Do hyphenated-Americans contribute to racism?

So now you're an idiot.

Actually the links are to Google Books, where the originals may be read. That's not plagiarism; those are called "quotes". That's why the titles and authors are specified, and even linked. The translations are mine.

Might you have a point coming sometime soon or what?

Quoting you form post #178

What the conservatives like to do instead of debunking their enemies' assumptions, which are also supported by mass-media, is to try to find a way to throw an accusation back at them, even a ridiculous accusation based on a specious argument and a flimsy premise. (I believe that this preference for responding with accusations, rather than truth and reason, derives from the fact that staying on the attack means not having to clarify one's own position on touchy matters. For somebody trying to win a popularity contest in the short term, rather than inform and educate for the long term, it makes perfect sense to try to keep one's own positions obscure.) The legend that Leon Trotsky coined the word racist offers a basis for that kind of rhetoric. It seems a silly argument, but they will say something like, If you use the word racist then you are a bad person like Communist mass-murderer Leon Trotsky, because he invented that word!
Did Trotsky really invent that word? No, apparently not. The work in which Trotsky is supposed to have coined that word was written and published in Russian in 1930. I found several examples of the French form, raciste, preceding Trotsky's use of the word by far.

I find pensée raciste (French for “racist thought”) and individualité raciste (“racist individuality”) in the volume of La Terro d’oc: revisto felibrenco e federalisto (a periodical championing the cultural and ethnic identity of people in southern France) for the year 1906.

Je forme des voeux pour la réussité de vos projets, car je suis persuadé que, dans cette fédération des peuples de Langue d’Oc luttant pour leurs intérêts et l’émancipation de leur pensée raciste, le prestige de Toulouse trouvera son compte. (p. 101)

("I express my best wishes for the success of your projects, because I am convinced that, in the federation of the peoples of Langue d’Oc fighting for their interests and the emancipation of their racist thought, the prestige of Toulouse will stand to gain.)

Quoting the NAZI website:

What the conservatives like to do instead of debunking their enemies' assumptions, which are also supported by mass-media, is to try to find a way to throw an accusation back at them, even a ridiculous accusation based on a specious argument and a flimsy premise. (I believe that this preference for responding with accusations, rather than truth and reason, derives from the fact that staying on the attack means not having to clarify one's own position on touchy matters. For somebody trying to win a popularity contest in the short term, rather than inform and educate for the long term, it makes perfect sense to try to keep one's own positions obscure.) The legend that Leon Trotsky coined the word racist offers a basis for that kind of rhetoric. It seems a silly argument, but they will say something like, If you use the word racist then you are a bad person like Communist mass-murderer Leon Trotsky, because he invented that word!

Did Trotsky really invent that word? No, apparently not. The work in which Trotsky is supposed to have coined that word was written and published in Russian in 1930. I found several examples of the French form, raciste, preceding Trotsky's use of the word by far.

I find pensée raciste (French for “racist thought”) and individualité raciste (“racist individuality”) in the volume of La Terro d’oc: revisto felibrenco e federalisto (a periodical championing the cultural and ethnic identity of people in southern France) for the year 1906. Here the word racist was used without a hint of negativity:

Je forme des voeux pour la réussité de vos projets, car je suis persuadé que, dans cette fédération des peuples de Langue d’Oc luttant pour leurs intérêts et l’émancipation de leur pensée raciste, le prestige de Toulouse trouvera son compte. (p. 101)

TRANSLATION: I express my best wishes for the success of your projects, because I am convinced that, in the federation of the peoples of Langue d’Oc fighting for their interests and the emancipation of their racist thought, the prestige of Toulouse will benefit.
The differences between what you "wrote" and the NAZI text is that you've combined some paragraphs together and you've omitted the red texted word Translation. Otherwise what you claim as your own writing is what is found on this Nazi website.

So now you're an idiot.

Actually the links are to Google Books, where the originals may be read. That's not plagiarism; those are called "quotes". That's why the titles and authors are specified, and even linked. The translations are mine.

I find pensée raciste (French for “racist thought”) and individualité raciste (“racist individuality”) in the volume of La Terro d’oc: revisto felibrenco e federalisto (a periodical championing the cultural and ethnic identity of people in southern France) for the year 1906.

("I express my best wishes for the success of your projects, because I am convinced that, in the federation of the peoples of Langue d’Oc fighting for their interests and the emancipation of their racist thought, the prestige of Toulouse will stand to gain.)

I find pensée raciste (French for “racist thought”) and individualité raciste (“racist individuality”) in the volume of La Terro d’oc: revisto felibrenco e federalisto (a periodical championing the cultural and ethnic identity of people in southern France) for the year 1906. Here the word racist was used without a hint of negativity:

TRANSLATION: I express my best wishes for the success of your projects, because I am convinced that, in the federation of the peoples of Langue d’Oc fighting for their interests and the emancipation of their racist thought, the prestige of Toulouse will benefit.​
The differences between what you "wrote" and the NAZI text is that you've combined some paragraphs together and you've omitted the red texted word Translation. Otherwise what you claim as your own writing is what is found on this Nazi website.

I am compelled to reiterate; you're a giant idiot.

I used to live in France; I'm fluent and I do my own translating. And again, I did not claim the originals as "my writing"; I named the writers and the works and linked them.

Do the Google links go to the books quoted, or do they not? Are they faithful copies of the text in the books, or are they not? And do those passages offer a glimpse into variant uses of the word racism through the years --- or do they not?

And do you in fact have anything whatsoever to add to this?

The point of all that is exploring the changing meaning of the term racism over the last century-plus, as alluded to earlier today.

That's my point. What's yours? Can you even articulate one?

Exactly.

Last edited:
So now you're an idiot.

TRANSLATION: I express my best wishes for the success of your projects, because I am convinced that, in the federation of the peoples of Langue d’Oc fighting for their interests and the emancipation of their racist thought, the prestige of Toulouse will benefit.​

I am compelled to reiterate; you're a giant idiot.

I used to live in France; I'm fluent and I do my own translating. And again, I did not claim the originals as "my writing"; I named the writers and the works and linked them.

Do the Google links go to the books quoted, or do they not? Are they faithful copies of the text in the books, or are they not?

The point of all that is exploring the changing meaning of the term racism over the last century-plus, as alluded to earlier today.

That's my point. What's yours? Can you even articulate one?

Exactly.

You "wrote" the following in first person:

I find pensée raciste (French for “racist thought”) and individualité raciste (“racist individuality”) in the volume of La Terro d’oc: revisto felibrenco e federalisto (a periodical championing the cultural and ethnic identity of people in southern France) for the year 1906 . . .​

The NAZI website has the very same text as well as everything else I referenced above plus more at the site. Look both you and the NAZI website even have the same parenthetical comment.

I find pensée raciste (French for “racist thought”) and individualité raciste (“racist individuality”) in the volume of La Terro d’oc: revisto felibrenco e federalisto (a periodical championing the cultural and ethnic identity of people in southern France) for the year 1906.​

The links to the books aren't what I'm talking about, I'm focusing on the plagiarism. Granted, you fixed things up a bit here and there, added some links which weren't in the NAZI text.

When you wrote "I find pensée raciste . . " that's not actually you writing that, now is it?

It's copied from a previous post, that's why.
So you have no point. The books are accurately quoted and accurately linked. You have no comment whatsoever on the topic. All you have is an onanistic bandwidth burn.

On to Ignore you go.

Rik, I'm sorry but I believe you're fishing off the wrong pier.

At worst, Pogo created a form faux pas by not properly denoting the beginning & ending of cited work.

At worst, Pogo created a form faux pas by not properly denoting the beginning & ending of cited work.

I put the quotes in italics and the translations straight up. Thought that would suffice -- if the fact that they're in two different languages wasn't a clue.

No worries, this guy is notorious for coming on with a clusterfuck of point fragments that he can't pull together. I'm gonna call him Humpty Dumpty.

I put the quotes in italics and the translations straight up. Thought that would suffice -- if the fact that they're in two different languages wasn't a clue.

No worries, this guy is notorious for coming on with a clusterfuck of point fragments that he can't pull together. I'm gonna call him Humpty Dumpty.

I get what you're saying. A lot of people use italics and bold indiscriminately, however.

You might consider posting cited work in quote tags or separated from original content in another way.

Just a thought.

I'm willing to apologize if I made an unwarranted accusation but I don't see it. I followed all of his links, including the one to his previous post. Not one link has the phrase: "There is an urban legend that has been floating around . . "

That's where his plagiarism begins. This phrase is not found in his NPR link, it's not found in the OED link.

Look, the dude wanted to play rough, so I'm not prepared to back down until he explains how the NAZI website has the exact same text HE CLAIMS HE WROTE. If the error is on my part, in that the text is found on one of the links he provided, then he'll get an apology from me.

I don't believe that this is a formatting error.

I'm willing to apologize if I made an unwarranted accusation but I don't see it. I followed all of his links, including the one to his previous post. Not one link has the phrase: "There is an urban legend that has been floating around . . "

That's where his plagiarism begins. This phrase is not found in his NPR link, it's not found in the OED link.

Look, the dude wanted to play rough, so I'm not prepared to back down until he explains how the NAZI website has the exact same text HE CLAIMS HE WROTE. If the error is on my part, in that the text is found on one of the links he provided, then he'll get an apology from me.

You have a point about the urban legend paragraph. That's on a blog.

Pogo, if that paragraph is also in the book, would you mind providing the page number, please?

Pogo, if that paragraph is also in the book, would you mind providing the page number, please?

That will be quite a feat. One book was published in 1906 and the other in 1897 and the Trotsky event happened in 1930. How either of these two books could predict what Trotsky would write in the future is puzzling. Unless we have time travelers involved, like this woman using a cell phone in a 1920s Charlie Chaplin movie.

time-traveler-can-you-hear-me-now.jpg

I get what you're saying. A lot of people use italics and bold indiscriminately, however.

You might consider posting cited work in quote tags or separated from original content in another way.

Just a thought.

There's no point; it was clear enough.

The citation was all about early and morphing uses of the word racism; it's got nothing to do with "Nazis". Nazis weren't even invented yet. He has nothing to say on the actual topic and can't articulate what his point is, so -- fuck him. The whole thing was intended for another poster anyway; this guy is just wasting my time.

Just a thought.

The citation was all about early and morphing uses of the word racism; it's got nothing to do with "Nazis". Nazis weren't even invented yet. He has nothing to say on the actual topic and can't articulate what his point is, so -- fuck him. The whole thing was intended for another poster anyway; this guy is just wasting my time.

Getting to the root of a plagiarism accusation isn't a waste of time. Why is the text you claim you wrote, beginning with the phrase "There is an urban legend that has been floating around for some years now, .. ." and continuing on to the end of your post identical to the text on that Nazi website? If you're too frightened to answer me directly, then answer the question House put to you.

You wanted to play rough, so don't run away now. Don't you want to see me apologize to you? Wouldn't that be sweet? Just show us where in the links of your post the text you copied can be found and then you'll get my apology.

What paragraph? The quotations were from the books cited and the liniks go right to those pages. All of that was, again, a copy of a post I made last week. I stripped out the "quote" function here so it wouldn't go all italics -- which would have made the quotes less distinguishable. Whatever was in last weeks post is in there. None of it has jack squat to do with "Nazis", which demonstrably did not even exist in 1897 or 1902. Or 1906.

None of which is the point at all --- It's a simple citation of a couple of books to examine the term racism -- which is the topic in this thread. And I have never claimed to have written either of them. I was not even alive in 1906. The poster's a freaking nutjob. This is getting to the Special Ed surreal level. :cuckoo:

I'll entertain further from Mathbud, the OP or any reasonable soul who wishes to debate the actual topic. This Rhizome guy is a troll trying desperately to derail the thread.

Last edited:

What paragraph? The quotations were from the books cited and the liniks go right to those pages. All of that was, again, a copy of a post I made last week. I stripped out the "quote" function here so it wouldn't go all italics -- which would have made the quotes less distinguishable. Whatever was in last weeks post is in there. None of it has jack squat to do with "Nazis", which demonstrably did not even exist in 1897 or 1902. Or 1906.

None of which is the point at all --- It's a simple citation of a couple of books to examine the term racism -- which is the topic in this thread. And I have never claimed to have written either of them. I was not even alive in 1906. The poster's a freaking nutjob. This is getting to the Special Ed surreal level. :cuckoo:

I'll entertain further from Mathbud, the OP or any reasonable soul who wishes to debate the actual topic. This Rhizome guy is a troll trying desperately to derail the thread.

Do you claim that this is your writing ""There is an urban legend that has been floating around for some years now, .. ." and that everything below this text is your writing?

Please, enough with this innocence routine of purposely misinterpreting what I and House are asking you. We're being clear. Our focus is not on the french text or it's translation, it's on the REST of the text, beginning with the quote (in the above paragraph) in italics and continuing on through the remainder of your post. Did you write that? WIll you admit to plagiarizing and so put an end to your embarrassment?

Pogo said:

Rikurzhen said:

Just a thought.

Pogo said:

Rikurzhen said:
Getting to the root of a plagiarism accusation isn't a waste of time. Why is the text you claim you wrote, beginning with the phrase "There is an urban legend that has been floating around for some years now, .. ." and continuing on to the end of your post identical to the text on that Nazi website? If you're too frightened to answer me directly, then answer the question House put to you.

You wanted to play rough, so don't run away now. Don't you want to see me apologize to you? Wouldn't that be sweet? Just show us where in the links of your post the text you copied can be found and then you'll get my apology.

It's what the legendary Pogo does, see:

Traipse into a thread hurling the most egregiously childish of insults, only later in the same thread to whine like a BITCH that somebody's giving him three or four disagrees for his horribly pathetic jokes.

The sad truth for Pogo is that he's a fraud who can't write anything of his own to save his ass.

I'm not the least bit surprised to see this little conversation taking shape, with Pogo's being outed as a plagiarist.

Pogo said:

Rikurzhen said:

Just a thought.

Pogo said:

Rikurzhen said:

It's what the legendary Pogo does, see:

Traipse into a thread hurling the most egregiously childish of insults, only later in the same thread to whine like a BITCH that somebody's giving him three or four disagrees for his horribly pathetic jokes.

The sad truth for Pogo is that he's a fraud who can't write anything of his own to save his ass.

I'm not the least bit surprised to see this little conversation taking shape, with Pogo's being outed as a plagiarist.

What's "plagiarized", tampon boy? Can one plagiarize oneself? Maybe if you're John Fogerty...
Guess what Einstein; when I quote myself it's still my own writin'. Who knew.

The specific literary references have yet to be challenged, so they stand unmolested. And revealingly they still stand undiscussed. A troll found the same citations somewhere else and he's hung up on shiny objects of his own Googlin'.

"Keep on Googin'" -- John Fogerty :lol:

I must say it was one of the more bizarre deflections I've ever seen, a poster trying to call another poster a "Nazi" for citing books from 1897 to 1906 -- long before Nazis ever existed, before even World War One started. Yeah that makes sense. :cuckoo:

Still butthurt that you thought Iron Maiden invented the triplet are we?
rofl.gif

What a maroon.

Last edited:
I am a white anglo-saxon male, to libs that makes me racist from birth

What's "plagiarized", tampon boy? Can one plagiarize oneself? Maybe if you're John Fogerty...

I copied my own post from a week ago, that's all it is. The specific literary references have yet to be challenged, so they stand unmolested. And revealingly they still stand undiscussed. A troll found the same reference somewhere else and he's hung up on shiny objects.

I must say it was one of the more bizarre deflections I've ever seen, a poster trying to call another poster a "Nazi" for citing books from 1897 to 1906 -- long before Nazis ever existed, before even World War One started. Yeah that makes sense. :cuckoo:

rofl.gif

What a maroon.

Awwwwww, did widdle Pogo get his feewings hurt now?

Is he gonna whine now about people disliking his horribly crap-ass jokes?

Will he plagiarize someone else's work, just to try to make himself sound smarter than he really is?

We're on to you, you little whiny plagiarizing punk bitch.

Look out.

I copied my own post from a week ago, that's all it is. The specific literary references have yet to be challenged, so they stand unmolested. And revealingly they still stand undiscussed. A troll found the same reference somewhere else and he's hung up on shiny objects.

rofl.gif

What a maroon.

Awwwwww, did widdle Pogo get his feewings hurt now?

Is he gonna whine now about people disliking his horribly crap-ass jokes?

Will he plagiarize someone else's work, just to try to make himself sound smarter than he really is?

We're on to you, you little whiny plagiarizing punk bitch.

Look out.

Lift a finger and break a synapse sweat to the citation itself; there's a link back to the post where it came from. Dumbass.

Dismissed.

Forum List

Back