Do hyphenated-Americans contribute to racism?

If words DO exist without context, then you have no complaint about "African American". Can't have it both ways; either they have context, or they do not.

"African-American" is not an accurate description of black people. 99% of black people in the US have no more connection to Africa than I do. Oh and besides that, there are white people in Africa too, so there's a ton of reasons the word is just PC bullshit.

"Black" is an accurate description - well, unless you want to split hairs and make the argument that black people are brown. Still a hell of a lot more accurate than African-American.

So no, there doesn't need to be context to object to the ridiculous term, "African-American".

Frankly, when some pretentious prick says "African-American", I hear, "jungle bunny". When people say, "black (man, woman, person, etc)", I think Tyrese, Lawanda, Sam, Paulette, Edward, Lamonte, etc.

"Accuracy" has never the point

Precisely the problem!

Libtard logic: "Better to call somebody something that isn't even vaguely descriptive of who they are, thereby creating a lie about them in order to create a false sense of offensiveness for previously used terms which are actually descriptive of them."

Let's apply your PC logic to you, Pogo.

You are no longer a man. Men are brutish boors. You are now a gecko. Geckos are cute and make wonderful car insurance commercials. You must now get offended when someone refers to your gender, as you no longer identify with your masculinity.

MAKES COMPLETE SENSE!

See what I mean? "Libtard"?
Are you unable to engage in simple analysis without the personal soap opera? Is that where you live?
As long as one party can't keep his head on straight, no discussion can progress.

If words DO exist without context, then you have no complaint about "African American". Can't have it both ways; either they have context, or they do not.

"African-American" is not an accurate description of black people. 99% of black people in the US have no more connection to Africa than I do. Oh and besides that, there are white people in Africa too, so there's a ton of reasons the word is just PC bullshit.

"Black" is an accurate description - well, unless you want to split hairs and make the argument that black people are brown. Still a hell of a lot more accurate than African-American.

So no, there doesn't need to be context to object to the ridiculous term, "African-American".

Frankly, when some pretentious prick says "African-American", I hear, "jungle bunny". When people say, "black (man, woman, person, etc)", I think Tyrese, Lawanda, Sam, Paulette, Edward, Lamonte, etc.

"Accuracy" has never the point

Precisely the problem!

Libtard logic: "Better to call somebody something that isn't even vaguely descriptive of who they are, thereby creating a lie about them in order to create a false sense of offensiveness for previously used terms which are actually descriptive of them."

Let's apply your PC logic to you, Pogo.

You are no longer a man. Men are brutish boors. You are now a gecko. Geckos are cute and make wonderful car insurance commercials. You must now get offended when someone refers to your gender, as you no longer identify with your masculinity.

MAKES COMPLETE SENSE!

See what I mean? "Libtard"?
Are you unable to engage in simple analysis without the personal soap opera? Is that where you live?
As long as one party can't keep his head on straight, no discussion can progress.

Are you done ducking my points and justifying my terms?

Thaks for playin'. Give it some thought next time.

You've successfully deflected to a place miles away from my original point, the damage being done to American blacks.

Miles.

Standard operating procedure for, "you folks".

"Playin'", indeed.

You didn't have a point. You jumped on mine and tried to hijack it using a blanket generalization.
Let me make it even simpler:
Don't do that.

I don't really know what you're talking about, but I realize you don't want to defend the "caring" and the "empathy" you're inflicting on blacks, so we can drop it.

What you can drop is your blanket generalization fallacies, even if you can't own up to committing them. You just did it again -- bolded above.

All of this was about how the term works ---- not about how anyone "feels" about it, let alone fantasies of what "you folks are doing" out in some fantasy. This is about the past, not the present.

Do terms like African-American, Asian-American, Muslim-American, etc. contribute to racism? I believe they do. Rather than making people out to be something other than a regular ol' "American" hyphenated forms seem to highlight how they're somehow different. Only time you should hyphenate yourself is if you have dual citizenship. But unless an African-American is also a citizen of an African country, or is a naturalized American citizen born elsewhere, just say you're "American." All well and good to be proud of your ancestry, but there are other ways to do that.

If we stopped putting people into different categories,counting head s and skin color,and just called everyone Americans,we would be way better off.

Do terms like African-American, Asian-American, Muslim-American, etc. contribute to racism? I believe they do. Rather than making people out to be something other than a regular ol' "American" hyphenated forms seem to highlight how they're somehow different. Only time you should hyphenate yourself is if you have dual citizenship. But unless an African-American is also a citizen of an African country, or is a naturalized American citizen born elsewhere, just say you're "American." All well and good to be proud of your ancestry, but there are other ways to do that.

If we stopped putting people into different categories,counting head s and skin color,and just called everyone Americans,we would be way better off.

Gotta have obtuse labels in order to dictate what a person thinks about someone, brudder man!

I have "ducked" no points. You're not listening.

LJZfc.gif

By analogy -- one of us (A) is talking about the mechanism and design behind how an Uzi works, while the other (B) wants to babble about how evil killing is.

B would be you.

Maybe that's what Mathbud was trying to get at, I dunno. But I agree with the way it's put here- that's why I've never checked a survey or census form that asks for "race".

By analogy -- one of us (A) is talking about the mechanism and design behind how an Uzi works, while the other (B) wants to babble about how evil killing is.

B would be you.

Nice try, but you're still obviously oblivious.

Unfortunately for you, I'm not. Any proclaimed "mechanism" is thinly veiled rationalization for using an unnecessary fabrication.

Here, let me break it down for you in terms you can understand...

Allow me to play doubles advocate here for a moment. For all intensive purposes I think you are wrong. In an age where false morals are a diamond dozen, true virtues are a blessing in the skies. We often put our false morality on a petal stool like a bunch of pre-Madonnas, but you seem to be taking something very valuable for granite. So I ask of you to mustard up all the strength you can because it is a doggy dog world out there. Although there is some merit to what you are saying it seems like you have a huge ship on your shoulder. In your argument you seem to throw everything in but the kids Nsync, and even though you are having a feel day with this I am here to bring you back into realty. I have a sick sense when it comes to these types of things. It is almost spooky, because I cannot turn a blonde eye to these glaring flaws in your rhetoric. I have zero taller ants when it comes to people spouting out hate in the name of moral righteousness. You just need to remember what comes around is all around, and when supply and command fails you will be the first to go.

Make my words, when you get down to brass stacks it doesn't take rocket surgery to get two birds stoned at once. It's clear who makes the pants in this relationship, and sometimes you just have to swallow your prize and accept the facts. You might have to come to this conclusion through denial and error but I swear on my mother's mating name that when you put the petal to the medal you will pass with flying carpets like it’s a piece of pie.

(Stolen from Facebook with a couple corrections made)

B would be you.

Unfortunately for you, I'm not. Any proclaimed "mechanism" is thinly veiled rationalization for using an unnecessary fabrication.

Allow me to play doubles advocate here for a moment. For all intensive purposes I think you are wrong. In an age where false morals are a diamond dozen, true virtues are a blessing in the skies. We often put our false morality on a petal stool like a bunch of pre-Madonnas, but you seem to be taking something very valuable for granite. So I ask of you to mustard up all the strength you can because it is a doggy dog world out there. Although there is some merit to what you are saying it seems like you have a huge ship on your shoulder. In your argument you seem to throw everything in but the kids Nsync, and even though you are having a feel day with this I am here to bring you back into realty. I have a sick sense when it comes to these types of things. It is almost spooky, because I cannot turn a blonde eye to these glaring flaws in your rhetoric. I have zero taller ants when it comes to people spouting out hate in the name of moral righteousness. You just need to remember what comes around is all around, and when supply and command fails you will be the first to go.

Make my words, when you get down to brass stacks it doesn't take rocket surgery to get two birds stoned at once. It's clear who makes the pants in this relationship, and sometimes you just have to swallow your prize and accept the facts. You might have to come to this conclusion through denial and error but I swear on my mother's mating name that when you put the petal to the medal you will pass with flying carpets like it’s a piece of pie.

I love it. :up:

Look dood, if you think you're gonna get on my good side by posting a bunch of cheap puns, you're absolutely right.

B would be you.

Look dood, if you think you're gonna get on my good side by posting a bunch of cheap puns, you're absolutely right.

I don't know the guy that wrote that (he posted it on a friend's timeline), but after reading his comment I strongly considered friending him just to hunt down similar content from him.

Duck Dodger to the rescue! :rolleyes:

Thanks for coming out.

Oh look, a PeeWee Herman response. That wasn't at all predictable!

Hey, if you don't want snarkback, don't post snark. :dunno:

Variants of "I know you are, but what am I" don't qualify as snark, as the original source of such remarks is 20 years old.

More etymology then--
Pee Wee didn't invent that term. His whole schtick in using it was that it was already trite.

And that wasn't the snark; that was the snarkback. The snark was your'n. For every reaction haveth an equal and opposite reaction. When I'm involved some reactions are more equal than others. :eusa_shifty:

I don't know the guy that wrote that (he posted it on a friend's timeline), but after reading his comment I strongly considered friending him just to hunt down similar content from him.

Ah, you don't need to; I put that out for free here on a daily bay, sis.

See, this is where you should go check out Pogo (the comic strip). It wood give you addle east wan insight to where I come up wit it.

Your entire posting persona is to duck points. Look at how you're still ducking the plagiarism point - you won't tell anyone which website you plagiarized.

One can't tell what does not exist. :dunno:

Oh by the way I fluoridated your water too.

Wackjob.

Forum List

Back