HIV/AIDS Risk: The Reality

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by eagleseven, Dec 2, 2009.

1. eagleseven

eagleseven Quod Erat Demonstrandum

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,255
    If you are the bottom, there is a 0.8% chance you will contract HIV from an HIV+ partner during unprotected anal sex.

If you are the top, there is a 0.06% chance of contracting HIV from an HIV+ partner during unprotected anal sex. This is similar to the risk of contracting HIV during unprotected vaginal intercourse.

This probability is reduced to near-zero when condoms are used, as it is when partners have non-penetrative sex.

So why is HIV still a problem? For two reasons:

1. Many people avoid condom use.

2. Humans have a lot of sex. If you sleep with an HIV+ partner every day, 0.8% rapidly compounds into a near-100% risk of contracting HIV.

As the lead HIV vaccine researcher here often says, "HIV is a preventable disease, if only humans would consistently use protection."

LAMBDA Volume 28 Issue 3: HIV Panic, Part II - Sexual Transmission and Public Health

2. geauxtohell

geauxtohell Choose your weapon.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,155
    I don't understand, in this day and age, why anyone wouldn't wear protection during intercourse if they aren't in a monogamous relationship (regardless of orientation).

.8% and .6% is still too high to roll the dice when you consider the outcomes.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  3. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,884
    Get ready for a new spike in AIDS cases...
    :eek:
    HIV increase in gay men caused by fall in condom use
    15 February 2013 - A modest increase in unprotected sex is enough to erode the benefits of other interventions, researchers said

4. Dante

Dante On leave Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,054
    those are only stats.

some people will get infected within one or a dozen exposures. Think of it like the lottery. I play once in my life. If I buy what turns out to be the winning ticket, fuck the odds. I won on my first try. There are incidences where a person only played once and won.

Odds are about risk. They guarantee nothing. Possibilities versus probabilities.

People tell me my chances of being hit by lightning are ________________. I always say no, because I do not golf, I do not swim during storms, and I do not live in a high risk of lightning strike location. My risk is always lower than what generic stats say
    --'

from my days in public health: Communicable diseases and VD: There is no safe sex, there is safer sex. Many determinant factors come into play. Stating the odds alone is an academic exercise in safe mental masturbation

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  5. Dante

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,054
    human nature. people who don't want children have them or are involved in pregnancies. Anyone who thinks like Spock about sex isn't horny

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. Dante

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,054
    Been out of the picture for years, but I know there is lots of new data that makes your post look ignorant of facts

7. ArmyCowboy

ArmyCowboy The Dark Lord

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +189
    Actually, when discussing mathamatical probability, the .8% chances don't increase based on multiple instances, you just have the same .8% chance EVERY time, so if you do it twenty times, you don't have an 16% chance of getting the virus, you just have 20 .8% chances.:redface:

8. Dante

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,054
    :popcorn:

An E7 Pissing-contest Free For All?

(inside humor)

9. ChloeP80

ChloeP80 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hard to believe people still take risks but I suppose everyone thinks it wont happen to them. Also, I imagine it's hard to get people to get regular testing. I know lots of people who have never been tested, while I have one friend who tests himself with those online tests, this kind of thing STD Testing | Private and Confidential | Affordable and Accurate and does it a couple of times a year, but then he did have a scare once so maybe that's it, everyone else thinks they're indestructible. Scary stuff though.

10. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,884
    Granny says if dem young'uns wouldn't havin' sex, dey wouldn't have to worry `bout HIV...

UNICEF: More Funds Needed to Fight Teen HIV
    December 01, 2016 | WASHINGTON — The U.N. Children’s Fund predicts a 60 percent rise in the number of HIV-positive adolescents by 2030, unless there’s an increase in funding to fight it.