Do You Respect The Chair You're Sitting On?

BullKurtz

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2013
RIGHT BEHIND YOU
I've had an office chair for years I never gave a second thought. It was supposedly leather but turned out to be a good quality vinyl so I forgave it's misrepresenting itself. Once the vinyl started to crack over the years, one day I decided to cover it with fabric. So I went to my local auto and home upholstery store, picked out some heavy duty cotton twill fabric, cut and stapled it over the old skin. Looks great! I'd done one other job on an Eames leather chair and ottoman from a similar leather skin I found. Upholstery isn't that hard once you take something apart and see how it was done in the first place.

So anyway, a little over a week ago, there was a ugly sound under me and my chair and then we both went over backwards. I was okay but the chair wasn't. The cowling where the support post joined the swivel/rock mechanism under the chair had ripped away. I looked it over and pulled it back into as straight a position as I could. The light steel was still all there, just sliced away. I knew it needed to be welded but I decided to cheap out and try to repair it with JB Weld. Three times. Then my welder moved his shop and wouldn't reopen for 3 weeks.

I've been sitting in a cloth seat director's chair for ten days to post here. I finally had to put a pillow on the seat to stay high enough to type comfortably. I also knew all the JB Weld I slathered on the spot had to be removed...it explodes when a hot welding rod hits it. So that was a couple hours filing all that off it. So who would weld it?

An illegal doing a used tire business on a seedy street in Phoenix is who. I took it down to him and he looked it over. He wanted to know if it was aluminum which requires a tig welder. I told him no but we had to know for sure. As he scratched his head I asked if he had a magnet. He did but it was stuck on the corregated metal roof over his work area. So his pal got on a chair but couldn't reach the magnet. I asked Pancho if he had an channel locks...he didn't know that word in englesia. His pal finally found a taller chair and reached it. It stuck to my chair bottom so he welded it. I asked him "how much" and he said whatever I wanted to give him. So I handed him a $20 and he smiled showing me all 50 of his teeth...man, those folks have a lot of teeth.

So my chair is back under me and I will never take it for granted again. Do you and your chair have the same kind of harmony me and mine do? Think about it....do you respect and appreciate the chair you're sitting on?
huh_zps297f809f.png

Do you know what kind of damage you're doing to the throw away society????!!!!!!! Shame on you!!!!!

(Hey, somebody had to say it.......)

I've had an office chair for years I never gave a second thought. It was supposedly leather but turned out to be a good quality vinyl so I forgave it's misrepresenting itself. Once the vinyl started to crack over the years, one day I decided to cover it with fabric. So I went to my local auto and home upholstery store, picked out some heavy duty cotton twill fabric, cut and stapled it over the old skin. Looks great! I'd done one other job on an Eames leather chair and ottoman from a similar leather skin I found. Upholstery isn't that hard once you take something apart and see how it was done in the first place.

So anyway, a little over a week ago, there was a ugly sound under me and my chair and then we both went over backwards. I was okay but the chair wasn't. The cowling where the support post joined the swivel/rock mechanism under the chair had ripped away. I looked it over and pulled it back into as straight a position as I could. The light steel was still all there, just sliced away. I knew it needed to be welded but I decided to cheap out and try to repair it with JB Weld. Three times. Then my welder moved his shop and wouldn't reopen for 3 weeks.

I've been sitting in a cloth seat director's chair for ten days to post here. I finally had to put a pillow on the seat to stay high enough to type comfortably. I also knew all the JB Weld I slathered on the spot had to be removed...it explodes when a hot welding rod hits it. So that was a couple hours filing all that off it. So who would weld it?

An illegal doing a used tire business on a seedy street in Phoenix is who. I took it down to him and he looked it over. He wanted to know if it was aluminum which requires a tig welder. I told him no but we had to know for sure. As he scratched his head I asked if he had a magnet. He did but it was stuck on the corregated metal roof over his work area. So his pal got on a chair but couldn't reach the magnet. I asked Pancho if he had an channel locks...he didn't know that word in englesia. His pal finally found a taller chair and reached it. It stuck to my chair bottom so he welded it. I asked him "how much" and he said whatever I wanted to give him. So I handed him a $20 and he smiled showing me all 50 of his teeth...man, those folks have a lot of teeth.

So my chair is back under me and I will never take it for granted again. Do you and your chair have the same kind of harmony me and mine do? Think about it....do you respect and appreciate the chair you're sitting on?
huh_zps297f809f.png
It's Saturday ...... pleeeeeez ... it's Saturday .......... chairs, flags, fags, and an assortment of ..... of ............ of ......... of .......... nice to know information. ... I think last week was changing spark plugs in a Toyota I believe, or was that the week before? Has anyone got an old desk that needs refinishing?

• Banned
Breaking chairs is a sign that you need to go on a diet. ...... :cool:

I'm still in pretty good shape but I'm almost 68 and my metabolism has slowed to a crawl. So a diet is out of the question unless I switch to rabbit food. I just leaned back too far one too many times. :rolleyes-41:

Won in a raffle a Aeron desk chair made by Herman Miller that is very comfortable. Ergonomic design that allows you to adjust everything about it to a great fit. Told my brother who has back issues about it and he bought one and loves it, but they're not inexpensive. Think he paid about a grand for his.

• Banned
Won in a raffle a Aeron desk chair made by Herman Miller that is very comfortable. Ergonomic design that allows you to adjust everything about it to a great fit. Told my brother who has back issues about it and he bought one and loves it, but they're not inexpensive. Think he paid about a grand for his.

A great chair is one you can sit on for hours without discomfort....and that comes from the back and armrests being in correct proportion to each other, not the seat. When I reupholstered my chair I did put another inch of foam on the seat to compensate for the original being compressed down. Most folks pay little attention to their chair until they've worn it out like I did. The weld has held and my chair is like new again.

Forum List

Back