Die For My Country?

Of course I would die for my country for example ww2 or Afghanistan but Viet Nam? Iraq? Korea? I can't say yes.

I'm watching a Russell crowe war movie (sucks) and these guys get up out of their fox holes and get shot or blown up and I think, what could be worth me Loosing my life? What was Iraq or Viet Nam even about anyways? It's why I give soldiers a lot of credit. You're saying for like ten years give or take the military can pretty much do whatever they want with you.

And any conservative that argues has to defend bush invading Iraq. Even the GOP won't even do that anymore. His own brother won't.

And all you anti government conservatives need to realize it's the slimeball politicians you supposedly hate and don't trust that decides if we go to war.

I find it Republicans don't trust government except when it comes to the military industrial complex. Probably the main thing bankrupting us. Let's be Canada or Australia.

Democrats have put us into two world wars, "Police Actions" in Korea and Vietnam with over a million casualties and LBJ arguably helped create the military industrial complex....... So.... You were saying?
I wasn't even alive then. That's like saying Republicans aren't racist because it was Lincoln that freed the slaves. That was pre civil rights movement stupid.

Who wanted us to get out of Viet Nam? It was the liberal hippies. And who called those liberal hippies names? Your side. So don't give me that shit about Democrats taking us to war. Bush 1 took us to Iraq. Clinton had ZERO enemy fire casualties in Kosovo so that wasn't really a war. Bush 2 got us into two quagmires Iraq and Afganistan. And if either party wants war with Iran that would be the GOP. So eat a liberal sausage dummy.

You should ask yourself who got us out of Vietnam and that persona was Nixon. He was a serious scumbag but that is one thing he did right. The modern military industrial complex that you rail against is a DEMOCRAT construct. It was a Republican (Eisenhower) that warned us of its intentions, but it was a DEMOCRAT that helped found it. And that complex is still driving the boat to this day and you waste time whining about Repubs. You need to realize that BOTH parties are in it.

Well, the politicians are in it for themselves I should have said. Repub, Democrat, they are two peas in a pod. And we are the ones who get squished.
It is very sad that so many Americans are duped by the political parties into becoming foolish partisans of one or the other, when both are fleecing us of our rights and wealth, while enriching and empowering themselves. If only we Americans could come together and get rid of these stinking lying bastards that make up our political class.
People who vote GOP vote status quo. People who vote democratic party vote for change.

Of course I would die for my country for example ww2 or Afghanistan but Viet Nam? Iraq? Korea? I can't say yes.

I'm watching a Russell crowe war movie (sucks) and these guys get up out of their fox holes and get shot or blown up and I think, what could be worth me Loosing my life? What was Iraq or Viet Nam even about anyways? It's why I give soldiers a lot of credit. You're saying for like ten years give or take the military can pretty much do whatever they want with you.

And any conservative that argues has to defend bush invading Iraq. Even the GOP won't even do that anymore. His own brother won't.

And all you anti government conservatives need to realize it's the slimeball politicians you supposedly hate and don't trust that decides if we go to war.

I find it Republicans don't trust government except when it comes to the military industrial complex. Probably the main thing bankrupting us. Let's be Canada or Australia.

Democrats have put us into two world wars, "Police Actions" in Korea and Vietnam with over a million casualties and LBJ arguably helped create the military industrial complex....... So.... You were saying?
I wasn't even alive then. That's like saying Republicans aren't racist because it was Lincoln that freed the slaves. That was pre civil rights movement stupid.

Who wanted us to get out of Viet Nam? It was the liberal hippies. And who called those liberal hippies names? Your side. So don't give me that shit about Democrats taking us to war. Bush 1 took us to Iraq. Clinton had ZERO enemy fire casualties in Kosovo so that wasn't really a war. Bush 2 got us into two quagmires Iraq and Afganistan. And if either party wants war with Iran that would be the GOP. So eat a liberal sausage dummy.

You should ask yourself who got us out of Vietnam and that persona was Nixon. He was a serious scumbag but that is one thing he did right. The modern military industrial complex that you rail against is a DEMOCRAT construct. It was a Republican (Eisenhower) that warned us of its intentions, but it was a DEMOCRAT that helped found it. And that complex is still driving the boat to this day and you waste time whining about Repubs. You need to realize that BOTH parties are in it.

Well, the politicians are in it for themselves I should have said. Repub, Democrat, they are two peas in a pod. And we are the ones who get squished.
It is very sad that so many Americans are duped by the political parties into becoming foolish partisans of one or the other, when both are fleecing us of our rights and wealth, while enriching and empowering themselves. If only we Americans could come together and get rid of these stinking lying bastards that make up our political class.
People who vote GOP vote status quo. People who vote democratic party vote for change.
People who vote Democratic Party. Vote partisan party line. Period.

I agree. People who vote should vote democratic party. Straight ticket.

So, you WANT the military industrial complex to rule this country. Is that what you're saying?

Nixon also legalized abortion. Shows you how far right your party has gone.

And look who the war mongers are now. Now you guys want war with Iran?

I'm a Democrat dumbass. It is MY party that is placing us in all these wars. The Repubs put us into Grenada, Panama, and Afghanistan/Iraq. Obama is putting us into Syria, Libya, who knows how many countries in Africa, and is still keeping us in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Your point is STUPID.

So, you WANT the military industrial complex to rule this country. Is that what you're saying?
Nope.

Nixon also legalized abortion. Shows you how far right your party has gone.

And look who the war mongers are now. Now you guys want war with Iran?

I'm a Democrat dumbass. It is MY party that is placing us in all these wars. The Repubs put us into Grenada, Panama, and Afghanistan/Iraq. Obama is putting us into Syria, Libya, who knows how many countries in Africa, and is still keeping us in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Your point is STUPID.
Turkey is letting us use their airspace. Now the terrorists are 100 miles away not 1000. Stop armchair qb'ing the commander n chief. Africa? We're at war in Africa?

McCain or Romney would have done what better?

Nobody ever took an oath to die for their Country and Russel Crowe is just an actor. Pop-culture educated idiots often confuse Hollywood with reality and they think they can pick and chose which war they like and quit the others. More Troops died in stupid accidents during the four years of WW2 and more strategic mistakes were made than all deaths in the Iraq/Afghanistan conflict. Since WW2 is now considered to be the "good war", pop culture idiots imagine they would willingly die in it but if it was the real deal they would be looking for John Wayne to save their sorry asses.

Sealybobo, imagine a group walking into your hometown, rounding up every teacher, every policeman, every city councilman, every 'leader' or person looked up to as an 'authority figure', and then killed. The North Vietnemese did this in order to subjugate all of Viet Nam. That's the kind of thing America opposes.

There was a great man who once said America would pay any price, bear any burden, to stand with those who fought for freedom. Another great man, Henry Parker (Peter Parker's dad) once said, 'With great Power comes great responsibility.' These men understood that we are all in a struggle to live freely, un-oppressed, and those who have been blessed as we have have the responsibility to help others less capable to do so....rather than hide behind our borders.

THAT being said...with great power aldso comes great STUPIDITY. The military is a tool and the last alternative for a nation to achieve its goals when all others have been exhausted and have failed. Commanders / Commanders-and-Chiefs give the milyary their objective / overall goal..and then should get out of the way...but often don't. Viet Nam was such a case. What happens when politicians try to run the military, professionals who plan and train every day to do their job? Viet nam.

Boys right out of high school were sent overseas to fight. They returned to be spat on and called baby killers, vilified for carrying out what their government ordered them to do. The government did such awsome things like filing bomber flight plans with N. Vietnemese Air Traffic Controllers, who would in turn notify our enemy of where our target was. They in turn would make sure the target was not there when we got there. They also did things like agree to make N. Vietnam's capital and all of their SAMs there off limits, hand-cuffing the military.

I'm a Conservative. I think invading Iraq was an admirable idea if done to free innocents from a saddistic tyranical butcher...but that was not the case. Invading Iraq for the reasons we did was a mistake. One liberated, though, allowing ISIS to some in uncontested to take over much of the country that had been liberated at great cost by our military was just as big of a mistake.

One final thing...Bush, at least, was given the authority to go to war, by Republicans and Democrats alike.... WHERE is your condemnation for Obama for taking the country to war on his own, without any such given authority, to help Al Qaeida - perpetrators of both 9/11/01 and 9/11/12 - take over Libya?

Nobody ever took an oath to die for their Country and Russel Crowe is just an actor. Pop-culture educated idiots often confuse Hollywood with reality and they think they can pick and chose which war they like and quit the others. More Troops died in stupid accidents during the four years of WW2 and more strategic mistakes were made than all deaths in the Iraq/Afghanistan conflict. Since WW2 is now considered to be the "good war", pop culture idiots imagine they would willingly die in it but if it was the real deal they would be looking for John Wayne to save their sorry asses.

I beg to differ. I did take an oath to defend my country from enemies foreign and domestic, to die in the service of my country if that is what it took. I have served all over the war, seen and experienced what some people only see in movies yet love to talk about like they are some kind of expert. I agree with you regarding the WAY many servicemen have died, but those way to not demean their lives or their service...or the oath we all took. There are many who have joined for the 'free education', '3 hots and a cot', etc... I agree that no war is a 'good war', and no one prays for peace more than those of us who have to fight them. I and my fellow commrades, however, have given that oath.

None of these wars actually took place for your country. Maximal WW2 can be counted as such. The other wars were senseless aggressions.

If you wouldn't be willing to die for your country in Vietnam or Iraq or anywhere else it sends you I don't believe for a heartbeat you would have been willing to do so in WWII or any other conflict. And-because of that-I certainly don't consider it your country. WTF told you you were wise enough, or important enough, to decide what conflicts this country becomes involved in? Do you honestly believe others will cease attacking us if we don't want to fight? You are simply handing yourself and others some serious BS

When I deployed for Desert Storm, I was at Ft.Benning, Ft.Bragg....I honestly cannot remember. But in any sense, we had about a dozen...OR MORE guys litterly go over the wire. They showed up, in processed, took all the classes ( Commo - recert with weapon - LAWS rocket & AT4, First Aid.....ect..ect..ect ) The next morning, when it was time to get on the bus to go to the airport, they were gone. About a dozen or so soldiers..........up and left in the middle of the night, they were not going to the Middle East. I guess the news of the SCUD missiles, the repeated news stories of Saddam having nerve and blister agents, really got to them. All the hard corp trained infantrymen, Airborne qualified soldiers...machine gunners and others ; decided that they were not going to a foreign land. But yet, they previously paraded around in Berets ( Airborne - red colored ) wearing patches and badges on Military Posts and their hometown. But they were not tough enough, nor did they have the intestinal fortitude to help defend an nation. And the war only lasted about.......what, a hundred days = Thank you Generals Schwarzkopf and Powell.

A hundred day war, and they were left out on the taste of Victory. They were left out on the crowds of civilians at the airports, whom supported and cheered a proud military. They could not take part in the parties and celebrations that were held for the service men and women who defeated Saddam Hussein and his puppet Nazi war machine. They set at home, with their heads hung low ; while watching television, their names on a Federal Register. No benefits, no financial aid, No college assistance and a host of other downfalls they never fathomed ; from deserting their nation, their military and their God. A name and a social security number on dozens of US Government Documents and computer systems.........that says that this person is ultimately a fraud, a liar, a cheat and a coward. Somewhere down the road, they will have to pay for their failure. Those men whom failed to deploy.......are a disgrace to those whom lost their lives in combat while deployed for Operation Desert Storm.

When you take an oath, you take an oath to defend the United States Government against all enemy's foreign and domestic. To obey the lawful orders of those appointed over you.

( keyword is lawful, you do not have to follow an unlawful order...and you have a duty to report all unlawful orders. Yes, you can question authority if you do it correctly...not everyone is perfect regardless of Military rank or time in service )

Your job is to defend a nation, watch your partners back , complete the mission and then come home alive. Some people do not make it home alive, they come home in a flag draped coffin. I hope that each and every person, whom GOES OVER the wire thinks of that. They let their fellow Soldier and their Government down........by cheating on their promise. The promise they make at MEPS ( Military Entrance Processing Station ).

Shadow 355

When I deployed for Desert Storm, I was at Ft.Benning, Ft.Bragg....I honestly cannot remember. But in any sense, we had about a dozen...OR MORE guys litterly go over the wire. They showed up, in processed, took all the classes ( Commo - recert with weapon - LAWS rocket & AT4, First Aid.....ect..ect..ect ) The next morning, when it was time to get on the bus to go to the airport, they were gone. About a dozen or so soldiers..........up and left in the middle of the night, they were not going to the Middle East. I guess the news of the SCUD missiles, the repeated news stories of Saddam having nerve and blister agents, really got to them. All the hard corp trained infantrymen, Airborne qualified soldiers...machine gunners and others ; decided that they were not going to a foreign land. But yet, they previously paraded around in Berets ( Airborne - red colored ) wearing patches and badges on Military Posts and their hometown. But they were not tough enough, nor did they have the intestinal fortitude to help defend an nation. And the war only lasted about.......what, a hundred days = Thank you Generals Schwarzkopf and Powell.

A hundred day war, and they were left out on the taste of Victory. They were left out on the crowds of civilians at the airports, whom supported and cheered a proud military. They could not take part in the parties and celebrations that were held for the service men and women who defeated Saddam Hussein and his puppet Nazi war machine. They set at home, with their heads hung low ; while watching television, their names on a Federal Register. No benefits, no financial aid, No college assistance and a host of other downfalls they never fathomed ; from deserting their nation, their military and their God. A name and a social security number on dozens of US Government Documents and computer systems.........that says that this person is ultimately a fraud, a liar, a cheat and a coward. Somewhere down the road, they will have to pay for their failure. Those men whom failed to deploy.......are a disgrace to those whom lost their lives in combat while deployed for Operation Desert Storm.

When you take an oath, you take an oath to defend the United States Government against all enemy's foreign and domestic. To obey the lawful orders of those appointed over you.

( keyword is lawful, you do not have to follow an unlawful order...and you have a duty to report all unlawful orders. Yes, you can question authority if you do it correctly...not everyone is perfect regardless of Military rank or time in service )

Your job is to defend a nation, watch your partners back , complete the mission and then come home alive. Some people do not make it home alive, they come home in a flag draped coffin. I hope that each and every person, whom GOES OVER the wire thinks of that. They let their fellow Soldier and their Government down........by cheating on their promise. The promise they make at MEPS ( Military Entrance Processing Station ).

Shadow 355
I made this post while watching a movie where a commander tell his soldiers to get out of their fox holes and run into enemy fire. A lawful command. I'm just thinking is taking down Saddam worth your life? Was Nam worth your life?

You only have one life.

Maybe if instead of 20 year olds we send 60 year olds to war? You still have a lot of life to live.

And every soldier killed is one less person collecting a social security check. Jk, sorta. Why is it 60 year olds sending 20 year olds to war? Why don't they go fight?

But I do respect and appreciate you.

I don't remember what I was listening to but this guy was talking about how anyone who goes to the service thinks they will be brave in the line of fire but not everyone is. I bet those cowards never dreamed they'd go to war. My whole childhood I feared a war and draft at my age and God damn when I turned 17 bush invaded Iraq. I protested against the war. I was in college.

Last edited:

I beg to differ. I did take an oath to defend my country from enemies foreign and domestic, to die in the service of my country if that is what it took. I have served all over the war, seen and experienced what some people only see in movies yet love to talk about like they are some kind of expert. I agree with you regarding the WAY many servicemen have died, but those way to not demean their lives or their service...or the oath we all took. There are many who have joined for the 'free education', '3 hots and a cot', etc... I agree that no war is a 'good war', and no one prays for peace more than those of us who have to fight them. I and my fellow commrades, however, have given that oath.
I took the same oath and I don't remember the part that says "to die in the service of my Country if that's what it took". The "Greatest Generation" is no exaggeration and Korean Veterans fought and died in a political war for three years only to find that the media called it the "forgotten war". I'm part of the Vietnam generation and I used think they were pretty whiny about the whole thing until the freaking Iraq/Afghanistan generation who volunteered and lived better and spent less time under fire but have become the whiniest generation yet.

[
I made this post while watching a movie where a commander tell his soldiers to get out of their fox holes and run into enemy fire. A lawful command. I'm just thinking is taking down Saddam worth your life? Was Nam worth your life?

You only have one life.

Maybe if instead of 20 year olds we send 60 year olds to war? You still have a lot of life to live.

And every soldier killed is one less person collecting a social security check. Jk, sorta. Why is it 60 year olds sending 20 year olds to war? Why don't they go fight?

I don't remember what I was listening to but this guy was talking about how anyone who goes to the service thinks they will be brave in the line of fire but not everyone is. I bet those cowards never dreamed they'd go to war. My whole childhood I feared a war and draft at my age and God damn when I turned 17 bush invaded Iraq. I protested against the war. I was in college.

We had 50 year olds and some in their older 50s that deployed to "Desert Storm". Previously they were civilians, but they put back on the uniform when Saddam decided he was the Son of, Brother of Adolph Hitler.

BUT, all the men that I knew of were either high ranking Non-Commissioned Officers = "NCO's" in the rank of E-7 ( Sergeant First Class ) or Warrant Officers. Most were warrants though.

Both were in technical fields = Communications, Medical, Mechanic such as heavy vehicle repair, electrical repair, intelligence... and other mind boggling fields ; and none that "I seen" that WERE RECALLED, were trigger pullers. They were all in technical fields.

Warrant Officers walk on water, no one in their right mind would mess with one. Warrant Officers are truly considered....."Experts" in their field = Aviation, Criminal Investigation, Intelligence, Medical, Vehicle and Tank Repair, Infantry, Field Artillery.....and other career fields.

For Warrant Officer = Last track I had when I was in. Army, you had to be an E-6 ( Staff Sergeant ) or be an E-5 ( Sergeant ) promotable, on the promotion list to E-6. And you had to have either 5 or 6 years in your career field if I am correct.

You had to submit a packet, be eligible for a security clearance ( no criminal activity - no excessive debt / late bills - no domestic violence's - NO HISTORY of drug use and no punishments / judicial or non judicial article 15s ), and your career field had to be within strength...meaning it cannot be overflowing or over strength with Warrant Officers. Warrant Officers now.....is a competitive field.....and it is very hard ; extremely hard to knock one off of the totem poll.....even for a Commissioned Officer. Warrants can get by with a lot of stuff, even arguments.....that others cannot.

Warrant Officer class is very hard, both physically ( Physical Training ) and academically. But once you get that silver bar with a black square on your hat......Batman and Superman can not touch you, even with Underdogs help. But with a Warrant Officer bar on your cap......comes mounds and mounds of responsibility. Mounds of it.

Shadow 355

[

You only have one life.

We had 50 year olds and some in their older 50s that deployed to "Desert Storm". Previously they were civilians, but they put back on the uniform when Saddam decided he was the Son of, Brother of Adolph Hitler.

BUT, all the men that I knew of were either high ranking Non-Commissioned Officers = "NCO's" in the rank of E-7 ( Sergeant First Class ) or Warrant Officers. Most were warrants though.

Both were in technical fields = Communications, Medical, Mechanic such as heavy vehicle repair, electrical repair, intelligence... and other mind boggling fields ; and none that "I seen" that WERE RECALLED, were trigger pullers. They were all in technical fields.

Warrant Officers walk on water, no one in their right mind would mess with one. Warrant Officers are truly considered....."Experts" in their field = Aviation, Criminal Investigation, Intelligence, Medical, Vehicle and Tank Repair, Infantry, Field Artillery.....and other career fields.

For Warrant Officer = Last track I had when I was in. Army, you had to be an E-6 ( Staff Sergeant ) or be an E-5 ( Sergeant ) promotable, on the promotion list to E-6. And you had to have either 5 or 6 years in your career field if I am correct.

You had to submit a packet, be eligible for a security clearance ( no criminal activity - no excessive debt / late bills - no domestic violence's - NO HISTORY of drug use and no punishments / judicial or non judicial article 15s ), and your career field had to be within strength...meaning it cannot be overflowing or over strength with Warrant Officers. Warrant Officers now.....is a competitive field.....and it is very hard ; extremely hard to knock one off of the totem poll.....even for a Commissioned Officer. Warrants can get by with a lot of stuff, even arguments.....that others cannot.

Warrant Officer class is very hard, both physically ( Physical Training ) and academically. But once you get that silver bar with a black square on your hat......Batman and Superman can not touch you, even with Underdogs help. But with a Warrant Officer bar on your cap......comes mounds and mounds of responsibility. Mounds of it.

Shadow 355
Even though they go to Iraq as high ranking officers I still give them mad respect because they are huge targets for suicide bombs or ied's.

I agree about this generation being soft. I wonder if that softness is reflected in the soldiers. A buddy of mine was telling how they don't haze anymore. No physical contact.

Forum List

Back