do gangster rappers hate the black community?

Scarface, I think you have posted about a valid topic. I am interested in the effects of all media on society, because I am a mom, and because I believe that effect is huge and often negative.

I also agree with the poster who said rap generally degrades women and highlights street violence. That may not be true of all rap, I would not know, but most the videos I do catch a glimpse of as I surf the TV channels surely do.

I do wonder why a guy with the screen name Scarface would have a problem with any form of gangsta entertainment. :confused: Perhaps you can explain.

Anyway, welcome to the board.

Nuc said:
OK here's why I don't like it. The music is produced by machines, not humans. The "vocalizing" is unmelodic and the tone of voice is monotonous. The subject matter of the lyrics is irrelevant unless you live in the ghetto or in some way identify with that lifestyle, which I don't. It advocates violence and degrades women, two things I don't relate to. And every time I have seen it performed live it has been some sad specimens screaming along with a DAT machine and taking up time and space that could be used by musicians.

Maybe those are bad reasons, but they are my reasons.

The bold part is right on. Music is to be made by musicians, not machines.

The ClayTaurus said:
An electric guitar is a machine. So is your electric bass.

Those kinds of machines are called "instruments". They don't make music just by plugging them in and pressing a button.

It's a labor issue. If the average blues or Motown band had a drummer, a bass player, two guitarists, a keyboardist and a horn section, and a rap band has a DAT deck and a drum machine, that's a lot of musicians out of work.

And if the music sucks as well that makes it even worse.

Nuc said:
Those kinds of machines are called "instruments". They don't make music just by plugging them in and pressing a button.

It's a labor issue. If the average blues or Motown band had a drummer, a bass player, two guitarists, a keyboardist and a horn section, and a rap band has a DAT deck and a drum machine, that's a lot of musicians out of work.

have you ever programmed a drum machine?

Nuc said:
Neither do synthesizers, keyboards, drum machines, etc. etc. etc.
Nuc said:

I don't disagree that there is shitty rap out there, but that doesn't mean that all of it is, or even a vast majority of it is. I do agree completely with your disapproval of the reduction of music programs in schools. The general public has a very low musical IQ. Have you ever heard of the Roots?

Nuc said:
Yes of course I have, for demos. Then when I made the record I hired a drummer, because it sounds better and it's the right thing to do.

So then of COURSE there was work involved. You didn't just plug the thing in, did you? Would you be defending the horse and carriage because the automobile was 'too easy'??

The ClayTaurus said:
Neither do synthesizers, keyboards, drum machines, etc. etc. etc.I don't disagree that there is shitty rap out there, but that doesn't mean that all of it is, or even a vast majority of it is. I do agree completely with your disapproval of the reduction of music programs in schools. The general public has a very low musical IQ. Have you ever heard of the Roots?

Actually a lot of composers and musicians are using GarageBand by Apple which generates backing tracks basically by itself. Then they add some lyrics and there you have it.

I like the sound of musicians playing.

I've seen the Roots play. Why?

My 2 cents worth. No debate cuz I’ll never change my opinion, I know I’m right. :thup:
"Rap" is noise, nothing more, and should never be used in the same sentence as “Music”. WHOOPS. :laugh:

Mr. P said:
My 2 cents worth. No debate cuz I’ll never change my opinion, I know I’m right. :thup:
"Rap" is noise, nothing more, and should never be used in the same sentence as “Music”. WHOOPS. :laugh:
Ok gramps ;)

Nuc said:
Actually a lot of composers and musicians are using GarageBand by Apple which generates backing tracks basically by itself. Then they add some lyrics and there you have it.

I like the sound of musicians playing.

I've seen the Roots play. Why?
I think we could go on all day about the state of pop music.

Did you like the Roots?

dmp said:
So then of COURSE there was work involved. You didn't just plug the thing in, did you? Would you be defending the horse and carriage because the automobile was 'too easy'??

Maybe I should take a look at the Billboard Top 200 and see what kind of music is selling. I think there is room for any and all kinds of music and processes for making that music. My personal taste differs from that of the public. I like instrumental music. I like music that is played live and recorded live. I like arrangements that use a variety of instruments. I like a lot of acoustic sounds.

At times I like other things as well.

I just seems to me that there is an overpreponderance of synthetic music created by one or two people and a few machines. For my taste it is overrepresented in the marketplace. And I think it's because people are too casual about what they expect from music. It's the musical equivalent of MacDonalds. But at least the people who eat at MacDonalds will (probably) not insist that the food is healthy and the equivalent of a good home cooked meal. Or a gourmet French feast.

I agree Mr. P- you are right. :clap1:

Anyone read I am Charlotte Simmons? Rap = rut, rut rut. (And not in the "you are stuck in a rut" sense). Rap appeals to the basest levels of the human psyche. You know, that area of the brain that probably tells you to eat, or to have sex. Or go to the bathroom.

The ClayTaurus said:
Ok gramps ;)
It’s funny. In the late sixties my great uncle complained of the current music.
I remember him saying, “they only use 2 or 4 cords, that’s not music”. He hated it.
I found it difficult to understand.

His background? He played with Perry Como. Now I understand.

Abbey Normal said:
I agree Mr. P- you are right. :clap1:

Anyone read I am Charlotte Simmons? Rap = rut, rut rut. (And not in the "you are stuck in a rut" sense). Rap appeals to the basest levels of the human psyche. You know, that area of the brain that probably tells you to eat, or to have sex. Or go to the bathroom.
Thanks?

Mr. P said:
It’s funny. In the late sixties my great uncle complained of the current music.
I remember him saying, “they only use 2 or 4 cords, that’s not music”. He hated it.
I found it difficult to understand.

His background? He played with Perry Como. Now I understand.
Yeah blah blah blah. It's just traditionalist elitism. I can't wait to see what music I'll end up hating when I'm old because it's not conventional.

Forum List

Back