mudwhistle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2009
Headmaster's Office, Hogwarts
August 21, 2014
Just What Is an Unarmed Man?
By Russ Vaughn

Much of black America and the liberal media are making a huge issue of the Ferguson shooting of an unarmed black man by a white police officer. We are being treated to endless live reports of rioting and looting, some of them detailing inflows of black and leftist agitators from around the country to keep the Ferguson opportunity hot and in full media focus. All of this comes out of a neighborhood shooting where, if the parties involved had their races reversed, the incident would have been merely local.

But what amazes me is the justification for all this upheaval: that a white police officer shot an unarmed black youth. I’m a white man who many decades ago was a military policeman – one who had frequent encounters with unarmed young black soldiers who all too frequently vigorously resisted arrest. Except that they weren’t unarmed for the simple reason that they were young and strong and possessed quick fighting reflexes honed on the hard streets where they were raised. Quite often they were larger than me or my partner, who also quite often was black – not that this racial relationship often meant anything at all to the perps we were trying to detain. And once detained, their usual fate was that we took them back to Fort Campbell and released them in the parking lots of their barracks without filing charges. It was not our mission to bring young soldiers more grief; the lives of enlisted soldiers were already hard enough back in the late '50s. What we did try to do was to save them from their own bad actions.

But occasionally we did come upon a subject whose size and aggressive militancy required stronger measures, such as the judicious application of a nightstick. In those situations, did I ever fear for my life? Damned straight I did. Facing a much larger man, both in height and weight, who is determined not to be detained, you are praying that he’ll come to his senses and submit to arrest. Your gun is there at your side, but that is the last thing you want to introduce into such an encounter. But – and that is a very large but – that call is his.

And that is where I have tried to place myself in that officer’s situation in Ferguson.

The officer has a seriously damaged eye from a very hard, crushing shot from a very large fist. That indicates that the perp in this situation had the opportunity to throw at least one clearly damaging punch at the officer and effectively connect before the officer even could exit his vehicle. The severity of the damage to the officer’s eye and cheekbone indicates what could be expected from a sucker-punch from a 6’4” almost 300-pound assailant. And because I’ve been there and done that as a young man, there lies my problem with this media meme of the assailant being unarmed. The shoulders and arms of a 6’4” 300-pound man driving a large clinched fist render that fist a lethal weapon. Ask anyone who’s ever been on the receiving end of one. People are regularly beaten to death all around the world by such fists. Add to that the widespread availability of martial arts training in today’s society, and you can never be sure that any human you go up against doesn’t possess the ability to kill you with his bare hands, regardless of size.

And that, folks, constitutes a deadly threat against one’s person, which in most states nowadays justifies a deadly, defensive counter-response, whether you be a civilian or a law enforcement officer. Confronted by such a threat from any person – black white, brown, whatever – I’m going to defend myself with whatever means I have. If that means is a handgun, then I will discharge that handgun into that large oncoming mass, and I will continue to discharge that handgun until that large threatening mass is no longer oncoming and is very decidedly unthreatening. If that means dead, so be it, no matter how many times his family assures me he was a “good boy.”

Now, I ask you, what is not commonsense about that?

So, those of you so quick to condemn this Ferguson police officer for shooting an unarmed man might want to put yourselves in that scenario and wonder just what you might do with an exceptionally large, very angry, violently threatening man charging toward you with unknown intentions – plus the certain ability, by virtue of his size, to do you grave injury, even to beat you to death with nothing more than his large, hard fists.

Articles: Just What Is an Unarmed Man?

Cop was an expert marksman. He first shot the charging perp's outer extremeties. The closer the large oncoming mass approached, the deadlier his aim.

The inside forearms of a running person are the target of a "bum rushing" person, not a person "with his hands up".

Good cop defeats bad guy.

Case dismissed.

So now with this article proclaiming that being armed means having hands, we're all fucked....we can be killed by cops now at anytime and for anything....

Actually, you guys on the left can't seem to use common-sense, so it has to be brought to your attention.

You're literally supporting criminals when they attack our police officers.

Your problem is you've been watching too much television and you think it's reality. In the real world most cops are respectable members of the community and you all think they're crooked.

So now with this article proclaiming that being armed means having hands, we're all fucked....we can be killed by cops now at anytime and for anything....

Actually, you guys on the left can't seem to use common-sense, so it has to be brought to your attention.

Your problem is you've been watching too much television and you think it's reality. In the real world most cops are respectable members of the community and you all think they're crooked.

I think the question is....at what point does a police officer say....I win

The first shot? Second? Sixth, seventh, eighth?

At what point was the officer in control of the situation?

I think the question is....at what point does a police officer say....I win

The first shot? Second? Sixth, seventh, eighth?

At what point was the officer in control of the situation?
When the threat stops moving.

We have been told so many lies about this incident, it is hard to make any conclusions.

The old media is obviously invested in reporting untruths to fit their political beliefs.

We were told firstly, that Brown was shot in the back...then he had his hands up....then he was running away from the cop....and so on....lies all lies...

Hey, if you have a wallet, you are armed and can be shot 41 times! At least if you are black and armed with a deadly wallet.

tumblr_n17ahjXOpC1qgb91fo1_400.jpg

Summing up the liberal brain fart circular thinking on this.

All white cops are racists so every black shot is innocent because the cop was racist. The system is so racist that no white cop has ever been investigated and punished for abuse and the lack of black cops is due to racism. Finally no one on the right cares because we too are racist haters

I don't watch TV...I personally know cops, a deputy sheriff lives right down the road from me, I've had a personal relationship since I met him as a contractor and I was subcontracting, There is one difference.He hasn't let his position go to his head...

Summing up the liberal brain fart circular thinking on this.

All white cops are racists so every black shot is innocent because the cop was racist. The system is so racist that no white cop has ever been investigated and punished for abuse and the lack of black cops is due to racism. Finally no one on the right cares because we too are racist haters

You don't speak for myself and again when you assume, you get it wrong...

I don't watch TV...I personally know cops, a deputy sheriff lives right down the road from me, I've had a personal relationship since I met him as a contractor and I was subcontracting, There is one difference.He hasn't let his position go to his head...
And you've never watched a movie either.

This is the biggest pot of bullshit I've ever read.

First off the police aren't "regular" citizens and they've received training in unarmed combat. One of the first things most cops are told is that they are not out there to "fight fair". They should not be confronting "dangerous" individuals alone and should always request backup.

Cops are out there to protect and serve. They aren't there as a proving grounds for their martial prowess. And they will be in situations with people at the worst possible point in life. It behooves them to respect that, respect all life, remember they are there to keep the peace and order.

yes, I have, and i also worked as security at night clubs for 27 years and was able to subdue drunk men larger than myself without killing a one...

This is the biggest pot of bullshit I've ever read.

First off the police aren't "regular" citizens and they've received training in unarmed combat. One of the first things most cops are told is that they are not out there to "fight fair". They should not be confronting "dangerous" individuals alone and should always request backup.

Cops are out there to protect and serve. They aren't there as a proving grounds for their martial prowess. And they will be in situations with people at the worst possible point in life. It behooves them to respect that, respect all life, remember they are there to keep the peace and order.

Hate to tell you this but shit happens.

He was calling for backup when Gentle Mr Michael Brown sucker-punched him.

I suppose while the kid was trying to grab his gun and murder him to escape apprehension for a strong-arm robbery minutes prior to the attack, he should have just said that's okay, we don't want to disturb the peace and tranquility of the neighborhood. Meanwhile the officer was fighting for his life.

That kid was dangerous and letting him go was not an option.

Leftist thinking:

White cop shoots and kills black man. Cop is guilty of murder....without question....

case closed before any investigation..and the old media spreads lies to generate the result they want.

yes, I have, and i also worked as security at night clubs for 27 years and was able to subdue drunk men larger than myself without killing a one...
Do they let you carry a gun?

Did you have fellow bouncers ready to back you up?

You've never been sucker-punched either I suppose?

Bouncing is quite a bit different from law enforcement BTW.

Your job is to prevent trouble before it happens. Cops usually are reacting to trouble calls.v

Last edited:

Forum List

Back