It was replaced by MLK day in January for most federal/state/local employees, and private companies. it was never designed honor the current president, but was a holiday to memorialize George Washington by celebrating his birthday (it was implemented in 1880).

Presidents Day is still a national holiday. It combined Washington and Lincolns birthdays (which were two national holidays) when they made MLK day a holiday.

Where did you go to school?

Presidents Day is still a national holiday. It combined Washington and Lincolns birthdays (which were two national holidays) when they made MLK day a holiday.

Shall we ask you the same?

From the OPM, Federal Holidays 2012

OPM said:
Monday, January 2* New Year's Day
Monday, January 16 Birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr.
Monday, February 20** Washington's Birthday
Monday, May 28 Memorial Day
Wednesday, July 4 Independence Day
Monday, September 3 Labor Day
Monday, October 8 Columbus Day
Monday, November 12*** Veterans Day
Thursday, November 22 Thanksgiving Day
Tuesday, December 25 Christmas Day

* January 1, 2012 (the legal public holiday for New Year's Day), falls on a Sunday. For most Federal employees, Monday, January 2, will be treated as a holiday for pay and leave purposes. (See section 3(a) of Executive order 11582, February 11, 1971.)

** This holiday is designated as "Washington's Birthday" in section 6103(a) of title 5 of the United States Code, which is the law that specifies holidays for Federal employees. Though other institutions such as state and local governments and private businesses may use other names, it is our policy to always refer to holidays by the names designated in the law.

*** November 11, 2012 (the legal public holiday for Veterans Day), falls on a Sunday. For most Federal employees, Monday, November 12, will be treated as a holiday for pay and leave purposes. (See section 3(a) of Executive order 11582, February 11, 1971.)

OPM said:

* January 1, 2012 (the legal public holiday for New Year's Day), falls on a Sunday. For most Federal employees, Monday, January 2, will be treated as a holiday for pay and leave purposes. (See section 3(a) of Executive order 11582, February 11, 1971.)

** This holiday is designated as "Washington's Birthday" in section 6103(a) of title 5 of the United States Code, which is the law that specifies holidays for Federal employees. Though other institutions such as state and local governments and private businesses may use other names, it is our policy to always refer to holidays by the names designated in the law.

*** November 11, 2012 (the legal public holiday for Veterans Day), falls on a Sunday. For most Federal employees, Monday, November 12, will be treated as a holiday for pay and leave purposes. (See section 3(a) of Executive order 11582, February 11, 1971.)

So they threw out Lincoln altogether did they? Those of us who went to school in the 60's and 70's had Washington AND Lincoln's birthdays off. When they started celebrating MLK day, they combined them into Presidents day. I think I can be forgiven if they changed it to Washington's birthday since then.

OPM said:

So they threw out Lincoln altogether did they? Those of us who went to school in the 60's and 70's had Washington AND Lincoln's birthdays off. When they started celebrating MLK day, they combined them into Presidents day. I think I can be forgiven if they changed it to Washington's birthday since then.
Yeah, I think they changed it a few times, thus the reason for many of us messing it up, I believe.

Those of you who say "Happy Holidays" instead of Merry Christmas due to the religious aspects of Christmas are being hypocritical of your own values. You are wishing us happy "Holy Days" without realizing it :lol:

The word holiday derived from the notion of "Holy Day", and gradually evolved to its current form.

The word holiday comes from the Old English word hāligdæg. The word originally referred only to special religious days. In modern use, it means any special day of rest or relaxation, as opposed to normal days away from work or school.

Um, allow me to point something out for you. "Holy Day" is generic. Each religion has "Holy Days"....it is not Christian specific.......AND (wait for it)........that is the point.

No need to thank me.

Do try an COMPREHEND what was written in the first post :rofl:

So many USMB posters are tweaked in the area of reading comprehension and this thread is ample proof.

Here let me highlight something for you

I sure do there are several.

Please make sure to comprehend the words I used in the first post and whom this was directed at (those who say happy holidays because they think saying merry christmas is offensive due to the religious aspect).

Why do so many people seem to ascribe intent other than what my words stated?

Holiday has many meanings. That is unless you think a long holiday weekend for presidents day, labor day, and memorial day are considered long holy day weekends. :eusa_whistle:
Odd that it is only people of the Rightie political persuasion who say such things here.

Um, allow me to point something out for you. "Holy Day" is generic. Each religion has "Holy Days"....it is not Christian specific.......AND (wait for it)........that is the point.

No need to thank me.

So many USMB posters are tweaked in the area of reading comprehension and this thread is ample proof.

When so many posters "appear" to misunderstand your opening post, maybe it's time you look to yourself.

Just sayin' :eusa_whistle:

No need to thank me.

When so many posters "appear" to misunderstand your opening post, maybe it's time you look to yourself.

I don't know, his words are pretty clear. A lot of posters don't take the time to read everything, in my experience at USMB.

I don't believe that it is CELEBRATED as a federal holiday in most years, though (i.e., banks are open). My company, for instance, no longer gives us a day off on either President's Day or Columbus Day.

Are you under the mistaken impression that the rest of us wishing you a "Happy Holiday" is intended to be offensive in some way? :cuckoo:

You should take your pill. You aren't making any sense today, Plymco.

Wear this to Mass and you're good to go.

Happy_Festivus_Kipa.jpg

I don't believe that it is CELEBRATED as a federal holiday in most years, though (i.e., banks are open). My company, for instance, no longer gives us a day off on either President's Day or Columbus Day.

As long as federal employees get the day off, I believe it counts as a federal holiday.

I sure do there are several.

Please make sure to comprehend the words I used in the first post and whom this was directed at (those who say happy holidays because they think saying merry christmas is offensive due to the religious aspect).

Why do so many people seem to ascribe intent other than what my words stated?

Holiday has many meanings. That is unless you think a long holiday weekend for presidents day, labor day, and memorial day are considered long holy day weekends. :eusa_whistle:

I understand what you are getting at there syreen. Its a good point but doesn't detract from the humor I derive from the nitwits who think saying merry christmas or happy holidays is offensive either way, considering the origin of the word holiday.

"Oh im so offended by happy holidays because its my religion's day, they should say christmas" Really they are wishing you a happy holy day
"Oh i'm so offended by christmas being religious they should say happy holidyas" Really you are wishing them a happy holy day

Its pretty funny for me and for the dozen or so people who PM'd/Repped me and Im sorry you don't seem to see the humor.

Oh, i understood what you were saying in your OP. The offended (both ways) make me laugh too.

The problem is in the semantics of the word "holiday"

OPM said:

Now you have done it! Gone and listed the federal holy days! :lol:

I don't know, his words are pretty clear. A lot of posters don't take the time to read everything, in my experience at USMB.

More people took it the way I wrote it than, like Jillian, projected something else onto it that wasn't there.

Forum List

Back