Do you believe in rehabilitation?

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by spectrumc01, Mar 11, 2011.

?

Do you believe in rehabilitation?

1. Yes, I believe in rehabilitation

7 vote(s)
    43.8%
  2. No, I don't believe in rehabilitation

8 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Yes, I believe, but only for crimes "I" want to forgive

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. spectrumc01

spectrumc01 I give you....the TRUTH

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +260
    Do we or do we not believe in rehabilitation? This should be the question at the root of all of our law and order discussions. This question would resolve all sorts of problems within our legal system, and would take all the questions out of sentecing. Rehabilitation should reflect our societal stance, perhaps a vote is in order? There is no point in saying you believe in rehabilitation and then holding past deeds against someone. For example, would you hire someone who has been convicted for embezzlement to work as a bank teller?, hire someone with a DUI as a driver?, or someone with an assault to work as a customer service representative?

I believe that as a society we don't believe in rehabilitation, and the proof is in our actions. The sexual predator list is a perfect example, followed by the non hireing of the embezzler, and DUI driver. Even the calls made to victims when their assailant is released; all of these prove that we don't believe in rehabilitation. There is nothing wrong with not believing in rehabilitation, or believing in rehabilitation. We just need to get consistant in our application of justice.

If we believe that criminals cannot be rehabilitated then why are we letting them out of prison? This would mean that we need to keep them locked up for life, costing us millions. It would seem that execution would be the logical step for criminals (all criminals of every crime), as we don't believe in rehabilitation.

If we do believe that they can be rehabilitated, then we need to start acting accordingly. Start by ending the sexual predator lists, and restrictions against these people as to where they can work and live. End the death penalty. End the calls to victims. Remove from applications the question, "have you ever been convicted of a crime?"

I hate hypocrites, and we are the most hypocritical society ever when it comes to our justice system. We need to decide once and for all, because the money spent on being indecisive is breaking the bank.

So the poll question is? Do you believe in rehabilitation?

2. R.D.

R.D. Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,375
    I don't care about it to be honest.

Punishment is the point of prison imo, rehabilitation would be nice but not the point.

3. Wry Catcher

Wry Catcher Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,144
    Our entire criminal justice/social service system is in failure; as usual prejudice (not necessarily racial) is the cause. The effect is a huge waste of money and humanity.

Elected officials/policy makers are the root cause of this failure and hope for rational non-political change has been piecemeal forever.

The solution is, in my not so humble opinion, the carrot and the stick.

Early intervention is a must; we can reduce crime and the cost of prisons twenty years from now, but the public wants and the policy makers promise immediate solutions. I'm going to withhold my ideas until later; first let the prejudices I noted be aired; then and only then a rational debate might be had.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    Frighteningly, I agree with Wry. I already did a thread about what I think we should do. For the record, I think the poll gives this a 'one thing or the other' attitude towards rehabilitation, which it is not. Some people can be rehabilitated, others cannot. So, I believe in rehabilitation, but am realistic enough to know that some people are beyond help.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  5. Midnight Marauder

Midnight Marauder BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,876
    It's case by case.

6. Skull Pilot

Skull Pilot Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,004
    Sorry but i don't give second chances to criminals.

You can rehabilitate all you want but I will never have a criminal work for me. They can't be trusted. Period.

7. spectrumc01

spectrumc01 I give you....the TRUTH

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +260
    So how do you determine which ones can be and which ones can't? Is it the person or the crime that makes that determination? And where does this thinking fit in relations to the sexual predators list and living/working conditions? Why isn't their a list for all crimes on the internet, don't people want to know if a thief or murderer lives in the neighborhood? Race does play a part in the legal system, but I don't believe that it plays that big a part.

8. westwall

westwall USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,683
    First off we have a legal system, not a justice system. There is very little justice meted out as that is too hard and the lawyers, judges, etc, oftimes don't care to do the work to ensure that justice is served.

Secondly we as a society have to realise that some people are not rehabable. Pedophiles will allways re-offend. Murderers will most likely re-offend. Some burglers will allways re-offend. You need to look at the individual very closely and determine whether it is even possible. Those that are possible I say give them a chance (no violent felons however should ever be let out of prison) I am talking about non violent offenders only.

9. Anachronism

Anachronism BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +231
    NO. Not at all. I do not believe in Rehabilitation of criminals in any means, manner, or form. Once you have proven that you have no respect for the law, I do not believe that you can ever be trusted again. You definitely cannot be trusted by ME ever again (if you even were in the first place).

10. JBeukema

JBeukema BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,705
    When you get robbed and shot in the gut, you have no right to complain about it. If you don't want to let a man earn an honest dollar, then you are to blame when he provides for himself and his family any way he can.

You are the reason the recidivism rate is so high.