Do you say Holidays instead of Christmas? Joke is on YOU!

Happy whatever.
Most Americans celebrate this time of year to get drunk, eat a lot, and watch football.
Some donate a few bucks here and there because they feel guilty the other 51 weeks of the year for doing nothing.

Why else would they allow an extra day off?

Happy whatever.
Most Americans celebrate this time of year to get drunk, eat a lot, and watch football.
Some donate a few bucks here and there because they feel guilty the other 51 weeks of the year for doing nothing.

Why else would they allow an extra day off?

You tell them Maynard

Nice to see someone appreciate what Christmas is all about

okay i just saw foxy's thread on the same thing....joke is on both of you....making this an issue when it should not be...and you and her are the ones making this an issue...says more about yall than it does the people you are bitching about.

Those of you who say "Happy Holidays" instead of Merry Christmas due to the religious aspects of Christmas are being hypocritical of your own values. You are wishing us happy "Holy Days" without realizing it :lol:

Holiday - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The word holiday derived from the notion of "Holy Day", and gradually evolved to its current form.

The word holiday comes from the Old English word hāligdæg. The word originally referred only to special religious days. In modern use, it means any special day of rest or relaxation, as opposed to normal days away from work or school.

Have you considered the possibility that the term was adopted because it's religious but not religion specific?

But anyway, who cares?

Those of you who say "Happy Holidays" instead of Merry Christmas due to the religious aspects of Christmas are being hypocritical of your own values. You are wishing us happy "Holy Days" without realizing it :lol:

The word holiday derived from the notion of "Holy Day", and gradually evolved to its current form.

The word holiday comes from the Old English word hāligdæg. The word originally referred only to special religious days. In modern use, it means any special day of rest or relaxation, as opposed to normal days away from work or school.

Are you retarded?

I only ask because apparently you think everybody else is.

Here's how I feel. I will say what holiday it is on that Holiday if I celebrate it. If it is Christmas it's Christmas everywhere that day. I will say "Merry Christmas." If it is between holidays I will simply say "happy holidays." If I know someone who is Jewish I will tell them "Happy Chaunakah." Im not Jewish but so what?
I try to cover all the bases. But one thing that really gets me... parents who say Santa can't say "ho! ho! ho!" because it is derogatory? Really?

Here's how I feel. I will say what holiday it is on that Holiday if I celebrate it. If it is Christmas it's Christmas everywhere that day. I will say "Merry Christmas." If it is between holidays I will simply say "happy holidays." If I know someone who is Jewish I will tell them "Happy Chaunakah." Im not Jewish but so what?
I try to cover all the bases. But one thing that really gets me... parents who say Santa can't say "ho! ho! ho!" because it is derogatory? Really?

Did your santa just call my little girl a ho! I'm suing!!!! :tongue:

Actually, I'm inclined to say "Joyous Yule." Unless I'm talking to a Christian; then I'll say "Happy Holidays." It's not to cast out God, but to avoid offending someone whose religious beliefs are different from mine, and might feel bizarre being given a Pagan holiday blessing.

Christians really need to get over this narcissistic notion that anyone who isn't a Christian is an atheist.

Are other religions as careful not to step on anyone's toes?

Martin Luther King Day, Columbus Day, Halloween, St. Valentine's day, New Year Day, Kwanza, Ramadan. We'll celebrate anything in this country, but no day for Christians to celebrate the birth of Christ the Lord?
Bullshit.
Christianity is under assault. We can cower at political correctness, or we can go boldly.

Isaiah 9:6 For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. :clap2:

You have the right to not celebrate a child's birth. Just go about your day on Dec.25. No need to attack someone's beliefs or mount an assault to silence them.
Christ is the reason for this season. Not a turkey, not a new year.........

Merry Christmas everybody.

Last edited:

Did your santa just call my little girl a ho! I'm suing!!!! :tongue:

That's nothing I hear of one mother that tried to have the Easter Bunny banned becasue it reminded her of Playboy... come on people.

:bsflag:

That really doesn't make sense. Christianism isn't by any stretch the only religion that has "holy days". Chanukkah? Solstice? They're all holy days. That's why "holidays" is more inclusive.

Well if the english language were a dead or static language you would have a brilliant point. However the language changes with the time and culture. Holidays has taken on a more secular meaning.

If you wish for it to mean something more religious have a field day, you can revel in the satisfaction the someone wished you a happy holy day. Meanwhile everyone else is to busy getting plastered at their christmas party to give a shit about the semantics.

Well if the english language were a dead or static language you would have a brilliant point. However the language changes with the time and culture. Holidays has taken on a more secular meaning.

If you wish for it to mean something more religious have a field day, you can revel in the satisfaction the someone wished you a happy holy day. Meanwhile everyone else is to busy getting plastered at their christmas party to give a shit about the semantics.

Fixed that for you:
.... holiday party ....

Forum List

Back