Dishonesty about HIV/AIDS isn't the Answer in the First World...

As for a "Solution" that Fixes it?... There isn't one.

That's where we agree. We can't eliminate ANY virus without a vaccine.

The problem with a marketing campaign is that it would be futile. Pointing the finger at one demographic while ignoring another distorts the facts. The statistics are in your favor as a heterosexual, but not overwhelmingly so. The problem with this, is that it takes back to a 1985 mentality that HIV is a "homosexual disease". That is not the case. The virus doesn't care about how it spreads. Among healthcare providers, the highest incidence of HIV transmission is through accidental needlesticks. If you get a needle stick from an HIV positive individual, you have a 1/300 chance of contracting the disease. That's astronimical. The odds improve with the immediate application of HAART therapy.

Even if your campaign was successful, you would only lower the HIV incidences among homosexuals and then the problem would be heterosexuals. What then?

More likely is this salient fact: if the problem is men engaging in homosexual sex and spreading HIV to their spouses as you claim, you have two immediate hurdles. First, men who act in that manner are most likely not going to be swayed by public service announcements. Secondly, women generally only find out their men are messing around on them after the fact. I don't see it as a means to lower anything. In fact, I see it as being counterproductive. HIV rates in this country would be much lower if we had not allowed this disease to be stigmatized as a homosexual disease from the onset. Kudos to Dr. Koop for finally pulling Reagan's head out of the sand on that one.

Unprotected anal sex is certainly the most risky form of sexual intercourse. That's statistical fact. No Dr. would dispute it. Protected anal sex is much safer than unprotected vaginal sex.

Since I am a pragmatist, and recognize that "people are going to do what they are going to do", the only reasonable approach is continued avocation of using condoms for all people that aren't in a monogamous relationship and continued education. You aren't going to eliminate HIV that way, but it's the most practical way to drop the risk, and in fact, it has done so, as HIV diagnosis' have dropped steadily every year, with spikes in certain areas and demographics.

When this was originally proposed, conservatives went wild and pimped the issue of dispensing condoms to kids. However, it's been effective.

It's never going to eliminate HIV, but it can help contain it.

It's analogous to telling people to wear seatbelts. It's dropped traffic mortality, but it hasn't eliminated it, nor is it expected too.

So, short of a vaccine, there is no solution to HIV. But that doesn't mean we need to throw our hands up.

Like the Black and Hispanic Communties that are Honestly Homophobic, and yet you are not Intellectually Courageous Enough to Denounce them for their Oppression of their Homosexuals, and the Product of it, Increased HIV Infections amongst their Women...
The Black community is the most violently homophobic known...and has the highest HIV rates of any ethnicity, both gay and straight.

A coincidence? I think not.

You have made it clear, Mal, that the only way to stop HIV is to openly accept homosexuals into mainstream society.

And I Support Civil Unions for all other than One Man and One Woman... That would Assist them with the Issues they have with Estates, Health and the rest.

I don't Support the Persecution of Homosexuals, be it in the Minority Communities in the First World, or the Outright Tyranny Against them in the Middle East where they are Executed in the Name of Allah and Law.
Good. Let's write our state legislatures to get civil unions passed.

The Black community is the most violently homophobic known...and has the highest HIV rates of any ethnicity, both gay and straight.

You have made it clear, Mal, that the only way to stop HIV is to openly accept homosexuals into mainstream society.

And I Support Civil Unions for all other than One Man and One Woman... That would Assist them with the Issues they have with Estates, Health and the rest.

I don't Support the Persecution of Homosexuals, be it in the Minority Communities in the First World, or the Outright Tyranny Against them in the Middle East where they are Executed in the Name of Allah and Law.

I have Discussed that and MANY other Issues with various Elected Officials in my State.

I once had a Beer with the Former Governor... His was Boozeless... Fucking Pansy.

:)

peace...

A slight digression, and not really relevant to the OP or an original thought, but I think civil unions should be the standard for all legal matter for any partnership, be it heterosexual or homosexual. I wish they would do away with state issued "marriage licenses" and just confer recognition of unions.

Marriage is a religious institution and ceremonial. It should be up to the churches to decide this. Thus, the parishioners can decided if they think it is proper for homosexuals to have marriage ceremonies in their church or not. People can find the church that suits their own personal religious beliefs, just as they do for every other issue.

State intrusion into this issue, whether for or against, gay marriage is a clear violation of the establishment clause IMO.

A slight digression, and not really relevant to the OP or an original thought, but I think civil unions should be the standard for all legal matter for any partnership, be it heterosexual or homosexual. I wish they would do away with state issued "marriage licenses" and just confer recognition of unions.

Marriage is a religious institution and ceremonial. It should be up to the churches to decide this. Thus, the parishioners can decided if they think it is proper for homosexuals to have marriage ceremonies in their church or not. People can find the church that suits their own personal religious beliefs, just as they do for every other issue.

State intrusion into this issue, whether for or against, gay marriage is a clear violation of the establishment clause IMO.

The Marriage of a Man and Woman is Inherently and Naturally Different than ANY other Coupling...

Marriage gets it's Name from the Union of Man and Woman, NOT the other way around...

It's a Marrying of the Flesh that only that Coupling is Capable of.

I Support Civil Unions for all other Couplings Aside from what Creates us.

peace...

We could eliminate all birth defects if women stopped having children. Where's the anti-motherhood movement?

Planned Parenthood, NOW and qquite frankly... the liberal/gay movement are all anti-motherhood.

The Marriage of a Man and Woman is Inherently and Naturally Different than ANY other Coupling...

Marriage gets it's Name from the Union of Man and Woman, NOT the other way around...

It's a Marrying of the Flesh that only that Coupling is Capable of.

I Support Civil Unions for all other Couplings Aside from what Creates us.

peace...

It's your prerogative to support whatever you want or oppose whatever you want. When it comes to policy, no single person has fiat. Fancy religious wording aside, your contentions about the supernatural powers of marriage are articles of faith. Not everyone is going to adhere to that belief.

If the Episcopal Church in Massachusetts wants to marry homosexuals, who is the state to tell them no? If the parishioners oppose it, they can leave the church.

On the other hand, if the Catholic Church refuses to marry homosexuals, who is the state to them they have to?

Churches should decide this matter. The state should concern itself only with the legal matters of a partnership (i.e. the division of assets), and not religious pageantry.

6. Stigma
In October 2009, President Obama announced that America's ban on entry into the country for HIV positive people, would be lifted as of January 2010. The ban, which was instituted in 1987, restricted all HIV positive people from entering the country, whether they were on holiday or visiting on a longer-term basis. Those who did not hold an approved medical waiver form (which was often difficult to acquire) risked being barred entry or deported if they test HIV positive or were found to be carrying antiretroviral medication.

WHY? :confused:
Is he such a worthless libtard that he can't see that allowing HIV positive people into this country is a bad think, in which I would estimate 90% of Americans (both from the left and right) would be strongly against!

6. Stigma
In October 2009, President Obama announced that America's ban on entry into the country for HIV positive people, would be lifted as of January 2010. The ban, which was instituted in 1987, restricted all HIV positive people from entering the country, whether they were on holiday or visiting on a longer-term basis. Those who did not hold an approved medical waiver form (which was often difficult to acquire) risked being barred entry or deported if they test HIV positive or were found to be carrying antiretroviral medication.

WHY? :confused:
Is he such a worthless libtard that he can't see that allowing HIV positive people into this country is a bad think, in which I would estimate 90% of Americans (both from the left and right) would be strongly against!

Canned Liberal Response #1: "Bigot!"

Canned Liberal Response #2: "Been Closeted long?"

Canned Liberal Response #3: "Liar!"

peace...

And if people stopped engaging in heterosexual sex and IV drug use the rest of the new HIV cases would be eliminated too.

What an ignorant post.

Nope... It's something like a 1 in 10 Rate for Homosexuals and a 1 in 3,000 Rate for Heterosexuals.

It is VERY Unlikely that you will get HIV from Heterosexual Sex on Average...

While if you are in San Francisco having Homosexual Sex you have about a 1 in 4 Chance if you are not Using "Protection"...

As if.

There are Cities that have Close to a 50% Infection Rate in the Homosexual Community According to the CDC's Surveys.

And you can do the Research, A15... It's Homosexuals on the "Down Low" and IV Drug Users that are Keeping it Alive in the Hetero Community...

As MOST of the Victims who happen to be Black and Latino Females who have been Victimized by the Homophobia in those Communities that has Homosexual Men Keeping Women for Status because if they don't, those Communities will NOT Accept them.

peace...
Notice how the numbers are always higher among men,, not matter homosexual or heterosexuals. So maybe men should stop having multiple sex partners or learn to like condoms. It also doesn't take a genius to figure out why gay men have a better chance of getting HIV/AIDS, and it is the same reason why heterosexual men have a better chance of getting HIV than heterosexaul females.
You sleep with more partners your risk goes up.

Its higher amongst men because fags transmit it 1000x easier than Lesbians!

penile penile 1 to vaggie vaggie deuce, what's the status of your afternoon.... vaggie deuce? i have a mall run to attend and then an informal trip to a urinal at approximately 1600 hours.

Forum List

Back