do gangster rappers hate the black community?

Mr. P said:
It’s funny. In the late sixties my great uncle complained of the current music.
I remember him saying, “they only use 2 or 4 cords, that’s not music”. He hated it.
I found it difficult to understand.

His background? He played with Perry Como. Now I understand.

There's always a generational shift and people can't understand the new generation's music.

It's interesting how music devolved during the course of the twentieth century. It started out with orchestras which had an enormous amount of instruments and performers. Then big band jazz came about with less instruments and variety but still a lot. The next shift was towards small jazz groups, blues and country usually with about 4-7 musicians and starting to emphasize mainly guitars and drums. Then the Beatles and rock took over and it was only guitars and drums. Now the most popular form of music is rap and we don't even have guitars and drums, just drum machines and a couple of guys screaming.

I know that's oversimplification but in broad terms that is a good portrayal of the winnowing of the sound spectrum among the dominant musical forms of the last 100 years or so.

The tragedy to me is that this latest shift is eliminating musicians altogether. It's computer programmers and guys who shout. It may take talent to program a drum machine and a sequencer but it's not a real time process like playing an instrument. It's more like computer work. That's what I think is significant about the most recent generational shift.

The ClayTaurus said:
Yeah blah blah blah. It's just traditionalist elitism. I can't wait to see what music I'll end up hating when I'm old because it's not conventional.
LOL...The way it's going there won't be any music when you get old. :poke:

Abbey Normal said:
Wait until you have a teenaged daughter. :eek2:
I've already warned my parents and girlfriend. I will either go on a 8 year vacation, or kill my children at age 10. Middle schoolers infuriate me. :blowup:

Mr. P said:
LOL...The way it's going there won't be any music when you get old. :poke:

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Mr. P again.

You got that right. That's what the record companies and media conglomerates want. The next step in musical evolution (or devolution) is music that has no human element. That way the record companies can sell totally automated content to an ignorant and apathetic public without having to deal with pesky artists or pay royalties to anyone.

Abbey Normal said:
You can't live with them, and you can't kill them.

Carry on... :D
Exactly. Hence the vacation. Now to find someone to dump the little bastards off on. Someone with... experience.

Nuc said:
There's always a generational shift and people can't understand the new generation's music.

It's interesting how music devolved during the course of the twentieth century. It started out with orchestras which had an enormous amount of instruments and performers. Then big band jazz came about with less instruments and variety but still a lot. The next shift was towards small jazz groups, blues and country usually with about 4-7 musicians and starting to emphasize mainly guitars and drums. Then the Beatles and rock took over and it was only guitars and drums. Now the most popular form of music is rap and we don't even have guitars and drums, just drum machines and a couple of guys screaming.

I know that's oversimplification but in broad terms that is a good portrayal of the winnowing of the sound spectrum among the dominant musical forms of the last 100 years or so.

The tragedy to me is that this latest shift is eliminating musicians altogether. It's computer programmers and guys who shout. It may take talent to program a drum machine and a sequencer but it's not a real time process like playing an instrument. It's more like computer work. That's what I think is significant about the most recent generational shift.
Sure that make sense. Programing a machine to play sound, but eliminating the creator/artist from what makes “Music”. Sad.

I taught my daughter about music on the way to an from school. I’d listen to oldies/classical and a little country. To keep her attention I’d play a game, "who can pick out the most instruments". She loved it! Yes, she has heard rap, and for a short spell wanted to listen to it, I’m sure she did when she was with friends.
Now 18, she loves all kinds of “music”, and I’ve never known her to buy a rap cd.

Nuc said:

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Nuc again.
:thup:

Truth be told, I don't really like rap any more than anybody else on this board, but I will defend electronic music til I'm blue in the face.

I offer an example: The Flaming Lips' "The Soft Bulletin". Not only is it one of the most unique and moving albums of the past 10 years, but it was also created almost entirely with synthesizers, keyboards, etc. In interviews, it's been said that an actual performance of most of the songs would require well over forty musicians. While that would definitely be great to see/hear, it doesn't make much sense when Stephen Drozd can just create the sounds on a synthesizer.

Forum List

Back