Whaddaya think vs whaddaya see

You only see what you can see, you only experience what you can experience given your experience. We exist in a framework of biology time education age experience society and relationships. We only know what we could know given our situation in life and we only know what we are capable of knowing given the items above. We like to think we are rational and reasonable but if we look close we find we are only going into our heads and coming out with who we already are. "I say it to you now, knowing full well that you will agree with me (that is, understand) only if you already agree with me." Stanley Fish

I don't think you follow exactly the central conflict described in the OP.

I don't think you follow exactly the central conflict described in the OP.

I am reminded of a Skinhead on NPR years ago when asked why he abandoned his affiliation with white power groups said that because his daughter suffered from - it may have been autism - and was considered unacceptable to the ethos of white power, he could no longer belong. Rational or empirical, maybe both? It could be (is) there are parts of us that are innate and there are parts of us that only experience can inform. I lean eighty percent empirical - but I could be wrong. As for Kant and Hume, both have their followers and apologists, some may even be like the skinhead.

"To achieve success in philosophy would be, to use a contemporary turn of phrase, to 'know one's way around' ... not in that unreflective way in which the centipede of the story knew its way around before it faced the question, 'how do I walk?', but in that reflective way which means that no intellectual holds are barred." Wilfrid Sellars

Forum List

Back