Do Conservatives lack Freewill

Below is another piece supporting the contention of the OP that conservatives today in America lack freedom to think on their own. Philosophically a lack of freewill or responsible decision making. I've repeated how those ten hands rose as if some puppet master pulled their strings, the below outlines the string controllers.

"Out of that session, held one morning in a location the members insist on keeping secret, came a little-noticed “blueprint to defunding Obamacare,” signed by Mr. Meese and leaders of more than three dozen conservative groups.... It articulated a take-no-prisoners legislative strategy that had long percolated in conservative circles: that Republicans could derail the health care overhaul if conservative lawmakers were willing to push fellow Republicans — including their cautious leaders — into cutting off financing for the entire federal government." http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/06/us/a-federal-budget-crisis-months-in-the-planning.html

Consider too the comment from one conservative republican in the house that they did not even know what they would get out their radical shutdown. Again an example of a lack of responsible thought. Followers instead of leaders.

"[P]eople like the Republican in the House who said he and his colleagues “have to get something out of this. And I don’t know what that even is."" http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/05/opinion/collins-frankenstein-goes-to-congress.html

Is it possible to lack freewill: the basic idea that conscious analysis guides your decisions. I think it is certainly worth our consideration. It may just be that conservatives lack the capacity, both genetically and culturally to exhibit freewill. This interplay of genes and culture make them easily susceptible to the influence of ideas that oppose change or revision. Most cognitive processes never reach consciousness, thus if you are conservative, thought would require an awareness you are not capable of. Given the widespread power of their media today, you witness an opposition to change repeated over and over again. No rational discussion is possible when you have the answer already. The final question becomes, are conservatives then a threat to a dynamic, open, democratic society?

See 'The Rhetoric of Reaction: Perversity, Futility, Jeopardy' Albert O. Hirschman

genes? oh, so its in the dna, right, got it:rolleyes:

freewill? so pelosi marching just about every blue dog over a cliff certainly was freewill alright....jesus, do you read what you post?

Nope, for him it's just "copy and paste", it's never "read, copy and paste".

My mention of the Hirschman's book was for historical reasons, Hirschman does criticize contemporary liberals for the same repetitive sloganism and solutions. But conservatives have practiced ostrich thinking for three hundred years. The lack of freewill exhibited by conservatives is evident in our congress and especially in their media channels. My point is on another level than even the historical, it is more about their culture. Today when you listen to any conservative talking head or representative, they all say the same things. The same things. How is that possible if they are conscious, freedom loving individuals, it's not possible. It would only be possible if some receiver were implanted in their head. That hopefully is not the case so one must look to their culture. Sometimes though labels fit poorly, picking and choosing a single exception as some noted above, does not prove much. I have posted several broad satiric comments on the right, it is only the right's puppet like behavior that allows that to be possible. My signature contains two. Conservatives can deny reality but their constant repeating of the same slogans, the same empty ideas, shows clearly no freewill is present. Remember the ten hands rising, if you doubt that.

Both the irony and hypocrisy meters are pegged with this one post. Congratulations.

Below is another piece supporting the contention of the OP that conservatives today in America lack freedom to think on their own. Philosophically a lack of freewill or responsible decision making. I've repeated how those ten hands rose as if some puppet master pulled their strings, the below outlines the string controllers.

"Out of that session, held one morning in a location the members insist on keeping secret, came a little-noticed “blueprint to defunding Obamacare,” signed by Mr. Meese and leaders of more than three dozen conservative groups.... It articulated a take-no-prisoners legislative strategy that had long percolated in conservative circles: that Republicans could derail the health care overhaul if conservative lawmakers were willing to push fellow Republicans — including their cautious leaders — into cutting off financing for the entire federal government." http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/06/us/a-federal-budget-crisis-months-in-the-planning.html

Consider too the comment from one conservative republican in the house that they did not even know what they would get out their radical shutdown. Again an example of a lack of responsible thought. Followers instead of leaders.

"[P]eople like the Republican in the House who said he and his colleagues “have to get something out of this. And I don’t know what that even is."" http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/05/opinion/collins-frankenstein-goes-to-congress.html

I suggest you look up confrontations bias, and then go stuff your idiotic attempt to insist that a group of people who are openly feuding to the everlasting joy of nightly news anchors everywhere are a monolithic block incapable of independent thought.

Nope, for him it's just "copy and paste", it's never "read, copy and paste".

That is a skill I admit to lacking, you'll have to explain how you read before you write what you write. I may need to clarify that sentence, let me know.

Both the irony and hypocrisy meters are pegged with this one post. Congratulations.

Ah irony, good word, two conflicting ideas, ah, another complex thought, there may be help for you yet, you're learning. Hypocrisy is a stretch, you need an explanation.

"If by relativism one means a cast of mind that renders you unable to prefer your own convictions to those of your adversary, then relativism could hardly end because it never began. Our convictions are by definition preferred; that's what makes them our convictions. Relativizing them is neither an option nor a danger. ¶ But if by relativism one means the practice of putting yourself in your adversary's shoes, not in order to wear them as your own but in order to have some understanding (far short of approval) of why someone else might want to wear them, then relativism will not and should not end, because it is simply another name for serious thought." Stanley Fish

I suggest you look up confrontations bias, and then go stuff your idiotic attempt to insist that a group of people who are openly feuding to the everlasting joy of nightly news anchors everywhere are a monolithic block incapable of independent thought.

I'm missing something, mostly the independent thought. Care to detail.

Remember those ten hands when any republican conservative mentions freedom.

Last edited:

I'm missing something, mostly the independent thought. Care to detail.

Remember those ten hands when any republican conservative mentions freedom.

Yes, you are missing something, a brain. If you had a brain you would realize that the very people you accuse of being incapable of thinking are actually fighting.

Republican Infighting Will Hurt the Party: McCain: Video - Bloomberg

Not sure how to detail a brain for you. I know I wouldn't waste my time if I knew hoe because you already wasted the one you were issued when you were born.

Yes, you are missing something, a brain. If you had a brain you would realize that the very people you accuse of being incapable of thinking are actually fighting....

I check with several people and found yes, I do have a mind also know as the brain. I sorta knew that already but thought I'd check. ;) Conservatives do not have freewill, if they were asked an assortment of questions concerning government, taxes, welfare, etc, you can be assured they would all answer the same. Is there really a need to go over some of those questions. If the republicans are fighting among themselves then it must be that there are moderates or liberal republicans, that's a good thing. Let's hope they win the battle over those so ideologically burdened freewill is missing from their minds.

Yes, you are missing something, a brain. If you had a brain you would realize that the very people you accuse of being incapable of thinking are actually fighting....

I check with several people and found yes, I do have a mind also know as the brain. I sorta knew that already but thought I'd check. ;) Conservatives do not have freewill, if they were asked an assortment of questions concerning government, taxes, welfare, etc, you can be assured they would all answer the same. Is there really a need to go over some of those questions. If the republicans are fighting among themselves then it must be that there are moderates or liberal republicans, that's a good thing. Let's hope they win the battle over those so ideologically burdened freewill is missing from their minds.

You checked with several people? Were any of them real?

It's telling you you edited from his post the proof that conservatives do indeed have free will.

Do you really believe that means the evidence doesn't actually exist? Do you, like most progressives, believe that your views define reality? That if you ignore something, it really is not there?

It's telling you you edited from his post the proof that conservatives do indeed have free will.

Do you really believe that means the evidence doesn't actually exist? Do you, like most progressives, believe that your views define reality? That if you ignore something, it really is not there?

Be fair, he didn't see anything in my post that proved him wrong because he is incapable of seeing anything that isn't approved by the Church Of Obama.

Be fair, he didn't see anything in my post that proved him wrong because he is incapable of seeing anything that isn't approved by the Church Of Obama.
Of course. That's because he lacks free will.

Everyone has free will, some people just don't use it.

Everyone has free will, some people just don't use it.
True. And some people run away from it because it scares the hell out of them.

Hence the rising chorus of people looking to government to make all their decisions for them.

Ah come on guys circle jerks are so old school. Is confirmation bias sorta like two internet posters confirming each others bias? :lol:

A few thoughts below for the still open minded who may be able to break away from the conservative thought control machine.

"To me, the first thing to do is to explain in sympathetic ways what kind of pressures the white working class faces today, without caving in to tendencies within a segment of this class to demonize minorities.

The second is to remind people forcefully how many times tax cuts for the rich and market deregulation have generated economic crises, starting with the Great Depression.

The third, and most fundamental, is to challenge head on Republican definitions of freedom through anti-labor and anti-consumer policies of the state joined to a vision of market self-sufficiency, elaborating a richer story of how freedom works and how deregulated markets demean it.

The fourth, which can only work if the third is under way, is to propose an ambitious jobs program that, if passed, would simultaneously rebuild the infrastructure to meet the needs of the twenty-first century, provide meaningful jobs for high school graduates, stimulate the economy, and promote real freedom for families, workers and consumers.

The fifth is to insist, against the grain of the Republican story, that tax increases for the rich and a regulated economy are desperately needed to avoid a new version of the most recent meltdown." William E. Connolly

See The Contemporary Condition: The Republican Pincer Machine

Hey, middie:

Here's another post you can pretend doesn't exist. :lmao:

Hey, middie:

Here's another post you can pretend doesn't exist.

Huh, McCain was a Maverick, remember. I listened to that piece and even there there was no divergence from the conservative republican fight to stop the ACA. I saw no proof of any alternate thought on his part. One would need to read into his comments more than what was there. You can accept that if you like but it proves nothing. He actually repeated much of the same talking points supporting my premise. OT John is a bit of an oddity, occasionally he sounds liberal, other times moderate, and then he falls back into the programmed lines world.

Ah come on guys circle jerks are so old school. Is confirmation bias sorta like two internet posters confirming each others bias? :lol:

A few thoughts below for the still open minded who may be able to break away from the conservative thought control machine.

"To me, the first thing to do is to explain in sympathetic ways what kind of pressures the white working class faces today, without caving in to tendencies within a segment of this class to demonize minorities.

The second is to remind people forcefully how many times tax cuts for the rich and market deregulation have generated economic crises, starting with the Great Depression.

The third, and most fundamental, is to challenge head on Republican definitions of freedom through anti-labor and anti-consumer policies of the state joined to a vision of market self-sufficiency, elaborating a richer story of how freedom works and how deregulated markets demean it.

The fourth, which can only work if the third is under way, is to propose an ambitious jobs program that, if passed, would simultaneously rebuild the infrastructure to meet the needs of the twenty-first century, provide meaningful jobs for high school graduates, stimulate the economy, and promote real freedom for families, workers and consumers.

The fifth is to insist, against the grain of the Republican story, that tax increases for the rich and a regulated economy are desperately needed to avoid a new version of the most recent meltdown." William E. Connolly

See The Contemporary Condition: The Republican Pincer Machine

Confirmation bias like ignoring the parts of my posts that provide proof that conservatives are not a monolithic block?

Forum List

Back