Possible no more Twinkies and Wonder Bread

Hostess announced plans to liquidate this morning. While many lives will be disrupted, the employees have done the right thing by rejecting the vulture capitalist's ultimatums. We have passed the point where we can trust capitalists to act in ways which will serve the American People. They have shown themselves to be unworthy of our trust. They have betrayed us. We should instead turn to the valiant Hostess workers for inspiration. By rejecting the outrageous terms dictated to them by the parasites who own Hostess, they have struck a blow for working Americans.

Interestingly enough, the Teamsters disagree with you...

The BCTGM (Bakery, Confectionary, Tobacco and Grain Millers International Union) chose a different path, as is their prerogative...

Ultimately, of course, the actions of BCTGM may be proven to have been misdirected. Nevertheless, someone had to stand against the assault on workers by predatory capitalism. The battle had to begin somewhere. Maybe the next vulture capitalist who considers gutting a company will think twice before launching his attack.

Last edited:
I love it when idiot union members,Obama supporters – unthinking mobs – shoot themselves in the foot. It’s happened again.Hostess CEO Gregory Rayburn made it clear to the unions and to the media that he would flat-out close – shut down – any Hostess facilities that were no longer able to produce and deliver products because of union action. The unions chose to ignore his warning and went on strike last Friday. Who knows, maybe they were feeling emboldened by the victory of their hero Barack Obama $3562723908.gif. Well, union dude, here’s a hint. Those are NOT your jobs. Those jobs belong to the company – to Hostess. They created those jobs, not you. You were looking for a job. They had a job. You found the job. It’s theirs. They let you do it in exchange for money and benefits. You didn’t give them a damn thing. You traded work for money.

3rd thread so far, I know of more junk, food junkies. They'll be more threads

Many more once you add in the Bloombergian food Nazi's too.

Many more still until the Lefties get their talking points from on high to reconcile their contradictory feelings about the rights of union workers and their glee at seeing a mildly unhealthy food choice taken off the shelves. Seriously which way are you leaning?

I'll hazard a guess. No one should sell unhealthy food but unions. That it :confused:

The closing of the Hostess plants in Cincinnati, Seattle and St. Louis appears to be an object lesson in the evils of vulture capitalism.

Hostess is owned by Ripplewood Holdings, a vulture capital firm, and two hedge funds, Silver Point Capital and Monarch Alternative Capital. As is typical for such parasites, they have loaded the company with debt and are slashing employment and benefits to maintain their profits.

According the union's fact sheet, Hostess has demanded a bankruptcy court allow:

An immediate 8% wage reduction;

The shift of at least 20% more health care costs onto its employees;

Elimination of the employees’ W-1 (retiree medigap insurance) and P-Plan (a pension supplement used to pay health and funeral costs);

Closure of additional plants (10-12), refusing to tell the union which plants are profitable, which plants will be closed, why, etc.

Elimination of the eight-hour work day.

"Outside of court, Hostess unilaterally stopped paying its pension obligations (that is its hourly contributions to the workers’ pension funds), in violation of federal labor law.

These outrages must be stopped. The Hostess workers are standing strong against predatory capitalism for the rights of all American worker. They deserve every patriotic American's full support.

It was the fault of Hostess executives. Period.

Ask yourself, what changes of any significance, in the Hostess product line or branding, have occurred in your lifetime. Not much, if any, yeah? And brands do not manage themselves; here's what happened:

They had a great product, with good product depth. And a brand that ruled the national market, even in areas where loved local products had great mind share and loyalty, ie. Tasty Cakes in PA/NJ. They had an unbeatable model, both in products, brand, market awareness / acceptance and a distribution model few if any could afford to match, and certainly not nationally.

So they coasted on that. Did nothing to evolve their products or brand in significant way, even as Twinkies began getting negative brand recognition, as being some plastic food with a million year shelf life (brand aspect, not actually). So while perceptions and consumer wants evolved, and Snackwells, energy drinks, power bars, etc, etc, came into the market, slowly chipping away, Hostess did nothing to adapt to new market demands and competition.

Poor corporate management. End of story.

Last edited:
The closing of the Hostess plants in Cincinnati, Seattle and St. Louis appears to be an object lesson in the evils of vulture capitalism.

Hostess is owned by Ripplewood Holdings, a vulture capital firm, and two hedge funds, Silver Point Capital and Monarch Alternative Capital. As is typical for such parasites, they have loaded the company with debt and are slashing employment and benefits to maintain their profits.

According the union's fact sheet, Hostess has demanded a bankruptcy court allow:

An immediate 8% wage reduction;

The shift of at least 20% more health care costs onto its employees;

Elimination of the employees’ W-1 (retiree medigap insurance) and P-Plan (a pension supplement used to pay health and funeral costs);

Closure of additional plants (10-12), refusing to tell the union which plants are profitable, which plants will be closed, why, etc.

Elimination of the eight-hour work day.

"Outside of court, Hostess unilaterally stopped paying its pension obligations (that is its hourly contributions to the workers’ pension funds), in violation of federal labor law.

These outrages must be stopped. The Hostess workers are standing strong against predatory capitalism for the rights of all American worker. They deserve every patriotic American's full support.

Ask yourself, what changes of any significance, in the Hostess product line or branding, have occurred in your lifetime. Not much, if any, yeah? And brands do not manage themselves; here's what happened:

They had a great product, with good product depth. And a brand that ruled the national market, even in areas where loved local products had great mind share and loyalty, ie. Tasty Cakes in PA/NJ. They had an unbeatable model, both in products, brand, market awareness / acceptance and a distribution model few if any could afford to match, and certainly not nationally.

So they coasted on that. Did nothing to evolve their products or brand in significant way, even as Twinkies began getting negative brand recognition, as being some plastic food with a million year shelf life (brand aspect, not actually). So while perceptions and consumer wants evolved, and Snackwells, energy drinks, power bars, etc, etc, came into the market, slowly chipping away, Hostess did nothing to adapt to new market demands and competition.

Says the person who has not one freaking clue what he/she is talking about.
End of Story.

End of Story.

Perhaps. Have you been a senior executive for multinatonals corporations, for decades? Maybe you've sat on the board of a foriegn corporation or three? Or have a couple of decades experience as a VP-level marketing executive?

What is it you wish to school me on? (tip: I can answer yes to every question in para 1)

End of Story.

Perhaps. Have you been a senior executive for multinatonals corporations, for decades? Maybe you've sat on the board of a foriegn corporation or three? Or have a couple of decades experience as a VP-level marketing executive?

What is it you wish to school me on? (tip: I can answer yes to every question in para 1)

And UFO's cruise by my house every night. :lol:
Anyone experienced in running a business would not claim to know "the real story" of why this business fails or succeeds without knowing detailed analysis. If you would have began your opinion as "Well I think..." then all would be fine and dandy. But to come here and claim to know exactly what happened "Period" - is a bit of a stretch unless YOU sat on the board, or held a position with the company.
You do not know....
1) Sales figures.
2) Capital expenses.
3) Lost/Won sales data.
4) Cost of operation historically and current.
5) Trial balance sheets.
6) Competition

Etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.....you know nothing. And any senior manager worth his weight in sand would not make such a definite claim without inside knowledge.

Last edited:
End of Story.

And UFO's cruise by my house every night. :lol:
Anyone experienced in running a business would not claim to know "the real story" of why this business fails or succeeds without knowing detailed analysis. If you would have began your opinion as "Well I think..." then all would be fine and dandy. But to come here and claim to know exactly what happened "Period" - is a bit of a stretch unless YOU sat on the board, or held a position with the company.
You do not know....
1) Sales figures.
2) Capital expenses.
3) Lost/Won sales data.
4) Cost of operation historically and current.
5) Trial balance sheets.
6) Competition

Etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.....you know nothing. And any senior manager worth his weight in sand would not hazard a guess without inside knowledge.

No doubt, assuming you're not out there spotting and identifying everything flying over your house.

And no, Hostess hasn't opened the kimono for me, albeit, I do not have a binding letter of intent to acquire them, and thus they'd have no reason to do so.

But I can spot a brand that's coasting, and has been most of my adult life. And I can spot trends in consumer-buying, at the point-of-sale where other products competing for the need Hostess product fill. I can also sense parents' aversion to putting less healthy (seeming) products in childrens' lunch boxes. I know the bad rep processed sugars are accruing. And most of these things should be known even to casual observers, and typical consumers.

So let me ask you: what has Hostess done to overcome those barriers that have been going up, increasingly, throughout the last 30 years of their products' life-cycle? Anything of signficance?

Last edited:
So let me ask you: what has Hostess done to overcome those barriers that have been going up, increasingly, throughout the last 30 years of their products' life-cycle? Anything of signficance?

I don't have a clue. I therefore made no definitive claim, one way or the other, what "really happened".

I don't have a clue. I therefore made no definitive claim, one way or the other, what "really happened".

Sure you did. By contradicting mine, it assumes another claim is correct. So what is your claim, in contrast to mine?

Sure you did. By contradicting mine, it assumes another claim is correct. So what is your claim, in contrast to mine?

No.
My "claim" is that you don't know enough about the cost/sales of the company to make an absolute stand that "this is what happened" period.
What is the average unit cost of competitive products? We don't know.
Is Little Debbie (Mckee Foods) unionized?

No.
My "claim" is that you don't know enough about the cost/sales of the company to make an absolute stand that "this is what happened" period.
What is the average unit cost of competitive products? We don't know.
Is Little Debbie (Mckee Foods) unionized?

Never claimed to. I said they let their brand wither on the vine, which they have. And that's death to a national brand consumer product. And Little Debbie, Tasty Cakes, etc have entirely different models and markets. They're localized and sell well where they have terrific regional loyalty, as being part of the local fabric.

An example would be Pat's Steak. For Philly cheesesteaks, they're a local favorite, and THE cheesesteak. To folks outside of Philadelphia, it's greasy, tasteless junk. Or Dick's Drive-In in Seattle, also greasy an not understood by outsiders. But there's a brand benefit when eating them: Pat's = quintessentially Philly; Dick's = quintessentially Seattle. When we eat it, we're being connected to our loved local culture.

Hard to do in national brands, albeit, Starbuck's has come close: the drinks many order are, in their minds, uniquely their own, and thus they're more personally connected to the brand.

But on national consumer brands, you have to carefullly build and focus your brand, based on consumer wants (perceived). So when Scope's better-tasting solution to eliminating bad breath took share from Listerine, they combatted it: The Taste People Hate, Twice A Day. Bingo. Nasty-tasting = more effective bad breath elinimation; Scope by default, is less effective in killing bad breath. Now Scope's core brand benefit is a brand-negative. Good-tasting becomes, sweet, ineffective. And Listerine grabbed market-share back and even gained.

Last edited:
Ultimately, the "vulture capitalist", so called, serves much the same purpose in cleansing the market as its namesake does in the wild, to pick the bones of the dead and dying.

1) would you rather have the food go to waste??

2) anyway, as a very slow liberal you are 1000% wrong since the first thing any new owner wants to do is buy it for x and make worth x+1000%. This is so obvious only a liberal would not know it. Why not go out and spy for Hitler and Stalin again?

Obama will use taxpayer money to bail out Hostess and give it to the union. The execs will get big bonuses and retire. The Union workers will sell off the company to the Chinese and retire. Hostess operations will move overseas. The Chinese will begin making Twinkies for $.01 a piece, and sell them to us for a buck. Don't forget - it's all Bush's fault !$3562723908.gif

Obama will use taxpayer money to bail out Hostess and give it to the union. The execs will get big bonuses and retire. The Union workers will sell off the company to the Chinese and retire. Hostess operations will move overseas. The Chinese will begin making Twinkies for $.01 a piece, and sell them to us for a buck. Don't forget - it's all Bush's fault !View attachment 22588

When the unions have finally driven 50 million jobs overseas a light will go off in their heads telling them that capitalism is better than their union thug violence.

Come to think of it if they can band together to demand higher wages why don't we as consumers band together to demand lower prices. We could be a consumer union!! What a great idea!! Who needs capitalism?? Why do poor people have to pay the same prices in the supermarket as rich people when they don't have to pay the same taxes. I demand lower prices for poor people.

Last edited:
Ultimately, the "vulture capitalist", so called, serves much the same purpose in cleansing the market as its namesake does in the wild, to pick the bones of the dead and dying.

1) would you rather have the food go to waste??

2) anyway, as a very slow liberal you are 1000% wrong since the first thing any new owner wants to do is buy it for x and make worth x+1000%. This is so obvious only a liberal would not know it. Why not go out and spy for Hitler and Stalin again?

I am definitely not a liberal. And for the record, I hate to admit that I agree with you, because it’s clear that most of the time you have no clue what you’re talking about; yes, “any new owner wants to… make.. x+1000%.” (You, sir, are a master of the obvious). I never said otherwise. The name of this thread before it was merged was “Hostess and Vulture Capitalism”; I was simply implying that in situations where a liquidation is the goal, it is usually because the company is dead or dying, and the “vulture capitalist” eliminates what remains and wrings whatever value is left out of the assets; surely a useful service. Even one of the items I quoted was “As a rule, private equity takes on the most troubled companies because turning them around offers the biggest profit opportunities.” This was not a case of vulture capitalism, and it would appear that the owner, Ripplewood Holdings, will lose most of its $170 million investment; not their plan, I’m sure. Reading for context and comprehension are valuable skills; you should try to attain them.

Interesting side note: Ripplewood Holdings is owned by Tim Collins, a Democrat who also spent a year in the Sudan working at a refugee camp. He was introduced to this opportunity by the Gephardt Group, owned by former Democratic House majority leader Dick Gephardt. So you see, both sides are interested in making money.

Forum List

Back