Do you feel gravity in SPACE !!!!

Quasar44

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 21, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
You watch movies and they often show star ships traveling in space and sometimes the crew experiences gravity and others times they are floating ( often the movies get it wrong).

If you are just coasting in SPACE ( at a constant speed) vs if you are accelerating in your space ship

Huge difference.
If you are coasting in space to a destination then you ARE IN FREE FALL !!!!!!!! Exact same FREE FALL as you would experience if you would jump out of an airplane

If you accelerate your spaceship then you are creating a FORCE. You now feel the g force because you are accelerating.
Hence you would feel a FORCE in your space ship and you would not be in FREE FALL

A freefall from a plane creates drag from the air. Moving your limbs isnt easy. Theres a lot of flopping around. You dont have that in space. When you coast in space, you feel nothing. You just float, even if you are moving a million miles an hour.

There IS however some gravity in space (thats how the planets spin around the sun), so you do feel acceleration. You are correct, you do have "g-forces" in space.

On a side note, you will often see futuristic space station designs or even spaceship designs with a giant hamster wheel. A giant wheel could mimic Earths gravity in space with "centrifugal force".

Last edited:
A freefall from a plane creates drag from the air. Moving your limbs isnt easy. Theres a lot of flopping around. You dont have that in space. When you coast in space, you feel nothing. You just float, even if you are moving a million miles an hour.

There IS however some gravity in space (thats how the planets spin around the sun), so you do feel acceleration. You are correct, you do have "g-forces" in space.

On a side note, you will often see futuristic space station designs or even spaceship designs with a giant hamster wheel. A giant wheel could mimic Earths gravity in space with "centrifugal force".

So you DO NOT ever feel gravity because its such a weak force that interacts on all molecules evenly ??

If you accelerate in space then you feel something ????

When you say coasting do you mean no engines and no acceleration

So you DO NOT ever feel gravity because its such a weak force that interacts on all molecules evenly ??

If you accelerate in space then you feel something ????

When you say coasting do you mean no engines and no acceleration
Yes, gravity is much weaker in space, and its pulling from multiple directions (from other planets and the sun), so you dont notice it. Youre just kind of in a soup of weak gravity, but its not even gravity. Something is always pulling harder than the rest, depending on what celestial body is closest to you, or how hard its gravitational pull is. It can vary quite a bit from moons, to planets, to stars, to black holes, etc..

If you speed up or slow down, you feel it in space.

Yes, coasting means no engines. You arent speeding up or slowing down.

Last edited:
I had a moment of shear brilliance and I posted
Happens every now and then

i'm sure that these relationships between force and acceleration can be expressed mathematically.

was your "moment of sheer brilliance" caused by an apple falling on your head? or maybe something heavier?

Yes, gravity is much weaker in space, and its pulling from multiple directions (from other planets and the sun), so you dont notice it. Youre just kind of in a soup of weak gravity, but its not even gravity. Something is always pulling harder than the rest, depending on what celestial body is closest to you, or how hard its gravitational pull is. It can vary quite a bit from moons, to planets, to stars, to black holes, etc..

If you speed up or slow down, you feel it in space.

fYes, coasting means no engines. You arent speeding up or slowing down.

Do you not feel gravity on EARTH???

Do you not feel gravity on EARTH???
Yes, you feel A LOT of gravity on Earth. The more mass an object has (the planets mass that is), the more gravity you feel. Thats why when you jump on Earth, you dont get very much height, but on the moon (which has much less mass) you can jump high and far. Once you get a certain distance from it, the gravity lessens. A hundred miles away from Earth you wont feel it, but on Earth you feel it a lot.

Yes, you feel A LOT of gravity on Earth. The more mass an object has (the planets mass that is), the more gravity you feel. Thats why when you jump on Earth, you dont get very much height, but on the moon (which has much less mass) you can jump high and far. Once you get a certain distance from it, the gravity lessens. A hundred miles away from Earth you wont feel it, but on Earth you feel it a lot.

So you feel gravity when you pick up items ??
IF I were to pick up a 40 pound dumbell vs. 10 pound dumbel. You can cleary see the grav strength ???

So you feel gravity when you pick up items ??
IF I were to pick up a 40 pound dumbell vs. 10 pound dumbel. You can cleary see the grav strength ???
No, you wouldnt feel a difference in any weight that you lift. You could push a floating man away from you using just your pinky.

No, you wouldnt feel a difference in any weight that you lift. You could push a floating man away from you using just your pinky.

I mean on EARTH. you are on earth and you pick up everyday objects ??

I mean on EARTH. you are on earth and you pick up everyday objects ??
Ohhh, yes. The object that you lift is basically being attracted to the planet like a magnet. The more mass the object has, the stronger the pull is towards Earth.

You watch movies and they often show star ships traveling in space and sometimes the crew experiences gravity and others times they are floating ( often the movies get it wrong).

If you are just coasting in SPACE ( at a constant speed) vs if you are accelerating in your space ship

Huge difference.
If you are coasting in space to a destination then you ARE IN FREE FALL !!!!!!!! Exact same FREE FALL as you would experience if you would jump out of an airplane

If you accelerate your spaceship then you are creating a FORCE. You now feel the g force because you are accelerating.
Hence you would feel a FORCE in your space ship and you would not be in FREE FALL
In the movies you watch the space ships artificial control of gravity and can maintain a steady 1 g at all times even while accelerating to warp speed or while in orbit around a planet.

It would be nice to have such advanced technology.

I had a moment of shear brilliance and I posted
Happens every now and then

This moment of shear brilliance is similiar to the moment when Albert Einstein was working in his patent office in Switzerland and imagined he will fall to the middle of the Earth and feel in this way no gravitation any longer. This made clear to him that gravitation and acceleration are indeed the same.

By the way: Since long long years I do not understand what we feel when we feel gravitation. If it is acceleration - then which motor uses what kind of energy? And if such a motor really should exist - what I doubt about - but should gravitaion not slowly become less powerful the less energy (¿which one?) is available? On the other side is gravity nothing else than the geometry of the 4 dimensional spacetime. But the space of the universe is flat in long distances. Why do we feel gravity - but nowherer is an energy pool which transforms the own energy into gravitation? What is my mistake when I try to think about this phenomenon?

Last edited:
Ok so if you jump out of a plane ???

you initally feel a huge force as you accelerate but once you reach terminal velocity you are in free fall ???
Its not a huge force as you accelerate in a freefall. You feel tremendous wind forces the whole way down, but that is different from g-forces. You arent going to really notice the g-force in a free fall because, its only 1 g-force and you will be met with tremendous air flow over your whole body at the same time.

It would be like trying to feel a q-tip being lighlty brushed against your skin while youre being sprayed with a flame thrower at the same time. The flame thrower is going to grab your attention, not the q-tip.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back