Do We Need a Word for Everything?

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
shutterstock_172852223.jpg

Imagine walking through a forest near dusk. It is peaceful and quiet; the setting sun paints streaks of light through tree trunks and across your path. The scene is familiar to anyone who’s ever taken a walk in the woods.

Using one word, how would you describe the experience?

Hit me like a brick. How on earth WOULD I do it? Is there any possible word in English that could possibly describe the event?

You try to come up with one. I'm stuck and I'm positive the question will haunt me for a very long time.

That the question came up on a site dedicated to science surprised me. Discover is the home of ImageGeo and many other subsections. I recommend you take the time to read this and apply it to your own writing. It can be found @ Do We Need a Word for Everything? - The Crux

“Words and images are inextricably intertwined – if we have a word for something, the image is easier.”

Very cool article.Thanks!

Imagine walking through a forest near dusk. It is peaceful and quiet; the setting sun paints streaks of light through tree trunks and across your path. The scene is familiar to anyone who’s ever taken a walk in the woods.

Hit me like a brick. How on earth WOULD I do it? Is there any possible word in English that could possibly describe the event?

You try to come up with one. I'm stuck and I'm positive the question will haunt me for a very long time.

That the question came up on a site dedicated to science surprised me. Discover is the home of ImageGeo and many other subsections. I recommend you take the time to read this and apply it to your own writing. It can be found @ Do We Need a Word for Everything? - The Crux
I used to laugh at the dad in My Big Fat Greek Wedding with his rants about the Greek language. But later I learned it is true. Greek is the most complete language. They have words that takes you a sentence to communicate in English.

Yes, there is...sunrise. :)

'They' say a picture's worth a thousand words - It is a rare skill, painting a word picture using minimal brush strokes...

Forum List

Back