Discussion of the Austrian School

Carl Menger is probably the only relevant economist out of the whole Austrian School. He helped develop the theory of marginal utility. Off the top of my head, several of their claims are basically false, such as the Austrian Business Cycle and their utter rejection of econometrics and mathematics. I also think the entire premise of praxeology is just plain wrong.

Can you provide evidence that the business cycle theory is "basically false"? It's a pretty well known understanding of market intervention today. Even the federal reserve understands the principles of the business cycle.

As I understand it, the Austrian business cycle theory (ABCT) is basically a theory of unsustainable increases in bank credit, often encouraged by central bank policy. The main attack on it (from Keynes, Sraffa, Frank Knight, and later Milton Friedman {which is one reason including him among the Austrian School is problematic!} is based on the statistical evidence. There are some good insights about the business cycle in ABCT, but IMHO it doesn't do well as a predictive model. I really don't look at ABCT much, so I'd like to hear from people who are more familiar with it.

One of the major problems of the ABCT is this concept of a natural rate of interest based on the work of Knut Wicksell. It's inherently a loanable funds theory at the end of the day. The whole concept of a natural rate of interest and equilibrium are fictitious.

Last edited:
Paul Ryan (R) promotes von Mises. He is also a Randian & a high ranking, Repub, washinton-insider. Are the two mutually exclusive?

Of course they're not, but, in reality, how many are there? I've never heard Paul Ryan mention Mises, though it's possible. Bachmann of course said she reads Mises on the beach, but do either of them advocate a return to the gold standard or ending the Federal Reserve? Do they promote the Austrian theory of the business cycle which was perhaps Mises' greatest contribution?

The simple fact is that the Austrian school is not popular within the circles of power, right or left, because the Austrian school doesn't support government power.
There's that and the fool assumption that just because Ryan has his employees read Rand, that it's how he governs...Which, judging from his track record, he clearly doesn't.

But that expecting the blind partisan demagogues to notice such things is just too much to expect.

No duh. He was forced to throw her under the bus or lose the catholic vote after the Council of Bishops saw his budget.

He was for Rand before he was against her (it meant the loss of the Catholic vote :shock: ) :up:
he says his primary reason for becoming what he calls a "public servant" AKA- 14 yr washington-insider was Rand :clap2:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANox3_QNp0k&list=PL131E3069315D839D"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANox3_QNp0k&list=PL131E3069315D839D[/ame]

Last edited:
Carl Menger is probably the only relevant economist out of the whole Austrian School. He helped develop the theory of marginal utility. Off the top of my head, several of their claims are basically false, such as the Austrian Business Cycle and their utter rejection of econometrics and mathematics. I also think the entire premise of praxeology is just plain wrong.

Can you provide evidence that the business cycle theory is "basically false"? It's a pretty well known understanding of market intervention today. Even the federal reserve understands the principles of the business cycle.

As I understand it, the Austrian business cycle theory (ABCT) is basically a theory of unsustainable increases in bank credit, often encouraged by central bank policy. The main attack on it (from Keynes, Sraffa, Frank Knight, and later Milton Friedman {which is one reason including him among the Austrian School is problematic!} is based on the statistical evidence. There are some good insights about the business cycle in ABCT, but IMHO it doesn't do well as a predictive model. I really don't look at ABCT much, so I'd like to hear from people who are more familiar with it.

That's strange. As a predictive model, it has been used for the last hundred years to predict every boom and bust cycle we've experienced. The latest correct prediction would be the housing bubble and its subsequent collapse. Mises used it in the 1920s to predict the great depression, as another example.

One of the major problems of the ABCT is this concept of a natural rate of interest based on the work of Knut Wicksell. It's inherently a loanable funds theory at the end of the day. The whole concept of a natural rate of interest and equilibrium are fictitious.

No, it's not. That's a massive oversimplification. And repeating that it is fictitious without any evidence, again,, doesn't make it so. Prove your point. Repeating it lends nothing.

THE NATURAL RATE OF INTEREST

So named by Swedish economist Knut Wicksell, the natural rate of interest is the rate that reflects the underlying real factors. In macroeconomic terms as applied to a wholly private economy, it is the rate that governs the allocation of resources between current consumption and investment for the future. By keeping saving and investment in balance, the natural rate guides the economy along a sustainable growth path. That is, governed by the natural rate, unconsumed current output (real saving) is used for augmenting the economy's productive capacity in ways that are consistent with people's willingness to postpone consumption.

"In Keynesian theory, the role played by a market-determined interest rate is a disruptive one."
In the hands of the Austrian economists, the natural rate became the rate that reflects the time preferences of market participants and allocates resources among the temporally defined stages of production. The output of one stage serves as input to the next in this logical and broadly descriptive representation of the economy's production process. The temporal dimension of the economy's capital structure is a key macroeconomic variable in Austrian theory.

Here

Wicksell lends to, not retracts from the austrian principle of market interest rates, rather than central rate controls.

I have been reading some stuff mainly about Rothbard, which has got me to thinking. Is there any interest in a somewhat technical and nerdy discussion of the "Austrian School" and should it be here or in the CDZ? My first choice would be to put it here. What say you?

Carl Menger is probably the only relevant economist out of the whole Austrian School. He helped develop the theory of marginal utility. Off the top of my head, several of their claims are basically false, such as the Austrian Business Cycle and their utter rejection of econometrics and mathematics. I also think the entire premise of praxeology is just plain wrong.[/B
]I do appreciate the intellectual contributions of Hayek, von Mises, etal.... I do thoroughly detest Murray Rothbard, though. I don't think he understood macroeconomics.

So, economics is not a social science? Praxeology is the understanding that human action is the epicenter in economics. That markets were not created by some inventor, but are an evolutionary process in human behavior.

Is your contention that economics is a hard science, and that mathematics can explain human action? Because so far, observation isn't on your side.

Better contact the Nobel Committee and get them to revoke Vernon Smith's Nobel Prize for Economics.

THE NATURAL RATE OF INTEREST

So named by Swedish economist Knut Wicksell, the natural rate of interest is the rate that reflects the underlying real factors. In macroeconomic terms as applied to a wholly private economy, it is the rate that governs the allocation of resources between current consumption and investment for the future. By keeping saving and investment in balance, the natural rate guides the economy along a sustainable growth path. That is, governed by the natural rate, unconsumed current output (real saving) is used for augmenting the economy's productive capacity in ways that are consistent with people's willingness to postpone consumption.

"In Keynesian theory, the role played by a market-determined interest rate is a disruptive one."
In the hands of the Austrian economists, the natural rate became the rate that reflects the time preferences of market participants and allocates resources among the temporally defined stages of production. The output of one stage serves as input to the next in this logical and broadly descriptive representation of the economy's production process. The temporal dimension of the economy's capital structure is a key macroeconomic variable in Austrian theory.

Here

Wicksell lends to, not retracts from the austrian principle of market interest rates, rather than central rate controls.

So the story goes in the Austrian ideasphere…..

Like I said, we’re dealing with an inapplicable loanable funds theory. I neglected to mention it’s based around a one commodity economy. Roger Garrison, one of the leading “experts” on ABCT, utilizes a concept known as “equilibrium rate” or “market-clearing “. His entire thesis is that this mystical rate is the Wicksellian rate which results in disequilibrium.

If we extend this further, logically, there can only be a single natural rate of interest in an economy based around one commodity. In an expanding economy, if we really analyze this, comparing a natural rate and market rate doesn’t make any sense, nor does have any real meaning, at least from an economic standpoint.

This natural rate is allegedly formulated in real terms. This means it’s a barter economy whereby commodities are exchanged (loaned) out and repaid so to speak. The supply of commodities for loans is therefore equal to the amount requested. However, in a monetary economy, where we have reserve banking and credit-based money, a medium is created which gives us real resources without letting those resources go in real terms. The problem with the aforementioned analysis is that the natural rate of interest (the Austrian interpretation) is based on the belief that the overall economy doesn’t possess idle resources and is always redlining at full employment. Also, that free trade will somehow enable us to import inputs and capital goods, thus decreasing any inflationary pressures.

What am I to make of an Austrian School theory based on something which doesn’t exist?

By the way, the concept of a natural rate of interest started with the political economy of David Ricardo and Adam Smith. It made its way into neoclassical economics through Knut Wicksell and Alfred Warshall.

Under a fiat system, in point of fact, the natural rate of interest is zero. I can get into the operational mechanics. The Austrians don’t seem to understand that the government deficit is equal to the non-government surplus.

Last edited:
I have been reading some stuff mainly about Rothbard, which has got me to thinking. Is there any interest in a somewhat technical and nerdy discussion of the "Austrian School" and should it be here or in the CDZ? My first choice would be to put it here. What say you?

Carl Menger is probably the only relevant economist out of the whole Austrian School. He helped develop the theory of marginal utility. Off the top of my head, several of their claims are basically false, such as the Austrian Business Cycle and their utter rejection of econometrics and mathematics. I also think the entire premise of praxeology is just plain wrong.[/B
]I do appreciate the intellectual contributions of Hayek, von Mises, etal.... I do thoroughly detest Murray Rothbard, though. I don't think he understood macroeconomics.

So, economics is not a social science? Praxeology is the understanding that human action is the epicenter in economics. That markets were not created by some inventor, but are an evolutionary process in human behavior.

Is your contention that economics is a hard science, and that mathematics can explain human action? Because so far, observation isn't on your side.

Economics is a social science, but we still need to build qualitative and quantitative models.
Mises’ “praxeology” is system built around apriorism. Sorry, there isn’t any empirical evidence to suggest that apriorism provides a reliable way to analyze the real world. In point of fact, praxeology has similarities with the theories of various rationalists, such as Wilhelm Leibniz, Baruch Spinoza and Rene Descartes, which we now know were completely and utterly false.

It should be abundantly obvious Mises’ praxeology is inherently flawed in its argumentation and alleged logic. When mythical or unreal hypotheses are utilized when constructing an a priori argument, the result cannot possibly describe the world we exist in. In other words, any conclusions derived by deduction will only be true in this mythical world where one’s hypotheses are correct. But the mythological world isn’t the real world where we all have to live on a daily basis. It’s one of mythology and fantasy, with zero basis in reality.

So because it can not be applied to current modern day central planning and reserve banking, which is of course the entire piont, we must cast it aside as mythical and inapplicable. The contention of the austrian scholars, much like the ABCT, is to show that monetary authority creates disruptions in markets. It's not a guide to how to quantify or qualify "models" based on numbers that do not reflect human action. Only when there are authorites that disrupt, distort and ultimately destroy markets can quantifying and qualifying models guide those who author monetary policy in the fiat realm.

This is of course the entire point put forth by austrian scholars. It is not a guide to central planning. It is a guide to revealing the massive flaws associated with central planning and advocater to economic liberty. Where individuals take action on their own volition as opposed to being demanded, controlled or manipulated into action and the consequences.

You're simply arguing that because we already have authority figures in monetary control, all that the ABCT and the austrian school has to offer is "mythical" ideas. When in reality, the ABCT and the austrian school show the results, predictably, of central controls and their disruptions.

Last edited:

I know this was not directed specifically to me, but that has never stopped me from answering before!

My undergraduate degree was in history and economics with a minor in mathematics. My graduate education was in mathematical economics applied to the Soviet economy. This gives me a peculiar slant with a foot in statistical theory and practice, mathematical economics, and historical/institutional approaches. In fact I think these are the three legs that all good work in economics must rely on. Each of them is necessary but not sufficient for a proper analysis. Of course the mix will change depending on the subject matter.

At the core, economics is a model of certain types of human behavior, the creation and distribution of wealth. Humans are individually quirky, but in large numbers become more predictable in a statistical sense. On a continuum this makes economics the hardest of the social sciences and somewhat less precise than the softest of the hard sciences (to what extent is weather and climate a hard science?). This argues for a need for more tools that mathematical models, not for the avoidance of such models.

Back to the regularly scheduled food fight!

I know this was not directed specifically to me, but that has never stopped me from answering before!

My undergraduate degree was in history and economics with a minor in mathematics. My graduate education was in mathematical economics applied to the Soviet economy. This gives me a peculiar slant with a foot in statistical theory and practice, mathematical economics, and historical/institutional approaches. In fact I think these are the three legs that all good work in economics must rely on. Each of them is necessary but not sufficient for a proper analysis. Of course the mix will change depending on the subject matter.

At the core, economics is a model of certain types of human behavior, the creation and distribution of wealth. Humans are individually quirky, but in large numbers become more predictable in a statistical sense. On a continuum this makes economics the hardest of the social sciences and somewhat less precise than the softest of the hard sciences (to what extent is weather and climate a hard science?). This argues for a need for more tools that mathematical models, not for the avoidance of such models.

I agree!

This is why I have such a problem with unscientific methods such as Praxeology used to arrive at “truths” from a priori knowledge. A priori by its very definition exists in the mind which excludes reality as any sort of metric. This is a very old and flawed approach we call rationalism. We literally have to go back to the seventeenth and eighteenth century to even ascertain when it was looked upon as a serious line of inquiry. It’s actually part of the larger world of anti-intellectualism which has been funded and paid for by far-right cranks like the Koch Brothers, etc.

We need mathematics to construct data-based models so we can organize empirical data for coherent economic models. Any rejection of econometrics is akin to being a member of the Flat Earth Society.

Last edited:
And right on queue, shallow insults and no evidence to present for prior assertions.

From here i wont bother. You're arguing from a no evidence, no validation fallacy and then resort to insults that, at best only come off as weak projections based on your love for authority and control over others. "We need models so we can be more confident in our failures in utopian economic control! All else is just crank right wing flat earthery!"

OK, you're not here to discuss this topic, so neither am I.

The trolls get the thread.

And right on queue, shallow insults and no evidence to present for prior assertions.

From here i wont bother. You're arguing from a no evidence, no validation fallacy and then resort to insults that, at best only come off as weak projections based on your love for authority and control over others. "We need models so we can be more confident in our failures in utopian economic control! All else is just crank right wing flat earthery!"

OK, you're not here to discuss this topic, so neither am I.

The trolls get the thread.

I’m not insulting anyone.

We’re talking basic philosophy since Kant differentiated between synthetic, synthetic a priori and a priori propositions. A priori propositions are either true from a tautological standpoint or false from a contradictory standpoint. A priori propositions are deductive by their very nature. On the other hand, synthetic propositions are based on inductive probability and tend be empirical.

Edit to add:

By the way, I simply pointed out how the very foundation of the ABCT is problematic, since it's based on the fictitious natural rate of interest. Even Robert Murphy admits this doesn't help the Misesian and Hayekian versions of the ABCT. It has nothing to do with central planning or authority, nor was I trying to insult anyone.

Last edited:
And you completely and utterly misunderstand Mises theorizing on economics as a priori. As most do, because you believe that economics is in fact, a hard science where there are truths that can be established. In the world of economic control, thats probably true, because again, someone is making the fuciking rules. Pretty simple.

Try this out and see if it helps you understand the difference. As you've already mentioned, you refuse praxeology, human action. So apparently economics is the business of its inventors; those who control and manipulate based on perceived authorities 9even though it is not).

by categorizing the fundamental principles of economics as a priori truths and not contingent facts open to empirical discovery or refutation, Mises was not claiming that economic law is revealed to us by divine action, like the ten commandments were to Moses. Nor was he proposing that economic principles are hard-wired into our brains by evolution, nor even that we could articulate or comprehend them prior to gaining familiarity with economic behavior through participating in and observing it in our own lives. In fact, it is quite possible for someone to have had a good deal of real experience with economic activity and yet never to have wondered about what basic principles, if any, it exhibits.

Nevertheless, Mises was justified in describing those principles as a priori, because they are logically prior to any empirical study of economic phenomena. Without them it is impossible even to recognize that there is a distinct class of events amenable to economic explanation. It is only by pre-supposing that concepts like intention, purpose, means, ends, satisfaction, and dissatisfaction are characteristic of a certain kind of happening in the world that we can conceive of a subject matter for economics to investigate. Those concepts are the logical prerequisites for distinguishing a domain of economic events from all of the non-economic aspects of our experience, such as the weather, the course of a planet across the night sky, the growth of plants, the breaking of waves on the shore, animal digestion, volcanoes, earthquakes, and so on.

Unless we first postulate that people deliberately undertake previously planned activities with the goal of making their situations, as they subjectively see them, better than they otherwise would be, there would be no grounds for differentiating the exchange that takes place in human society from the exchange of molecules that occurs between two liquids separated by a permeable membrane. And the features which characterize the members of the class of phenomena singled out as the subject matter of a special science must have an axiomatic status for practitioners of that science, for if they reject them then they also reject the rationale for that science's existence.

Economics is not unique in requiring the adoption of certain assumptions as a pre-condition for using the mode of understanding it offers. Every science is founded on propositions that form the basis rather than the outcome of its investigations. For example, physics takes for granted the reality of the physical world it examines. Any piece of physical evidence it might offer has weight only if it is already assumed that the physical world is real. Nor can physicists demonstrate their assumption that the members of a sequence of similar physical measurements will bear some meaningful and consistent relationship to each other. Any test of a particular type of measurement must pre-suppose the validity of some other way of measuring against which the form under examination is to be judged.....What is notable about economics in this regard is just how much knowledge can be gained by hunting down the implications of its postulates. Carl Menger arrived at the great insight that the value of a good to an actor depends on its marginal utility to him based entirely on pursuing the consequences of the assumption that people act with the purpose of improving their circumstances. Mises's magnum opus, Human Action, is a magnificent display of the results that can be achieved along these lines.

here

And you completely and utterly misunderstand Mises theorizing on economics as a priori. As most do, because you believe that economics is in fact, a hard science where there are truths that can be established. In the world of economic control, thats probably true, because again, someone is making the fuciking rules. Pretty simple.

Try this out and see if it helps you understand the difference. As you've already mentioned, you refuse praxeology, human action. So apparently economics is the business of its inventors; those who control and manipulate based on perceived authorities 9even though it is not).

by categorizing the fundamental principles of economics as a priori truths and not contingent facts open to empirical discovery or refutation, Mises was not claiming that economic law is revealed to us by divine action, like the ten commandments were to Moses. Nor was he proposing that economic principles are hard-wired into our brains by evolution, nor even that we could articulate or comprehend them prior to gaining familiarity with economic behavior through participating in and observing it in our own lives. In fact, it is quite possible for someone to have had a good deal of real experience with economic activity and yet never to have wondered about what basic principles, if any, it exhibits.

Nevertheless, Mises was justified in describing those principles as a priori, because they are logically prior to any empirical study of economic phenomena. Without them it is impossible even to recognize that there is a distinct class of events amenable to economic explanation. It is only by pre-supposing that concepts like intention, purpose, means, ends, satisfaction, and dissatisfaction are characteristic of a certain kind of happening in the world that we can conceive of a subject matter for economics to investigate. Those concepts are the logical prerequisites for distinguishing a domain of economic events from all of the non-economic aspects of our experience, such as the weather, the course of a planet across the night sky, the growth of plants, the breaking of waves on the shore, animal digestion, volcanoes, earthquakes, and so on.

Unless we first postulate that people deliberately undertake previously planned activities with the goal of making their situations, as they subjectively see them, better than they otherwise would be, there would be no grounds for differentiating the exchange that takes place in human society from the exchange of molecules that occurs between two liquids separated by a permeable membrane. And the features which characterize the members of the class of phenomena singled out as the subject matter of a special science must have an axiomatic status for practitioners of that science, for if they reject them then they also reject the rationale for that science's existence.

Economics is not unique in requiring the adoption of certain assumptions as a pre-condition for using the mode of understanding it offers. Every science is founded on propositions that form the basis rather than the outcome of its investigations. For example, physics takes for granted the reality of the physical world it examines. Any piece of physical evidence it might offer has weight only if it is already assumed that the physical world is real. Nor can physicists demonstrate their assumption that the members of a sequence of similar physical measurements will bear some meaningful and consistent relationship to each other. Any test of a particular type of measurement must pre-suppose the validity of some other way of measuring against which the form under examination is to be judged.....What is notable about economics in this regard is just how much knowledge can be gained by hunting down the implications of its postulates. Carl Menger arrived at the great insight that the value of a good to an actor depends on its marginal utility to him based entirely on pursuing the consequences of the assumption that people act with the purpose of improving their circumstances. Mises's magnum opus, Human Action, is a magnificent display of the results that can be achieved along these lines.

here

Trust me, I understand von Mises more than most. One of the more absurd assumptions I see online is that “Praxeology” is the only methodology employed by Austrians. It hasn’t occurred to you that purely a priori propositions were rejected by von Hayek and by a good portion of Austrians influenced by Hayek. I hope you realize that.

It makes me think how von Hayek would have viewed the legions of Austrians on the internet prattling away about praxeology. The very notional that praxeology doesn’t require any empirical data or evidence is beyond reproach. If von Hayek were alive today, I’m sure he would classify Praxeology on par with Marxism. Literally.

As far as your post goes, it’s the more of the same. As with any a priori argument, based on Misesian theory and deductive reasoning, it must be true. No empirical evidence is required to prove von Mises’ theories correct. In the event the real world has a good amount of empirical data contractdicting von Mises, it’s viewed as irrelevant and will ultimately be explained away in a haphazard manner.

It should be clear to most economists why praxeology has tons of flaws. This apodictic certainty in praxeology dissipates under closer inspection. When we examine von Mises’ arguments, it can be ascertained that his reasoning is dependent upon synthetic propositions which are ultimately false in nature. Many of the inferences drawn from praxeology simply have no basis in reality. Ultimately, when Austrians make these assumptions, then throw in a priori reasoning to make inferences, their conclusions may possess some truth, but it’s based on a fantasy world where said assumptions are correct. Praxeology describes a world other than we live in on a daily basis. It’s about as imaginary as the yellow brick road.

I'm going to have to reread Human Action. It's been close to ten years.

You'll have that, with your central planner types. :lol:

The core conceit of economic central planers....The belief that because a lot -or even a majority- of people have done something in the past they'll do it again, despite the context of the times and the fact that humans are quirky, capricious and sometimes tempestuous.....The notion that you really can in fact push a rope.

here

Trust me, I understand von Mises more than most. One of the more absurd assumptions I see online is that “Praxeology” is the only methodology employed by Austrians. It hasn’t occurred to you that purely a priori propositions were rejected by von Hayek and by a good portion of Austrians influenced by Hayek. I hope you realize that.

It makes me think how von Hayek would have viewed the legions of Austrians on the internet prattling away about praxeology. The very notional that praxeology doesn’t require any empirical data or evidence is beyond reproach. If von Hayek were alive today, I’m sure he would classify Praxeology on par with Marxism. Literally.

As far as your post goes, it’s the more of the same. As with any a priori argument, based on Misesian theory and deductive reasoning, it must be true. No empirical evidence is required to prove von Mises’ theories correct. In the event the real world has a good amount of empirical data contractdicting von Mises, it’s viewed as irrelevant and will ultimately be explained away in a haphazard manner.

It should be clear to most economists why praxeology has tons of flaws. This apodictic certainty in praxeology dissipates under closer inspection. When we examine von Mises’ arguments, it can be ascertained that his reasoning is dependent upon synthetic propositions which are ultimately false in nature. Many of the inferences drawn from praxeology simply have no basis in reality. Ultimately, when Austrians make these assumptions, then throw in a priori reasoning to make inferences, their conclusions may possess some truth, but it’s based on a fantasy world where said assumptions are correct. Praxeology describes a world other than we live in on a daily basis. It’s about as imaginary as the yellow brick road.

Ah, more of the "it doesn't match central planner authority reality and is therefore, fantasyland".

A priori denotes knowledge that exists without reference to reality. Much like mathematics.

Can you break down for me these so called obvious (tons, I'll settle for two) flaws in Mises praxeology theory and also show the contradictory of real world observation and so called "empirical evidence"?

I'll wait.

Last edited:

here

Ah, more of the "it doesn't match central planner authority reality and is therefore, fantasyland".

A priori denotes knowledge that exists without reference to reality. Much like mathematics.

Can you break down for me these so called obvious (tons, I'll settle for two) flaws in Mises praxeology theory and also show the contradictory of real world observation and so called "empirical evidence"?

I'll wait.

I’m trying to be as blunt as possible to convey my point. Sorry. My primary issue with Praxeology is that it maintains to be apodictically certain. It’s pretty outrageous when you think about it. I’ve still never encountered anyone that can deduce economic law from the action axiom. They’ll inevitably make make assumptions which necessitate empirical evidence. Therefore, Praxeology’s assertion that it’s entirely a proiri isn’t exactly Kosher to say the least.

Dude, they're right there in Human Action. Off the top of my head, his assumptions about comparative advantage and free trade for one.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back